Warning ! Window fell out on T6 !!!!!!!!

Got me freaked out now as I’m my kids sit in the back and both sides leak.

Anyway we can check these before something bad happens??

This is the first I’ve seen of this but must be more issues surely

I guess I could put pressure on the window from the outside to see if it collapses as a test??

I guess I could put pressure on the window from the outside to see if it collapses as a test??
Fully understandable with carrying the children around J88arv - as many Kombi owners do . You could probably do a test by applying downward pressure on the bottom slider whilst supporting the slider glass and see if there is any movement . The glass slider window is very heavy so be careful . It's a good idea to test especially as you have children . I hope by making owners aware of this that it could prevent a tragedy .

Fully understandable with carrying the children around J88arv - as many Kombi owners do . You could probably do a test by applying downward pressure on the bottom slider whilst supporting the slider glass and see if there is any movement . The glass slider window is very heavy so be careful . It's a good idea to test especially as you have children . I hope by making owners aware of this that it could prevent a tragedy .
I will have a go shortly, I have had the windows out to try and fix the leak issue and yep quite weighty. I’ve pushed from the outside and no movement so will get inside in a moment

I guess the sliding door is probably going to be most likely to fall when getting shut unless you have fancy power latching.

I guess the sliding door is probably going to be most likely to fall when getting shut unless you have fancy power latching.
The straw that broke the camels back on my T6 slider window was the draught from an articulated lorry . The corrosion had put the slider rail on it's last legs [ unbeknown to me ] and the wind force tipped the balance forcing the glass panel into my Kombi - fortunately not decapitating my wife who was in the central seat [ badly shook though ] . Once that metal strip between the plastic slider rail and the glass [ which is hidden ] has deteriorated sufficiently vibration , door shutting , wind or anything else that puts pressure from the outside in will make the glass window fall out / fail .

Scary reading this, glad there wasn’t any injuries mate. I had both my sliders replaced under warranty for the second time yesterday. They leaked on my T5.1 also. Worrying as I am planning on keeping this T6.

Scary reading this, glad there wasn’t any injuries mate. I had both my sliders replaced under warranty for the second time yesterday. They leaked on my T5.1 also. Worrying as I am planning on keeping this T6.
Thanks John - I hope it alerts owners to the potential disaster waiting to happen . Frightened the life out of us when it happened as you can imagine . I have informed VW of the issue and have to wait for their response before reporting it to the DVSA for further investiagation . I would have thought that VW treat this with the utmost attention - anything else would be negligent .

Have you seen the lumps in VW’s carpet? What's one more issue to brush under it??!!
They may see the leaking as an issue to brush under the carpet but they would be absolutely foolhardy to ignore the dire consequences of it . I know what you mean though Gavinda - VW have never fully addressed their leaking windows .

They may see the leaking as an issue to brush under the carpet but they would be absolutely foolhardy to ignore the dire consequences of it . I know what you mean though Gavinda - VW have never fully addressed their leaking windows .
In a perfect world yes I agree, but VW will likely see it as foolhardy to recall thousands of vans for a very rare problem no matter how serious those few problems are. Everything is subject to a cost/benefit analysis even our safety, sadly.

In a perfect world yes I agree, but VW will likely see it as foolhardy to recall thousands of vans for a very rare problem no matter how serious those few problems are. Everything is subject to a cost/benefit analysis even our safety, sadly.
I don't disagree Gavinda but imagine the consequences of a death due to ignoring the end result of leaking windows - which is not a 'rare' problem looking around the forums . I can assure you that the person I spoke to today was very , very concerned at was has happened and agreed that if it could happen to me it could happen to anyone .

DVSA / GOV. official criteria - ticks every box .

What counts as a serious safety defect​

A serious safety defect is something:

• about the way the vehicle is designed or made that’s likely to cause injury or death
  • that happens suddenly and without warning

Faults with vehicles, parts and accessories​

Faults in the way vehicles, vehicle parts and accessories are designed or made have to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if they:
  • mean it could become unsafe in the future if it’s not fixed
  • could mean that the vehicle, part or accessory no longer meets the legal standard

I don't disagree Gavinda but imagine the consequences of a death due to ignoring the end result of leaking windows - which is not a 'rare' problem looking around the forums . I can assure you that the person I spoke to today was very , very concerned at was has happened and agreed that if it could happen to me it could happen to anyone .
I hope you don't think I'm trying to say you're anything other that 100% right, I'm not. I just don't have much faith that they'll do anything beyond maybe fix your van, offer you a free service and hope it's a one off.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to say you're anything other that 100% right, I'm not. I just don't have much faith that they'll do anything beyond maybe fix your van, offer you a free service and hope it's a one off.
No worries Gavinda - I totally agree with what you said in the first place :thumbsup:

Meantime, let’s start thinking what the fix could be and how to secure it.
Good idea Crazymind - could do with a safety measure / idea that would hold / catch the window if it blows in . Something man enough like a restrain rail over the top ? It's not until the slider rail falls off that you can see what a poor / dangerous fit this is . Bonding the slider rail straight to the fixed glass piece with all that weight / vibration / door shutting / wind and leaks etc ? Really VW ? The corrosion on the metal backing strip makes any leaks worse as it swells and pushes the slider rail inwards which in turn could twist / misalign anything above . Had a chap who fitted Land Rover windows look at it and he just shook his head in disbelief noting that they rivetted everything [ not suggesting that here ] . The problem is that even if the bottom slider rail was say bolted / heavily fixed somehow any leak in the above seals would still corrode / swell the metal backing strip [ would hopefully stop it falling out though as it could not drop / sag ]

Back