V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am but I confess that it does slip my mind on occasion - I blame the fact that the camper is not my daily (or even weekly) drive. It can't be that easy as my Mrs sometimes forgets as well and she's got the memory of an elephant with a better than average elephant memory (at least where my usually minor transgressions are concerned). That said, I've got to try really hard now as I've managed to pick up two speeding tickets in the last 5 months - it's no consolation that they're the first in 40 odd years of driving.
Read the thread. If it’s a camper you are subject to car speed limits, not van limits. This is regardless of what your V5 says. The law defines a “motor caravan” not the DVLA.

Thanks for the advice but I've been following (and participating) in this one from day one. The point is that until fairly recently, what you seem to think has been fact all along has only really been theory based upon some loosely worded statements from the DVLA. However, there are now actual precedents out there...............

Thanks for the advice but I've been following (and participating) in this one from day one. The point is that until fairly recently, what you seem to think has been fact all along has only really been theory based upon some loosely worded statements from the DVLA. However, there are now actual precedents out there...............
My assertions are nothing to do with the DVLA ,they are based on what is stated in law.
Nothing to do with theory, it's there in Law in black & white, always has been. The whole DVLA thing is a red herring.

Thanks Salty, that's what I thought but the Guy at the DVLA said because there is no significant changes to the outside except windows, for Police purposes, its a Van/Side windos??
Don't know if all the correct details have been sent to them but he does more than a few conversions so I can't see it being his falt but some one at DVLA?
i have the same prob at the moment full campervan conversion inc pop top roof ,they say no outside changes for the police to se its a campervan ,dnt no were to go now on this

i have the same prob at the moment full campervan conversion inc pop top roof ,they say no outside changes for the police to see
Its not a problem. It could be an inconvenience if an ANPR camera wrongly uses your V5 info to determine its speed limit. Then you point out that its a motor caravan as defined in law. Its nothing whatever to do with the DVLA which is why the cameras shouldnt be using V5 info to autononously accuse law abiding campervan drivers of speeding.
...its a campervan, dont no where to go now on this
You dont need to go anywhere or do anything. As you said, its a campervan :)
It is, as the phrase goes, what it is... not what the V5 says it looks like in traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a problem. It could be an inconvenience if an ANPR camera wrongly uses your V5 info to determine its speed limit. Then you point out that its a motor caravan as defined in law. Its nothing whatever to do with the DVLA which is why the cameras shouldnt be using V5 info to autononously accuse law abiding campervan drivers of speeding.
You dont need to go anywhere or do anything. As you said, its a campervan :)
It is, as the phrase goes, what it is... not what the V5 says it looks like in traffic.
Nicely put, @Phil_G, I've been following this and other threads on V5 regulations with interest as we're converting at the moment. Do you know whether anyone has successfully contested a speeding fine using this logic? An automatically generated camera-generated one, or a police-generated one?

Currently arguing with my wife over the wisdom of getting windows put in the full length of driver's side in order to qualify ("2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body") as a MH. But reading these threads, if we get a pop-top (as we are planning) we're not going to be able to reclassify anyway.

Last edited:
As you can see from the lengthy discussions, we're all waiting for a camper driver to receive a 70mph ticket ;)
If you're converting it to a campervan as defined in the Road Traffic Act, then you are reclassifying it, its nowt to do with the DVLA ;)
The RTA doesnt mention motor-caravan windows, in fact its sensibly and necessarily vague about the conversion:
motorcaravan-jpg.66640

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see from the lengthy discussions, we're all waiting for a camper driver to receive a 70mph ticket ;)
If you're converting it to a campervan as defined in the Road Traffic Act, then you are reclassifying it, its nowt to do with the DVLA ;)
The RTA doesnt mention motor-caravan windows, in fact its sensibly and necessarily vague about the conversion:
motorcaravan-jpg.66640
brilliant, thanks very much for clarifying.

motorcaravan-jpg.66640
Back on page 37 I detailed my response from the police with regards to getting an incorrectly issued speeding ticket.

