V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Just to add my very recent experience to this, the DVLA have told me they can’t change vehicle classification as it’s taxed!!! It’s taken 5 months to get a v5 with the wrong classification so maybe I should’ve driven with no tax It’s clearly an excuse. My van is a bigwave pop top van with windows so the roof would prevent the application anyway. Done a t5 in the past, no issues and a bongo with a pop top. Can’t fathom why they don’t want to correctly classify vehicles??

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Hi everyone. Just to add my very recent experience to this, the DVLA have told me they can’t change vehicle classification as it’s taxed!!! It’s taken 5 months to get a v5 with the wrong classification so maybe I should’ve driven with no tax It’s clearly an excuse. My van is a bigwave pop top van with windows so the roof would prevent the application anyway. Done a t5 in the past, no issues and a bongo with a pop top. Can’t fathom why they don’t want to correctly classify vehicles??
Hi @RedCamper , welcome to the forum!

You are correct, you won't get it reclassified with a pop-top. However, seems very odd the reason you were given, I would have thought that they had the standard refusal text ready to copy-and paste :laugh:

Also, might want to check your leisure battery installation:

Reactions: Jlo

Definitely!

We keep going round and round in circles on this one, over and over again! as stated many times in this thread , the DVLA do not determine the class of vehicle. If your campervan meets the Road Traffic Act definition of a 'motor caravan' then its a motor caravan. The V5 'body type' field is irrelevant. Please can we put this to bed? ;)
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for that - appreciated! Funnily enough curiosity got the better of me when I bought the.van and I wanted to see where the leisure battery was. Same place as those on the thread but they used cupboard fixings to keep it secure thankfully.

We keep going round and round in circles on this one, over and over again! as stated many times in this thread , the DVLA do not determine the class of vehicle. If your campervan meets the Road Traffic Act definition of a 'motor caravan' then its a motor caravan. The V5 'body type' field is irrelevant. Please can we put this to bed? ;)
Cheers
Phil
Pity insurance companies either don’t agree or as I suspect using this as an excuse for increased premiums!

Hi all, I after some advice. I converted my T6 swb to a camper and want the v5 document to reflect as such. Can anybody clarify what constitutes as caravan style graphics?

Also I assume an awning bar is the same as awning rail?

.Gov also states a high top roof? Does this need to be satisfied? I have a poptop which doesn't count.

I hope someone can help and advise how they have got their class changed.

Thanks

IMG_20200904_193706_494.jpg

20200901_185437.jpg

IMG_20200904_193706_482.jpg

IMG_20210122_102036_131.jpg

Probably be corrected but I don’t think the dvla are likely to put anyone’s conversions down as campervan anymore, I’d call them and ask fir strict criteria

@Leighmc32 - It will only get re-classified as 'van with windows' and the new number of internal seats....

They won't re-classify it as a campervan as it doesn't look like one in there opinion when in traffic which is what they go on....

Many have tried and failed to get it re-classified as 'campervan'

But on the flip side the annual road tax will be cheaper...

@Leighmc32 - It will only get re-classified as 'van with windows' and the new number of internal seats....

They won't re-classify it as a campervan as it doesn't look like one in there opinion when in traffic which is what they go on....

Many have tried and failed to get it re-classified as 'campervan'

But on the flip side the annual road tax will be cheaper...
Road Tax class does not change regardless of modifications, it will be the same as first registered. See Gov.uk.

Hi all, I after some advice. I converted my T6 swb to a camper and want the v5 document to reflect as such. Can anybody clarify what constitutes as caravan style graphics?

Also I assume an awning bar is the same as awning rail?

.Gov also states a high top roof? Does this need to be satisfied? I have a poptop which doesn't count.

I hope someone can help and advise how they have got their class changed.

Thanks

View attachment 100249

View attachment 100250

View attachment 100251

View attachment 100252
Read (or skim) this thread again.

You won't get it registered as a motor caravan without a hitop.

I still sent mine in to get the seat number correct (4 in my case) :thumbsup:

So as it stands it must have a hitop then, until dvla come to their senses!
Don’t hold your breath on DVLA changing the rules, if there is no advantage to the Police, DVLA or any government organisation there is no reason.
Campervan owners opinions are irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back