DVLA - insurance rules.. head spinning

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
This is a bit weird, and i have to be careful how i put it, I think

I purchased a van that is I believe termed 'pre-registered..

I did not realise until I got the van that this means I don't get the V5 from the lease company. (it's not on lease, I purchased outright), until 11.5 months after delivery. As an ex company car driver for pretty much 40 years. I was assured this is normal these days quite often in the world of PCP purchases and leasing. (Even though mine is cash)
I will say, I got a significant discount on the van

So, no big deal.. just wait for it the V5..

However, part of the conditions of my insurance is that I have notified DVLA of the changes within 90 days.
I am assuming in order to do that (even though i know they wont change to anything apart from Van with windows) I would have to send in the V5 with all the photographs etc..

I cannot get the V5 as far as i can see.

The insurance company, know it wont be classed as camper, but still expect me to go through the process of applying and being refused, when, I am assured, they will accept it as a campervan for insurance purposes.
The lease company do not seem to want to let the V5 got anywhere near DVLA for some reason, while they still hold it.
I also think (might be wrong) that if I was to drive a van with windows , for a long period without informing DVLA, they might take a dim view. Although, the view of the insurance company is perhaps paramount here.

Again,, you lovely people.. any experiences/advice welcomed..

Pete

Surely if you've bought the van outright you're entitled to the V5? The fact that it was pre-reg should make no difference in my opinion. Who did you purchase the van from?

Yea sounds very strange.

And I would just go to a different insurance company.

You just apply for the new V5 online. V5 is not proof of ownershp.

you might want to check that there is not any outstanding finance from the previous owner.

Reactions: Ozi
It’s standard form when you buy from a fleet supplier offering big discounts. It’s how they get the discount, and need to show it on “their” fleet for the first year to secure the large discount from manufacturers. But manufacturers don’t like them selling on like this, so take a dim view, which is why they won’t part with the V5 until nearing 12 months.

As said above, V5 isn’t proof of ownership, so that bit isn’t an issue. You’ll have a receipted invoice etc as proof of purchase.

But your issue is the insurer. Some do require the V5 to be in your name, so if that’s the type of insurer you’re talking to and they won’t budge, you may need to look elsewhere for insurance. There are plenty of others who won’t have this requirement. That said, I’ve been asked this question by insurers numerous times over the years, and have never been asked to provide the V5. Not sure if insurers do check directly themselves with DVLA

I went through the same process, my insurance company asked which company carried out the conversion. They were familiar with the conversion company and were happy to insure as Campervan. After 6 months I received the V5 in my name, the conversion company had sent the conversion pics etc to dvla who then registered the van as a van with windows.
My insurance company is comfort insurance and conversion company is Cambridge Campervans.
Im a happy Campervan owner.

thanks
This is a bit weird, and i have to be careful how i put it, I think

I purchased a van that is I believe termed 'pre-registered..

I did not realise until I got the van that this means I don't get the V5 from the lease company. (it's not on lease, I purchased outright), until 11.5 months after delivery. As an ex company car driver for pretty much 40 years. I was assured this is normal these days quite often in the world of PCP purchases and leasing. (Even though mine is cash)
I will say, I got a significant discount on the van

So, no big deal.. just wait for it the V5..

However, part of the conditions of my insurance is that I have notified DVLA of the changes within 90 days.
I am assuming in order to do that (even though i know they wont change to anything apart from Van with windows) I would have to send in the V5 with all the photographs etc..

I cannot get the V5 as far as i can see.

The insurance company, know it wont be classed as camper, but still expect me to go through the process of applying and being refused, when, I am assured, they will accept it as a campervan for insurance purposes.
The lease company do not seem to want to let the V5 got anywhere near DVLA for some reason, while they still hold it.
I also think (might be wrong) that if I was to drive a van with windows , for a long period without informing DVLA, they might take a dim view. Although, the view of the insurance company is perhaps paramount here.

Again,, you lovely people.. any experiences/advice welcomed..

Pete

I didn’t consider buying a van from companies like this as I didn’t fancy them holding onto the V5.

However I didn’t think about the problems this may cause. Things like adding windows or more importantly changing the number of seats and how this would sit with regards to the law, as I believe that the DVLA have to be told about these. Is it worth passing on the changes to the company you bought from and getting them to send it away to be changed?

Many thanks for all the replies..

What Ozi says makes perfect sense to me to fit in with the comments by the lease company, and their reaction to me asking.

The insurance company were chosen because they gave a reasonable quote. I had one shunt in my last previous car in over 20 years.. unfortunately in the last 4 months of over 20 years of claim free driving which seems to be the perfect excuse to give no NCB. And that the brokers seem to understand what I needed from the insurance.

Changing insurance company is an option, although will probably cost me dear .
I broached the question of the lease company sending on my application and pictures etc and they asked me politely to 'do what I can without contacting the DVLA if at all possible, so will explore that with the brokers tomorrow. Maybe they will accept photographic evidence of work, and the V5 change to follow?

Its a relief that the lease company, although breaking VWs rules dont seem to be breaking any laws which is a relief. As that suggests, neither am I

If it is a van with windows instead of a panel pan, which is what it will be.. or already is,then as Skyliner33 says DVLA want to know.. who is legally responsible to tell DVLA, the owner or the V5 holder? Assuming that is an issue..

I imagine a conversation by the side of the road with the boys in blue about that its registered as a van.. but is a van with windows, clearly.. (although clearly tinted too..)

Pete

Last month I bought a used car. I don't know about the internal condition and history of that used car. On that time one of the my friend suggested to check that car had any outstanding finance and that vehicle is stolen or not. I searched lot of resources in online and I choose the good web portal to check my present condition of my car with economical price.
I suggest everyone to get a free outstanding finance check How to Check if a Car is on Finance? - CarDotCheck
Try if you intend to buy a second-hand car.
Obviously you wouldn't in any way be affiliated with that particular site?

Back