In short they sent me a letter apologising for classifying it as a van (even though the log book says it is a van). They seem well aware that the V5 and the RTA definition are at odds with one another.

As someone who has a fully converted camper van (or motor caravan as defined by the RTA) I'm satisfied that I can legally drive at car speed limits.
For any concerns over what my V5 States (in my case a van with windows), this taken from Gov.uk clarifies the pointScreenshot_20200831-081421.jpgScreenshot_20200831-081459.jpg

Need a sticky post on this subject really.

I don’t need to push the point but if folk out there are traveling at van speed limits in a camper van knowing all the facts of this thread then they either don’t believe the findings or are just happier at a lower speed limit.

There is enough evidence here that car speed limits are the correct limits to use, the legal justification is there and the police are also in agreement. CASE CLOSED

Agreed, its the same question over and over, making the thread unnecessarily long and tedious. But then again, this is a discussion forum :)

Reactions: KR.
I don’t think this thread started off as a speed limit discussion per se, it just morphed into that. It was more people being annoyed that after an expensive conversion they were not able to have the words “motor caravan” on their V5, and concerned about any implication on their insurance. All the issues seem to have been resolved now but I agree it could do with being a sticky for the sake of the couple of people a month that post a question asking what they can do to have their van reclassified.

I don’t think this thread started off as a speed limit discussion per se, it just morphed into that. It was more people being annoyed that after an expensive conversion they were not able to have the words “motor caravan” on their V5, and concerned about any implication on their insurance. All the issues seem to have been resolved now but I agree it could do with being a sticky for the sake of the couple of people a month that post a question asking what they can do to have their van reclassified.
Well, as it was I who started this thread way back in 2019, asking for advice, and its still rumbling on. I'm far wiser re the DVLA ruling now, than I was back then but it was in its infancy so to speak and we now know, unless you fit an hard top it will not get classed as a MH. We also now know, If you contest a speeding ticket when you where at car speeds, with a converted van, it is likely to be dropped. Its been great to see all the input and views from different people and I suspect this thread may rumble on for awhile yet though?:)

Well, as it was I who started this thread way back in 2019, asking for advice, and its still rumbling on. I'm far wiser re the DVLA ruling now, than I was back then but it was in its infancy so to speak and we now know, unless you fit an hard top it will not get classed as a MH. We also now know, If you contest a speeding ticket when you where at car speeds, with a converted van, it is likely to be dropped. Its been great to see all the input and views from different people and I suspect this thread may rumble on for awhile yet though?:)

Thanks for this everyone, sorry to have raked over the coals on what for many of you must be very old hat. I realise having gone through more of the detail buried within this mahoosive thread that it was all there already, but super useful to have it clarified succinctly by you all. Still feeling my way on this forum, and working out where to go and who to ask for stuff. - Maybe an updated 'What we know now about V5/DVLA reclassification' as one of the FAQs? (don't tell me there's one already that I've missed... :-o !)

this reaction from @DXX made me smile, from another thread...

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 16.06.20.png

Actually that's one thing I haven't seen or heard of yet, has anyone actually called them out on this? i.e. a Transporter conversion that HAS been fitted with a hightop, required number of windows and "motorhome graphics" and then had their van actually reclassified as a motorcaravan since the DVLA changed their methodolgy and interpretation?

Incidentally, I've got a mate fairly high up in Capita who reckons they're at the "crossing the t's" stage of a contract that will move another huge tranche of work from Swansea to them. Expect even more chaos!

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I detailed in an earlier post somewhere in this morass of a topic someone on another forum who had succeeded with another vehicle after being refused once - not a Transporter though.
My hightop was registered a few months prior to the farce beginning, no graphics though.

I detailed in an earlier post somewhere in this morass of a topic someone on another forum who had succeeded with another vehicle after being refused once - not a Transporter though.
My hightop was registered a few months prior to the farce beginning, no graphics though.
Yes I saw that one and the only other ones I've seen have been Ducato based with an already existing high roof, I've yet to see someone get a high top Transporter reclassified since all these changes and wondered if when it came to it they'd still find a reason not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back