Underslung gas or onboard gas?

JonriceT6

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi.
I am currently awaiting my full conversion but thought about having an underslung gas tank to feed the hob and an external bbq point.
Are there any negatives to having this rather than the usual onboard gas bottle?

Any feedback would help.

Hi,
I fitted my underslung gas tank on Tuesday. My main reasons for fitting this over an internal bottle were;
- Space inside the van. I thought long and hard about layout's and it seemed too difficult to2 locate a gas locker neatly out of the way that didn't impede too much on space (In my layout thoughts though, I have seen some nice solutions but not for me).
- Cost of gas long term. No swapping of bottles, rock up at a relevant gas station and fill up the underslung tank cheaper. Long term cost benefits I didn't look into too much but I liked the refillable idea.
- Fortunately for me the petrol station down the road for sells LPG at the pump, I have another fuel station 7/8 miles away so availability in and around me is very accessible. It's worth checking availability as if the 2 fuel stations near me decided to stop selling LPG then I would have to drive a lot further out to re-fill and then you will have to consider if the fuel cost of just filling up your tank was worth it rather than grabbing another bottle from somewhere.
- I like the electronic interface kit, being able to visually see the gas level in the tank from the inside of the van.

I haven't actually filled my gas tank up yet and used it as I need to make the connections off at the BBQ outlet and the cooker (not yet installed) but it was easy enough to install and it neatly tucks out of the way.

I hope this helps somewhat as to my thoughts and why I selected underslung :thumbsup:

It's just my personal opinion but I've never really seen the need for an external gas point and we use the ubiquitous Camping 907 cylinder n a gas safe in the van. However, it has to be said that a lot of people do worry about how much it costs for a filled exchange cylinder - that used to include me but I now realise that a 907 goes a long way for the sort of use that we put them to (ie. mostly making tea!) so I dion't worry about it so much (we also tend to use a small portable gas stove on longer trips and an electric kettle when on hookup). In addition, although I confess to not knowing the true situation, I have seen and heard reservations being expressed about the availability (or otherwise) of 'autogas' to refill an external tank.

On the basis that I don't need / want the external gas point, if I was doing a conversion now, I would seriously consider fitting a Wallas diesel hob / heater and do away with gas altogether.

Thanks for the input. My reasoning is rather than having various gas bottles for the cadac, and for the internal job - one underslung would be easier?
I live quite local to all major gas stations and retail parks so hopefully access to refilling won’t be an issue.
I have looked into the wall as diesel hob / heater but heard they are quite noisy if you want the heater on? Not sure how true this is

I live quite local to all major gas stations and retail parks so hopefully access to refilling won’t be an issue.
Do check first, as some sites are closing off their LPG pumps.

https://www.mylpg.eu

Last edited:
Do check first, as some sites are closing off their LPG pumps.

https://www.mylpg.eu

Argh yes. Only two close to me now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought about this and in the end went for internal using a cadac dual power pack and 500g bottles.
My reasoning being I can get 6 bottles (3kg) gas for £20 and the take up much less space than a 907
The time it would take me to recoup this in LPG would be mental

0D71941E-4CC5-4C82-9C1A-65F72A1DB95B.jpeg
Picture for reference

My last van had gas heating and a gas hob, I got it converted from the 907 to underslung and it was great. LPG was cheaper, it could be switched on/off without leaving the van, and I suppose freed up space inside the van. I found it inconvenient to rock up somewhere at dark o'clock, walk outside the van on a sodden parking spot and footer about with the back doors open switching on the 907 in the hosing rain. The other benefit was an internal gauge so the gas remaining was instantly visible.
I had an external BBQ point but it was never used once. At the time there was an LPG pump nearby although this has now gone, although in two years I think I only filled it up once from half full.

My new van has a 907, before the van conversion I asked for the 907 to be placed within the kitchen unit so I can again switch it on/off without leaving the van. I've a diesel heater now and after two years I weighed my 907 to find it still 2/3 full as it rarely gets used - a couple of reheated meals or soup and half a dozen kettle boils a year.
The only drawback I still have with the 907 is keeping an eye on the remaining gas level, I wish there was something reliable that would show the remaining gas inside a 907 without removing it and putting it on the scales.

Summary - underslung was better but the conversion cost isn't worth it for my low usage. I've just priced up an LPG conversion and, at about £900, that's a lot of 907 refills - far more than I'm ever going to buy for this van. At some usage point the LPG conversion cost becomes well worth it and brings greater convenience but I'm nowhere near that point.

thanks for the input guys. Think I’m going to sway towards gas bottles, as my usage will be low also. In my understanding the 907 requires a locker? But what about cadac bottles, is there any regulations with having these in a locker?

Can someone tell me how to run the hob and an external bbq point from my 907 inside the van. Do I just use a two way valve? Preferably there is some kind of external bbq point which can live under the rear bumper. Do I just run the copper pipe under the van to that point? If so, what route and do I need lagging for it and so on

I thought about this and in the end went for internal using a cadac dual power pack and 500g bottles.
My reasoning being I can get 6 bottles (3kg) gas for £20 and the take up much less space than a 907
The time it would take me to recoup this in LPG would be mental

View attachment 156550
Picture for reference
Hi I like your idea of using cadac power pack 500.. Is there a specific connector to hub... I'm.adding a single burner to my van (no room 4 907)and can't justify (for odd cup of tea) the cost of a underslung LPG system.. So keen to understand your system... Much appreciated if can let me know thks

I used the cadac power pac which I mounted to the underside of the shelf (had a to make a filler piece with some off cut wood with a circular recess to get a secure fit.

I wanted to run hard line direct to this but struggled to find the right size figment to take and 8mm copper line direct (I think the power pack uses reverse direction thread) so ended up using a right angled quick release (like this: Cadac 8mm 90 Degree Quick Release Coupling | Cadac UK) which I screwed into the power pack in place of the hose that came with it.

I then used flex hose with crimped connectors to run up to a barbed fitting on my hard line which was mounted to the underside of the worktop.
I can take some more pictures when I’m next at the van.

I was worried might be considered a bit dodgy but was inspected when I took my hob to be recall checked and was deemed safe. It also needs if I do buy a cadac later I can use the same power pack with a quick release hose and cook outside (although with drivers sliding door open)

Hope that helps (I stole this idea from skyline north who had this in some of their vans when I got my pop top fitted and was nosy)

Got a couple of pics today…

First shows the line from power pack to main line and 90 deg coupling

Second shows the mount and 90degree quick coupling

Third shows connection to hard line.

Excuse the mess in the cupboards

Hope that helps. Any more qs happy to help

9B1B0744-495F-4E9F-9FDD-D64CA6277E6A.jpeg

96625C23-BF2E-4A5F-8C7C-34C737820077.jpeg

B97D43D3-1B58-4232-AEB6-7145B65200CB.jpeg

Not a problem,
For me was a much more space friendly way of getting gas and lasts long enough

I got a 6 pack of bottles from go outdoors for about £20 and can store them in the same space and the twin slider makes changing them a a breeze

image.jpg

Back