Valence U27-12XP Lifepo4 Lithium Battery -- How We Done It --

I don't have a BMV or temperature sensors, trying to do it on the cheap (or rather less exhorbitant!)

Yes, I know what your mean! However, you don't need a BMV to measure temperature. You can use the victron energy smart battery sense Victron Smart Battery Sense for MPPT Solar Chargers SBS05010020 FREE Delivery 8719076040118 | eBay The lower range version (black) can be found for under £30 and works fine. It uses the Victron VE.Smart networking to share battery voltage and temperature. I used one for a couple of years before getting the BMV-712.

Yes, I know what your mean! However, you don't need a BMV to measure temperature. You can use the victron energy smart battery sense Victron Smart Battery Sense for MPPT Solar Chargers SBS05010020 FREE Delivery 8719076040118 | eBay The lower range version (black) can be found for under £30 and works fine. It uses the Victron VE.Smart networking to share battery voltage and temperature. I used one for a couple of years before getting the BMV-712.
Brilliant thanks, did not know that existed! Ordered :thumbsup:

Can someone help with the following:

I ordered a USB RS485 cable as advised in this thread to connect to the battery but I hadn't realised the cable I ordered had 6 wires whereas the battery is a 5 pin connector. Can I still use this cable to connect to the battery and if so which wires go where? I've attached a diagram for further info. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 88401

I covered this earlier in the thread:

There’s a diagram to show where each of the coloured wires from the RS485 go in the TYCO connector.

Last edited:

Do you know if you can use the Victron battery sense to cut off the charger if you're not using an MPPT. I have a Renogy charger and a manual temp sensor just now but if i can make it automated then better.

Just had a thought, can you configure the Renogy dc-dc to not charge when the temp is less than 5 degrees? It comes with a temp sensor that plugs direct into the charger, just unsure if it is configurable. @Dellmassive have you played about with this?

Do you know if you can use the Victron battery sense to cut off the charger if you're not using an MPPT. I have a Renogy charger and a manual temp sensor just now but if i can make it automated then better.

The Victron smart battery sense only networks to other Victron products and that is pretty limited anyway. (Victron's own B2B and some mains chargers won't even support VE.Smart).

I have no knowledge of Renogy products.

Just read this post;

Apparently Renogy have it already configured for charge disconnect until its above 3 degrees!

Finally connected up to the battery, thanks to @ched for the additional info on the cable, not sure how I missed that earlier in the thread. I had issues initially getting the data off the battery as it's labelled as ID 012. However when I selected the 'locate battery' option an ID of 5 was given and I was able to get the data. Another battery that is nicely balanced, no error flags and only 29 cycles so well pleased.

Battery Info.png

Battery Event Log.png

Good afternoon fellow Valence owners... I've just ordered the following for my setup:

1 x Victron 65A Smart Battery protect
1 x Victron 30A Smart DC DC Charger
1 x Victron BMV 712 Monitor

I'm looking to add Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller, but not sure which one to go for?
Can anyone explain why some of the Victron Solar Chargers have a dedicated 'LOAD' output (75/15 model) on them whilst others (100/30 model) don't?

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone explain why some of the Victron Solar Chargers have a dedicated 'LOAD' output (75/15 model) on them whilst others (100/30 model) don't?

To quote Victron: " The intelligent Load output function prevents damage caused by running batteries 'flat'. You can configure the voltage at which SmartSolar disconnects a load - thereby preventing excessive drain on your batteries. "

I guess it is not on the 30A plus models because it is more difficult to incorporate 30A load switching. The 15A versions will switch up to 15A.

In anycase, the Smart Battery protect will do the same job for you.

To quote Victron: " The intelligent Load output function prevents damage caused by running batteries 'flat'. You can configure the voltage at which SmartSolar disconnects a load - thereby preventing excessive drain on your batteries. "

I guess it is not on the 30A plus models because it is more difficult to incorporate 30A load switching. The 15A versions will switch up to 15A.

In anycase, the Smart Battery protect will do the same job for you.

Thanks @Dilbert, I suspected that was the case but thanks for confirming.

Spent most of yesterday afternoon making the cable and installing the software. I could not have done this without all the Forum help!
Battery looks OK . Well balanced and 80% charged. Can anyone with more experience spot anything I need to worry about? Thanks.
I think the next step is to order the same kit as @ched then try and fit it all in!!Screenshot (7).pngScreenshot (6).png

I ordered this -50-110°C W1209 12V Digital Thermostat Sensor Temperature Control Switch Module 606034481077 | eBay and it was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Just been having a play and it works rather well, cuts off the relay at the temperature you select and only closes the relay when it's 2 degrees above the target temperature. I was going to have a manual switch to turn off the Victron DC/DC in the unlikely event that I'll be driving it while below 5C in the cab, but I think I'll try connecting this in line with the remote turn off connector and the Smart sense temperature feed to disable the MPPT. I don't need a LTD for the EHU charger.

I ordered this -50-110°C W1209 12V Digital Thermostat Sensor Temperature Control Switch Module 606034481077 | eBay and it was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Just been having a play and it works rather well, cuts off the relay at the temperature you select and only closes the relay when it's 2 degrees above the target temperature. I was going to have a manual switch to turn off the Victron DC/DC in the unlikely event that I'll be driving it while below 5C in the cab, but I think I'll try connecting this in line with the remote turn off connector and the Smart sense temperature feed to disable the MPPT. I don't need a LTD for the EHU charger.

This looks good @andys. Are you go going to switch the ignition live signal to your DC-DC with the relay?

The new Victron one I've got seems to have a remote switch outlet which I assume does the same thing

Yeah - I’ve got the Victron too, so I’m pretty sure we’re talking about the same thing. I think Victron call it engine detection (wired to H pin in the manual). Cheers

Yeah - I’ve got the Victron too, so I’m pretty sure we’re talking about the same thing. I think Victron call it engine detection (wired to H pin in the manual). Cheers
Yes I think it must be. At the moment I have a Ctek which does need an ignition live, but the Victron mentions in the bumf that it doesn't need one, but the remote pins will be usable in the same way by having this gadget making/breaking the connection depending on temperature. If I power it after the LBD it won't be allowed to drain the battery.

Back