Valence U27-12XP Lifepo4 Lithium Battery -- How We Done It --

How To Connect to the Battery remotely or when mobile . .

Here we go.

a WIN10 based tablet, with a full size USB port, running the Valence software . .

you can run the cable from the battery box area unto the cab or wherever for when you want/need to connect to the internal BMS etc etc.

1601038286931.png1601038298770.png

You can have the tablet running indefinitely powered from a USB power lead. . . . even with the screen off.

if you want to balance the internal cells once every 1-3months (Optional)

or get stats on the charge/discharge currents and voltages . . . .

1601038317309.png

This tablet is an old LINX 1010B . . which has been shelved.

but looks like they have a newer 12" version.

1601038580391.png

But it seems like the new-kid-on-the-block (for cheap WIN10 Tablets) is FUSION5 . .

1601038748218.png

. . .

heres a link to there cheap Android versions . . . . (no good for the valence software tho . . . but great for keeping in the van)

1601039481814.png

Last edited:
How to make your own Valence USB cable & get the software

you need this cable USB > RS485:

USB Rs485 Adapter Cable Rs485 Converter Cable with FTDI: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy USB Rs485 Adapter Cable Rs485 Converter Cable with FTDI compatible with USB-RS485-WE-1800-BT at Amazon UK.
amzn.to

1599426337552.png

This TYCO AMP connector:

View attachment 85928

------------------

2 3 4 5 6 way pin TYCO AMP Superseal Waterproof Connector Rubber Boots Sleeve

View attachment 85930

------

View attachment 85929

and these conections:

1599426480761.png

VALENCE software:
Here is a link to download a zip file containing the valence software to connect the laptop to its onboard computer. This one has three tabs in the bottom section and I heard there is a version that has four tabs if you know where I can get it let me know. It's for Windows only and will not work with Apple unless you run Windows in a virtual machine on your Apple with all kinds of hassle. If you're not plugging the batteries into a laptop I would suggest plugging the two communication cables into each other on the same battery to form a sort of handle that you should not lift the battery with. This will keep the metal pins inside the connectors clean and corrosion free. When you open the software after you install it you'll need to find the ModuleDiagG2.exe file in the program's folder (x86) folder. Right click on it and run as administrator. On my computer I was not able to right click on the desktop shortcut to accomplish this. Now you should have the valence program running and you'll see the main valence page with mostly blank boxes.
Next you need to set the logging path in the battery info tab. Near the bottom right side click on browse and choose a place somewhere on your computer probably in my documents folder you can create a folder called valence log files or something and choose that folder. Every once in a while like if my laptop goes to sleep and then wakes back up again I noticed the data reported in the software no longer reflects the correct battery when I switch between batteries. If this happens I simply restart the program and it's good to go again. If anyone knows how to write some basic code so that we can see the info on all the batteries on a live active spreadsheet that would be great if you help me out with that I'll share it with everyone. Valence software-20191020T204520Z-001.zip

COM PORT:
Now about choosing the comport. In the valence software click the comport drop down and you'll see that it's blank. There are no comm ports to choose even if have you previously set up the comport properly. You'll have to go to your hardware page to discover the com number. Then go to the software and literally type com7 or com5 or whatever the number was. And remember no spaces. Next look at the ID number I wrote on the battery and choose that in the drop-down. Connect to the communication wire from the balance computer into the rs485 USB adapter Then click start communication. You should now be seeing all the boxes filled with data from the batteries onboard computer. You can switch between batteries without ending and restarting communication but it only shows one battery at a time which is kind of annoying.

I’m having issues communicating with my Valence software.
The Valence U-Charge Battery Diagnostics software is up and running without issues on an old MacBook Pro via a WinOnX installation to run Windows 7 (can’t run Windows 10 as Macbook is too old).
I’ve made a battery / PC interface cable approx 30cm long wired as the drawing with the correct connector and RS485 USB adapter, all continuity and Insulation checked good, no screening just 4 core, 1mm sq.
When plugging the RS485 adapter the blue LEDs flash once, the same in either of the two USB ports.
The battery is marked with a label ID=018, I have tried 018, 18 from the drop down menu and leaving the ID field blank.
I have tried leaving the Com Port blank and a range from COM1 up to COM10, I always get the message incorrect port.....
I have 4vDC on the cable according to the multimeter ( no decimal on the DC range so I assume it is just under 5VDC).
Any ideas as to why I the software is not seeing the battery? I’m wondering if it something to do with the USB port configuration for Windows but this is outside of my experience and it’s not my Macbook.
I’m making arrangements to try it out on somebody else's Window 10 PC but if it is a simple fix on this Macbook I’d rather do that.
Advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

the valence software is not detecting the USB port.

in WIN10 you need to run the software "as administrator"

then when you open and run it you can select the COM port from the drop down list.

as per below.

1601305454368.png

when you plug the USB lead in you will get a white/blue flash one time, when the hardware is connected.

then when trying to connect to any device ID you will get a blue flashing light for 5sec while it poles the battery ID,

1601305710510.png

if there is no response you will get the time out message . .

1601305740767.png

if you dont know what the battery ID is or think it hasd been changed you canb use the SCAN function . . . .

1601305857824.png

check in M$ Windows device manager for the COM port number . . .

1601305968370.png

If I was running Windows I would go to Device Manager like you said and find the USB ID but with WinOx 64 I don’t see how that is possible.
I just did another 20 minutes of every permutation of battery ID 18, 018 and blank with different COM#’s but no success Using Scan or otherwise.
I’ll give it a try with a dedicated Windows device not a adulterated Macbook.

