mini_bear93

Recently fitted a set of 5Forty VanSlam coilovers last weekend. Got the dreaded knocking coming from the rear suspension...
It almost sounds like the spring is loose more so on the near side. This is happening on lower speeds and when cornering.
I have checked over all the corners and could not find anything obvious. Everything is tight. Had the lower shock mount off and slacked the top to try and re-seat the bushing in the mounts (done this with the van on the ground to seat the bushes correctly. Double checked the springs were sitting correctly also. No joy...
The springs are set 7mm from lowest setting so a drop of 63mm from standard.
Anyone else experiencing similar?
Have had a look about to see what everyone else has done, need to check over anti-roll bar bushes. Only other thing I could think it could be is the rubber that comes in the kit that sits between the top adjuster and body, looks very thin to me.
Another thing I have to try is swap out the new shocks with the old ones to rule the shocks out.
Any other ideas very much welcomed!!!

The normal issue is people fitting the adjustest on the bottom instead of the top but sounds like you’v got that bit right?

The normal issue is people fitting the adjustest on the bottom instead of the top but sounds like you’v got that bit right?
Correct I have the adjuster at the top, just ordered new lower rubber cups for the spring but when I was fitting the new coilovers the rubbers looked in pretty good nick. Vans only a year and a bit old.
I’m starting to think the shock is maybe faulty.
It is strange that the NSR seems to be the common problem after having a good read through the forum regardless of make of springs ect

Update
Fitted new genuine vw lower rear spring cup to each side and the knock appears to have disappeared! Will now let it settle for a few days and hope it stays quiet!
So far I would definitely recommend replacing these when changing springs as the coil on the van slam kit is thicker than the standard spring.
I got the cups from VanStyle at £23 inc delivery.
Now thinking about getting new rubbers for the front springs along with Meyle hd anti-roll bar links

Update
Fitted new genuine vw lower rear spring cup to each side and the knock appears to have disappeared! Will now let it settle for a few days and hope it stays quiet!
So far I would definitely recommend replacing these when changing springs as the coil on the van slam kit is thicker than the standard spring.
I got the cups from VanStyle at £23 inc delivery.
Now thinking about getting new rubbers for the front springs along with Meyle hd anti-roll bar links
Glad you sussed it! Other than that, would you recommend the kit...how's the ride quality?

Glad you sussed it! Other than that, would you recommend the kit...how's the ride quality?
I would recommend the kit, no more uncomfortable and boaty ride!
The ride quality is miles better than standard, it’s not harsh and don’t get much roll in the bends. I’m still running standard steelies as I’m waiting for my alloys to be delivered.
The other bonus of this kit is it’s almost half the price of the bilstein b14’s and going by the looks of the van slam kit it looks like they will last.

Just to defend the cost of B14's against Vanslams.
The reason I went down the Bilstein route was simply because there's virtually no reported issues, against the Vanslams that are often reported as knocking etc.
I agree they are expensive, but I'm hoping the quality and lack of problems, and potential back up justifys this extra cost in the future.

I'm not slating the Vanslams, because I've never experienced them, I just go on previous reports to judge where to put my money.

I was undecided with coilovers to start with and it was going to be between the b14’s and van slams. The reason I went with the van slams was after reading there had been issues with rear shocks in which bilstein carried out technicial bulletin with a revised part number. That put me off due to the cost of the kit to start with.
If money wasn’t on my mind when carrying out suspension mods I would of loved to get air!

I have the Van Slam coil overs fitted. Rear off side shock absorber seals have completely failed at 40,000 miles. Contacted Van Style to see about replacement shocker which they can supply. Didn’t want to just fit one, so priced for 2- was going to be £190 delivered for the pair. Then asked price for Bilstein B14 shocks- was £195 delivered for 2, so decided to just go for them instead.

I have the vanslams which I fitted myself. Haven’t experienced and problems or noises, my only problem is that I think they are a bit soft on the front.

I’ve raised them slightly to stop the tyre catching the arch under compression but I think next time I’d pay the extra and get the Bilsteins.

Could you explain more about adjuster on the top. Had mind fitted by a garage however getting knocking on the rear. Look at the set up the adjuster is located at the bottom of the spring. Is that right?

I’ve changed my mind a bit on these. I fitted a set and they felt great. But the rears make too much noise, a light clonking sound.

The towers on the van floor the coils fit around have 4 welds and these interfere with the adjuster sitting right. Therefore they rock a little generating the noise.

We’ve fitted the rubber washers in place and still they catch the welds enough to move.

I contacted Van Slams and got a pretty short reply to the effect of “we’ve sold thousands it must be your van”. Then told me to modify the adjuster to clear the weld. Not a great reply in my book. I would have preferred some form of ‘sorry to hear of your issue’ or similar, at least.

So at this point from my experience on a T32 T6 I would not recommend them.

I’ve changed my mind a bit on these. I fitted a set and they felt great. But the rears make too much noise, a light clonking sound.

The towers on the van floor the coils fit around have 4 welds and these interfere with the adjuster sitting right. Therefore they rock a little generating the noise.

We’ve fitted the rubber washers in place and still they catch the welds enough to move.

I contacted Van Slams and got a pretty short reply to the effect of “we’ve sold thousands it must be your van”. Then told me to modify the adjuster to clear the weld. Not a great reply in my book. I would have preferred some form of ‘sorry to hear of your issue’ or similar, at least.

So at this point from my experience on a T32 T6 I would not recommend them.

I have a 4000mile old T6 Kombi with van slams, fitted from new. after 5-600 miles the rear end started knocking and it sounded like hitting bumps stops or shock toping out.

I spoke to van slam and they didn't give a damn.

I trimmed down the bump stops and this did not help (should have been trimmed by installer)

I tried all sorts to stop the knocking but last night after just getting fed up with it i sprayed the rear springs with lithium grease because i assumed the spring was catching and making the noise and i was right.

The van is now totally silent over the biggest fastest bumps!

So now i have to try and figure out why the spring is making a noise as it appears to be installed properly.

If you run really low trimming the bump stops could cause the shock to fail . ( not sure if Van slam has shorter rear shocks ) Oiling the rear spring and the noise stopping doesn't make any sense , are you sure something else hasnt moved or been disturbed . when coils touch each other they tend to squeak more than knock . If the rear spring is a Barrel shape the overlap of the coils can cause more aggressive noises however . try to swivel the spring in its seat it might help . the noise will return if you have only greased up the spring .

Sorry just studying the pictures above , the Adjuster at the bottom might be fowling the support for the bump stop I think that's metal ?? if that is the case every big bump you hit those two parts will; fowl each other and make quite a noise ,. the top picture however the adjuster sits around that bump stop support and there is nothing to touch . there isn't a great deal of travel left on those springs so I would imagine the van bottoms out on bump roads ??

The adjuster is at the top, i know its a short term fix but its helped me locate the problem, i assume the knocking noise is the spring rubbing on its self when it gets compressed. My van is not slammed at all and im pretty sure the shock is shorter than a standard one, i can't even turn the spring with the van jacked up its still too compressed.

It was the complete lack of any concern or suggestions (outside of, it’s a bush—brand new van though) that left a bad taste in the mouth.

I’m still trying to find the issue, still think it’s the cup moving about on the tower in some way. Bushes have a deeper sound usually, this is more of a ‘hitting’ sound. I may look to see if the spring is fouling something on the adjuster.

A real shame they dealt with me like that. A bit of care would have gone a very long way. You know, just some recognition and suggestions beyond, ‘it’s a bush’ i.e. nothing to do with our stuff!

If I get an answer I’ll post it...

Back