Warning ! Window fell out on T6 !!!!!!!!

A bit of 2”x 2” jammed between left and right side windows will prevent this.

Update : 3 months with a piece of plexi taped over the window that fell out and finally 2 weeks ago had the windows replaced by VW . I say 'windows' because although only the one leaked / fell out VW insisted on changing both sides . On my receipt it says 'replaced under warranty' - my T6 is a 2016 so am assuming that this is under the 12 year bodywork corossion one [?] as the 3 year manufacturers one is spent . My local VW dealership where I bought the vehicle new from [ Carrs Cornwall ] were excellent I must say although the majority of things were dealt with under case number by the manufacturer . As I said in the earlier posts I did a DVSA report as well so that the problem is properly recorded for future reference . Let's face it the leaking is simply not good enough especially as it has been a known issue - now with potential consequences . Should anyone want anymore information just ask and I will be pleased to help if I can :thumbsup:

Update : 3 months with a piece of plexi taped over the window that fell out and finally 2 weeks ago had the windows replaced by VW . I say 'windows' because although only the one leaked / fell out VW insisted on changing both sides . On my receipt it says 'replaced under warranty' - my T6 is a 2016 so am assuming that this is under the 12 year bodywork corossion one [?] as the 3 year manufacturers one is spent . My local VW dealership where I bought the vehicle new from [ Carrs Cornwall ] were excellent I must say although the majority of things were dealt with under case number by the manufacturer . As I said in the earlier posts I did a DVSA report as well so that the problem is properly recorded for future reference . Let's face it the leaking is simply not good enough especially as it has been a known issue - now with potential consequences . Should anyone want anymore information just ask and I will be pleased to help if I can :thumbsup:
Pleased to hear that your personal situation has been resolved. Did you get any feedback/follow-up from the DVSA?

Pleased to hear that your personal situation has been resolved. Did you get any feedback/follow-up from the DVSA?
Thank you Bav :thumbsup: No I did not receive any follow up from the DVSA once VW UK agreed to replace the windows but I did notice a marked increase in communication from VW UK after I made the initial defect report to DVSA and was assigned a case number .

Thank you Bav :thumbsup: No I did not receive any follow up from the DVSA once VW UK agreed to replace the windows but I did notice a marked increase in communication from VW UK after I made the initial defect report to DVSA and was assigned a case number .
Hmmm, so they were aware of DVSA involvement and modified their behaviour accordingly. Great from your perspective, but I wonder how many individual cases need to be reported before the DVSA start treating the problem as a general design flaw that VW need to address, rather than just a series of one-off incidents.

Hmmm, so they were aware of DVSA involvement and modified their behaviour accordingly. Great from your perspective, but I wonder how many individual cases need to be reported before the DVSA start treating the problem as a general design flaw that VW need to address, rather than just a series of one-off incidents.
Exactly Bav . Prior to all of this I spoke to a car glass fitter who seemed well aware of not just the leaking seals but windows dropping out - in his own words 'the window normally ends up in the slider door footwell' ! Sounds like some have just had their windows replaced [ which you can just do under insurance I do believe ] without going the warranty route and therefore not informing VW .

Reactions: Bav
There are 4 x vw transporter kombi vans in our house and my 08 plate t5 when I got it last year it had something daft like 16,000 odd and was very clean condition it’s a twin slider and the leaky window is on the driver side one but the other one is bone dry. I,ll be double checking the both just incase. They decide to part ways with my van. I,ll also check the wife’s . Thanks for the heads up . At least no one was hurt. That’s the only good thing to come out of it. Vw are a shambles but it’s all down to money .

There are 4 x vw transporter kombi vans in our house and my 08 plate t5 when I got it last year it had something daft like 16,000 odd and was very clean condition it’s a twin slider and the leaky window is on the driver side one but the other one is bone dry. I,ll be double checking the both just incase. They decide to part ways with my van. I,ll also check the wife’s . Thanks for the heads up . At least no one was hurt. That’s the only good thing to come out of it. Vw are a shambles but it’s all down to money .
No worries Radford . The slider rail is bonded [ yes just bonded ! ] to the glass at the back but has a metal strip running along it which is what blows up under corrosion and allows enough 'drop' for the window to fall out . A good check is to just put downward pressure on the slider rail and watch for any movement .

Sorry to revive an old thread but wanted to add that exactly the same thing happened to me today in my 65 plate Transporter. Strangely also in Cornwall. Symptoms are identical and the photos of the corrosion in this thread look exactly like mine.

The glass fell out half way round a roundabout and landed on my three year old who was sat in his car seat. Luckily he was unharmed and found it hilarious.

I am the second owner of the vehicle so not sure if warranty applies but will be following up with the dealership where the van was purchased from in the morning.

Be careful everyone!

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
@Leaky windows just wondering if you ever heard anything from the DVSA on this. Feel like I should also report this as a safety issue.
You'd be doing doing everyone a favour if you reported it (and don't forget to emphasise what could have happened to your son - he was very fortunate).

@Leaky windows just wondering if you ever heard anything from the DVSA on this. Feel like I should also report this as a safety issue.
Firstly I am glad your son was not seriously hurt lowpitch - you probably realise now just how heavy the unit is ! This was exactly the scenario I was warning about in the original post what with the amount of us that did / still do carry young children in the rear 3 seats and mostly next to to the window. I reported to the DVSA who followed it up with VW. To be honest I had already contacted VW UK [ as well as my local dealership where I bought the T6 new ] who agreed to replace the entire units both sides [ I was out of warranty as well ] - so the DVSA were lagging behind my own process if you like. Hope it works out good for you. In the interim I bonded and taped some plexiglass across the now 'hole' which did a far better job of keeping the rain out than the problematic factory slider !

Also, Thinking about it, two cases in Cornwall - live on the coast by any chance. Sea air and all that?

Back