If I was running Windows I would go to Device Manager like you said and find the USB ID but with WinOx 64 I don’t see how that is possible.
I just did another 20 minutes of every permutation of battery ID 18, 018 and blank with different COM#’s but no success Using Scan or otherwise.
I’ll give it a try with a dedicated Windows device not a adulterated Macbook.

@DXX - I think your issue might be the WinOnX emulator you are using to run windows mate...

I’m a Mac user too - but went down the route of using an external hard drive and Bootcamp to install Windows 10 (Home) and it worked perfectly.

There’s good instructions on how to do it here:

Give it a go - you don’t need to purchase Windows 10 and by installing it on an external drive, you’ll save valuable space on your Mac.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Update on my Valence battery comm’s issues:
I’ve tried connecting the battery to a tablet running the Valence Diagnostics software on Windows 10, logged in as Administrator.
With COM3 (only USB available) the blue RS485 LEDs flash so I know I have the correct port.
The ID tag on the battery shows 018, I have tried running all three functions below with 018 and 18 and leaving the field blank to Scan
Using the Locate Battery function results in - No Battery Found.
Using the Start Read function results in - Please check COM port or module ID.
Using Scan function results in - System scan complete, found no modules.
I think I’ve searched and viewed just about every YouTube video / forum comment on the matter.
As before the cable connections are triple checked and continuity / insulation is good.
Any ideas welcome please before I consign the 300 quid door stop to the back of the garage.

I’ve tried connecting the battery to a tablet running the Valence Diagnostics software on Windows 10, logged in as Administrator.
With COM3 (only USB available) the blue RS485 LEDs flash so I know I have the correct port.
The ID tag on the battery shows 018, I have tried running all three functions below with 018 and 18 and leaving the field blank to Scan
I think I’ve searched and viewed just about every YouTube video / forum comment on the matter.
As before the cable connections are triple checked and continuity / insulation is good.
Any ideas welcome please before I consign the 300 quid door stop to the back of the garage.

Have you tried right/cmd clicking on the Valence software icon to select "run as administrator"?

What's the flash rate of the led?

One green blip every 20sec means its sleeping.

Once every 5sec is awake.

I'd bee looking at the data A/B an trying to swap them around....

Also check the 5v and 0v needed from the USB.

Another possibility is the link cable into the battery... so try some jumper cables and link to the other connector.... male or female... which ever one...

What's the flash rate of the led?

One green blip every 20sec means its sleeping.

Once every 5sec is awake.

Another possibility is the link cable into the battery... so try some jumper cables and link to the other connector.... male or female... which ever one...

It’s flashing more than once / second.
Regarding the cable connection I currently have a male connector on the jumper connecting to the female battery cable as that is what is shown on all info I’ve found so far.
I’ll try connecting to the opposite side if there is absolutely no risk of damage???
The battery is currently 10 miles away with the owner of the tablet so I’ll make up the alternative cable before I travel.

Flash rate of the battery status led.

Not the USB leds.

Also you don't need the USB for anything other than looking at stats...or top balancing the internal cell's.

You can just charge and use like any battery.

Just don't run it below 11v.

Flash rate of the battery status led.

Not the USB leds.

Also you don't need the USB for anything other than looking at stats...or top balancing the internal cell's.

You can just charge and use like any battery.

Just don't run it below 11v.

It’s in Sleep mode (20 secs).
I realise that I don’t need the software, I just wanted to know what I was dealing with before I spend anymore £££ on hardware for the setup.

OK...

Go with this then.

OK...

Go with this then.

I think that may be the wrong link as it’s this thread.

I’ve got a Victron Smart Shunt and BMV 712 to install in an IP67 enclosure along with the battery while it’s in use on the canoe. I believe I can set the display on the 712 to scroll different readings and as it will be mounted under a clear polycarbonate enclosure lid I should be able to view it. If not I will use the bluetooth app and a phone in another enclosure.
I‘ll probably mount a fuse and maybe a contactor in the enclosure if I can source one that will not create more problems than it’s worth.
The two quick detachable +/_ connectors to the motor unit maybe made with some good quality welding cable connectors unless I find something more suitable, due to the smaller cable diameter I‘ll need to pot these in to make watertight with Scotchcast or similar.
I really want to get the Valence Diagnostics software up and running as I’d like to see the full status of the battery now and then plus I’d really like to know the status / history before I position it between my legs!
Max current drawn should be 45-50A at 12vDC but I’ll use a clamp meter and run a test before I size up the fuse and contactor.
I haven’t given up on the Diagnostics software yet but I’m gradually running out of options.

Correct link.....

Swap data pair over and check supply voltage.

××××

Xxxx

Reactions: DXX
This is a useful video, especially from 10min, 45 sec in.
The adapter cable is wired as the diagrams, no errors there.
More tomorrow

Yep seen that one... some good info in it here and there.

The main thing i found was that you always have goninto windows programs and features and add in the DOT NET2 framework.... but that normally needed before the install..

I've run the software running on numerous desktops, laptops and tablets... all Windows.

V12.12 is the most stable...

I’m struggling with reading my battery .
Made the lead and it locates battery but I’m stuck on the data logging setup and get this error message every time .
Any ideas ?
55BD5383-F109-4FDA-9C90-21ADBB29E304.jpeg

Try changing the path to the logging folder somewhere outside of the program folder - i.e. your desktop.

Don’t forget to run as administrator too!

what he said. . . . . save to a different drive letter.

set a new "logging path" location. . . . create a new folder, create a new test file to make sure you can write to the location.

Then run Valence SW again.

its spits out a CSV file that you can open in Excel

Back