That's the one I have. It not difficult to fit technically but is a struggle without a ramp even with 2 people. I haven't plumbed it in yet as need to work out where to mount and protect the regulator. It also needs a 3 way manifold, or 3 seperate shut of valves(heater, hob and external point) and copper piping that isn't supplied. So worth considering there is still a bit of cost to be added to the price as shown.

Doing it again I'd probably go to thirsk and get autogas to fit the whole lot as they will also certify it. They are super helpful when you call them.

I know it’s been asked on other threads before now but can any of you gentlemen that have the gas heater comment on any differences (aside from not being able to run it whilst driving) between the gas heater and the diesel heater?

I know it’s been asked on other threads before now but can any of you gentlemen that have the gas heater comment on any differences (aside from not being able to run it whilst driving) between the gas heater and the diesel heater?
Been looking at this myself. I know a lot of folk stick by the Ebby or Webby diesel heaters but I'm thinking that if I am going to install a propex tank for cooking purposes (future cadac purchase) then why not use this to fuel the heating as well. It has to be more cost effective to burn lpg at 50p per litre than diesel at £1.25 per litre. Plus it then offsets the initial purchase price of the tank if you're using it for more than just cooking. I was looking at the heater that can double up and run off an electric hook up, but need to do a lot more research first.
Someone at the sailing club is getting one fitted to their propex tank on their T5, may well have to pick their brains once they've done it.

I think a diesel heater is cheaper to run. LPG might be cheaper but it uses a fair bit more of it. LPG burns cleaner but that is not really an issue. Main difference is price. Propex underslung gas heater is about 500 quid. A fair bit cheaper than the premium diesel heaters.

Thanks for all the info. My intention is to go the LPG route and include a heater in the package. Now searching for the best package and whether to DIY or pay for the installation.

Useful thread guys. I bought this kit last year - VW T5 Caratank Domestic Under-floor kit. - and fitted the lpg tank myself. I also bought a propex heater but I’m yet to install the heater and also yet to plumb it all in.

To be honest I’m worrying about the plumbing. I bought all the bits I need and it’s easy enough to do in theory (I.e I know where I want all my cut offs and the electric shutoff solenoid etc) but I’m not a gas fitter. I’m at the point where I want to pay someone to do it but not sure how to even go about that. It’s a job that really needs a ramp. How many garages with a ramp have a qualified lpg fitter? If I get a qualified lpg fitter I can’t get him under the van without them sliding about on their backs while the van is on axle stands, who’s going to do that?

I really need this done as the last couple of nights in the van this week have been freezing! I’m almost at the point of phoning autogas who I bought the tank from and asking them for an install price and driving down to Thirsk to get them to do it (3.5hours each direction)

Anyone know anyone in Scotland or northern England who does this type of install (I have all the bits)

Last edited:
Useful thread guys. I bought this kit last year - VW T5 Caratank Domestic Under-floor kit. - and fitted the lpg tank myself. I also bought a propex heater but I’m yet to install the heater and also yet to plumb it all in.

To be honest I’m worrying about the plumbing. I bought all the bits I need and it’s easy enough to do in theory (I.e I know where I want all my cut offs as the solenoid etc) but I’m not a gas fitter. I’m at the point where I want to pay someone to do it but not sure how to even go about that. It’s a job that really needs a ramp. How many garages with a ramp have a qualified lpg fitter? If I get a qualified lpg fitter I can’t get him under the van without them sliding about on their backs while the van is on axle stands, who’s going to do that?

I really need this done as the last couple of nights in the van this week have been freezing! I’m almost at the point of phoning autogas who I bought the tank from and asking them for an install price and driving down to Thirsk to get them to do it (3.5hours each direction)

Anyone know anyone in Scotland or northern England who does this type of install (I have all the bits)
Try motorhome companies with workshops..

Thirsk is defo northen england :)
Autogas are super helpful and I'm sure will do a decent price. Though adding the cost of the tank and heater plus the pipes and labour, I wish id had the whole lot done by propex. Its 1300 fitted I think. Tank, heater, BBQ point and manifold all in and certified safe.

Thirsk is defo northen england :)
Autogas are super helpful and I'm sure will do a decent price. Though adding the cost of the tank and heater plus the pipes and labour, I wish id had the whole lot done by propex. Its 1300 fitted I think. Tank, heater, BBQ point and manifold all in and certified safe.
Haha yeah, what I mean is further north

In hindsight I wish I hadn’t also just paid for a kit to be installed from the get go. I initially thought I would do the plumbing myself with the “how hard can it be” attitude but with my wife and young kids sharing the camper with me I can’t bring myself to do it

The underslung tank is an awesome bit of kit. We use the van for all year, running hob, fridge, night heater, oven. Get through 2 tanks a year that’s around 20 litres @ 42p a litre. Cheaper than chips (cooked in the oven btw).

A few other related questions to those that have an underslung tank-

1 - Does it auto cut off when filling when the tank is full? (Like a petrol/diesel pump would do)

2 - Do you still use a flexi pipe for the last metre to the cooker or do you run copper the full distance? (Was thinking I could take it to a shut off valve and at the other side of the valve have a male hose attachment that I could clamp a hose to. Would be easier than running copper to the cooker as the cooker is fitter and has a flexi already attached)

3 - For those with underslung propex heaters where are you bringing the hot air in and the cab air out?

Thanks

1 - Does it auto cut off when filling when the tank is full? (Like a petrol/diesel pump would do)

2 - Do you still use a flexi pipe for the last metre to the cooker or do you run copper the full distance? (Was thinking I could take it to a shut off valve and at the other side of the valve have a male hose attachment that I could clamp a hose to. Would be easier than running copper to the cooker as the cooker is fitter and has a flexi already attached)

3 - For those with underslung propex heaters where are you bringing the hot air in and the cab air out?

Thanks

1.Filling stops when full

2. I don’t know, but remember rubber hose needs replacing every 2-3 years.

3. Not sure of the question

Thanks
Question 1. Can’t answer as I haven’t filled the tank up yet as didn’t want to before it went into the workshop for its current bit of modding.

Q2. Haven’t got a cooker in van so can’t help.

Q3. I have a Propex underslung heater which brings the warm air in through OEM ducts in the b-post, and recirculates it through the front step; as per below.
Fitting the OEM Auxillary Heating Ductwork

Thanks

Point 3 - @DaveyB

Back