V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The human nature bit seems rife with Brits who don't give a toss for anyone or anything."

"Brits who don't give a toss for anyone or anything." This is the most apt part of the comment comment I feel. Though it is most definatly not every one but is a sizeable majority.
It becomes even more apparent when you spend time in other mid and northern European countries. We really are an embarrassment :(

It becomes even more apparent when you spend time in other mid and northern European countries. We really are an embarrassment :(
If I point out more horrible and anti-nationalistic things about this country, that they may export me to somewhere like Germany or Norway?:rofl: The only thing is, would they even want anyone from here, what would be in it for them?:rolleyes:I would not struggle, my bags are already packed!:waving:bye:laugh:

An interesting article popped up on Google News a little while ago about a ban on 'Motor Caravans' parking along the sea front at Walmer between 1800 and 0600 hrs. Does this mean that those of us who, according to DVLA and the V5, are still driving a 'Van with Side Windows' rather than a 'Motor Caravan' would still be OK to park without danger of a ticket or, at least, have an out if a ticket was issued? That said, I've no intention of ever doing it even if allowed!

I think going back to this comment, have to be careful as if you do 70Mph on a motorway, get a ticket becuase V5 says its a van with windows, and then say its actually a motorhome and get the ticket scrapped, then when you are parking at this place and they issue you a ticket because its a Motorhome, you claim its a Van with windows? Which chair do you want to sit on?

its a tricky one for us all i think! If youre happy with the risk, then you can play the both at their own game, but have to be willing to accept the concequencies also. Its not as black and white as we all want it to be...unfortunatly!

Just registered to add my experience to this debacle.

I have a Leisuredrive Hi Top, full windows and is a professionally converted campervan. I bought this is 2010 and it has remained a 'commercial vehicle' since then. I have only just tried to get it changed to a Motor Home (unsure why I didn't before) and they have declined saying it is a van with windows. I'm not too fussed about the description, it's the speed limitations that I need to know.

I have been all around the country and Europe and have only ever stuck to the unrestricted speed limits and never got a speeding ticket. Lucky, unsure? I regularly drive 70 on a dual carriage way and through speed cameras and never had a ticket.

So the question is, what do you need to do to get it registered as a 'motorhome'?

Last edited:
Just registered to add my experience to this debacle.

I have a Leisuredrive Hi Top, full windows and is a professionally converted campervan. I bought this is 2010 and it has remained a 'commercial vehicle' since then. I have only just tried to get it changed to a Motor Home (unsure why I didn't before) and they have declined saying it is a van with windows. I'm not too fussed about the description, it's the speed limitations that I need to know.

I have been all around the country and Europe and have only ever stuck to the unrestricted speed limits and never got a speeding ticket. Lucky, unsure? I regularly drive 70 on a dual carriage way and through speed cameras and never had a ticket.

So the question is, why do you need to do to get it registered as a 'motorhome'?
That’s insane! That's the one thing most of us have fallen down!

Did you attach pictures of seats / beds / cooking facilities / storage?

Oh, and welcome to the forum, don't forget to post a pic in

I sent a ten-page dossier of pictures (15 in total) inside and out, DVLA tick list all ticked off, the Leisuredrive documentation, conversion receipt/certificate - the works. Computer said no!

IMG_9483.JPG

Had you had some stripy graphics, I think you would have been successful.

Reactions: CAB
I think not unfortunately, although possibly sarcastic ;) I did have the Leisuredrive swirl on there, but they were peeling off due to age. Leisuredrive actually told me "The DVLA no longer class any campervans as campervans on the V5. They are all classed as vans with side windows. This was introduced late last year."

I think not unfortunately, although possibly sarcastic ;) I did have the Leisuredrive swirl on there, but they were peeling off due to age. Leisuredrive actually told me "The DVLA no longer class any campervans as campervans on the V5. They are all classed as vans with side windows. This was introduced late last year."
I was being serious based on successful photos and the contents of this topic, did you read it?

Yes. If you read the reply by CAB on page 39, you'll see the Leisuredrive graphics on that van as they have on all the vans, as did I. That was declined and this was my stock reply from DVLA too. All Leisuredrive vans have those graphics and according to the conversion company, all getting declined.

1605025834786.png

Last edited:
The DVLA page states (for external features):

This list describes the external features which are commonly seen in motor caravans, and it is intended to provide guidance on what DVLA expects to see when considering your application:
  • 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
  • a separate door which provides access to the living accommodation of the vehicle (this excludes the driver and passenger doors); a window on this door counts as a separate window on the main body
  • motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle
  • an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle
  • a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)
So @Loz is correct, graphics are probably necessary.

Are my go faster stripes not prominent enough and why are all (hi top and flip top) Leisuredrive vans being declined, they have graphics on? Will resubmit with garish graphics and report back.

Reactions: CAB
Are my go faster stripes not prominent enough and why are all (hi top and flip top) Leisuredrive vans being declined, they have graphics on? Will resubmit with garish graphics and report back.
Anything with a pop-top is being refused, as per the guidance. Only high-tops have a chance now.

We've thrashed out the campervan speed issue, I'm not getting the problem, what is it?
I'm driving legally at car speeds, I've got a campervan to use as I see fit so the DVLA can categorise my van as a bin lorry for all I care.
Genuine question for those still strugging admirably against the red tape.

We've thrashed out the campervan speed issue, I'm not getting the problem, what is it?
I'm driving legally at car speeds, I've got a campervan to use as I see fit so the DVLA can categorise my van as a bin lorry for all I care.
Genuine question for those still strugging admirably against the red tape.
It is only bang to rights if Glaswegians were exempt after all it is an Independent Country with its own Laws. I am sure that it would not have stopped Rab in any case.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back