Towbar bike rack that allows tailgate to open fully

@Spaghetti. For me personally, the Easyfold XT2 is by far the best option as we don't have anywhere to store something bigger other than the loft which would get be a real pain in the aris after a while. The only problem is that you pay extra for the folding feature if you can't get a bargain - I tracked on line prices for quite a while before buying one and in the end, Halfords took a large lump off the RRP which, coupled with another 15% Forces Discount gave me what I though was a real bargain. Also, the modification which I described in my earlier post is very easy to do and only involves a T30 bit and 13mm Socket/spanner on two bolts, a hacksaw and a file (to round of the cut edges).

Weirdly, I've since found out it's also cheaper if you buy the Volvo branded version - exactly the same rack but up to £200 less.

@Spaghetti. For me personally, the Easyfold XT2 is by far the best option as we don't have anywhere to store something bigger other than the loft which would get be a real pain in the aris after a while. The only problem is that you pay extra for the folding feature if you can't get a bargain - I tracked on line prices for quite a while before buying one and in the end, Halfords took a large lump off the RRP which, coupled with another 15% Forces Discount gave me what I though was a real bargain. Also, the modification which I described in my earlier post is very easy to do and only involves a T30 bit and 13mm Socket/spanner on two bolts, a hacksaw and a file (to round of the cut edges).

Weirdly, I've since found out it's also cheaper if you buy the Volvo branded version - exactly the same rack but up to £200 less.
Can you fit a 4th rail on the easy fold one?

I have barndoors . Love the atera for being able to open.
Hi. I'm thinking of getting a Atera DL for my T6 with Barndoors. Do you have the DL 3 or DL 2 ? I only need a two bike option but was wondering if the two bike slid as far away from the van as the three bike model?

Hi. I'm thinking of getting a Atera DL for my T6 with Barndoors. Do you have the DL 3 or DL 2 ? I only need a two bike option but was wondering if the two bike slid as far away from the van as the three bike model?
In the same place here; just want to know if the DL2 will clear the doors….
Did you get one…
Did It clear the doors?
Wish there was somewhere I could go try them out..?

Just looked up the data sheets on RoofBox and the DL2 “slides” only 230mm
Which is 150mm less than the DL at 380mm…
So it’s much by less likely to be clear of those barn doors … :confused:

In the same place here; just want to know if the DL2 will clear the doors….
Did you get one…
Did It clear the doors?
Wish there was somewhere I could go try them out..?
We only have 2 bikes, but were advised that we needed the DL3 - admittedly, we've got a tailgate, but I'd have thought the clearance would be similar. Ask Roofbox - they'll know.

I have barn doors two bikes and went for the DL3. Means if you have wider handle bars you don't have to turn them. The other thing is that you can fit the rack with the doors open so the less chance of banging the doors and wrecking the paint work

Hi

I am looking for some advise on tow bar bike racks for 4 bikes. My T6 has a tailgate and wanting a rack which tilts so we can open the tailgate. I have seen the Witter ZX204/ ZX304 but does anyone know if this tilts enough to open the tailgate. The bike rack will only be for occasional use so dont want to spend a fortune. Any advise would be welcome.
Try Brown's outdoors UK. Stef is the man, can supply the number if interested.

We only have 2 bikes, but were advised that we needed the DL3 - admittedly, we've got a tailgate, but I'd have thought the clearance would be similar. Ask Roofbox - they'll know.
They wouldn’t promise it would work… but it does, this is point of closest approach…

Firstly thanks everyone @here for taking the time to post feedback and pics, much appreciated!

Thanks to your help it looks like I'll be going for the Atera STRADA DL 3 for my T6.1 (tailgate). Right now I have the 4-bike VW rack and physically I'm unable to lift a 25Kg bike up that far.

I'll need to get a towbar fitted too, so ... two questions if I may:

1) Do I really need a detachable towbar to keep the parking sensors working when the rack is unmounted? Or is this just raising extra revenue for the vendor?
2) The T6.1 also has the factory-fitted reversing camera. Is there *any* chance I'll have a usable image with a bike mounted on the rack?

I can't visualise where the rack and bike will stand vertically on the van, to work out whether it'll cover the camera. Knowing my luck ...

2) with two bikes on the same rack I can see pretty much bu__er all in the OE reversing camera except the bikes…

Reactions: GCT
1) It does not need to be a detachable towbar but will need coding and interfacing correctly to let the van know you have a trailer\bike carrier attached once you connect the electrics plug. It also enables the bulb out detection for the attached unit.

2) This will defeat the reversing sensors but allow the camera to work. All be it with limited visibility and no visibility if you have a cover over the bikes!

@GCT. For what it's worth, I've got a T6 with a towbar mounted rack and I've fitted an Autovox TW1 camera set up which works a treat, albeit the camera angle of view is not quite as wide as the OEM camera. The camera sits above the number plate on the rack but you do have to have an additional monitor in the cab. It's one of these:

1) It does not need to be a detachable towbar but will need coding and interfacing correctly to let the van know you have a trailer\bike carrier attached once you connect the electrics plug. It also enables the bulb out detection for the attached unit.

2) This will defeat the reversing sensors but allow the camera to work. All be it with limited visibility and no visibility if you have a cover over the bikes!
Thanks for the specifics

I’d definitely get it coded; can I ask, is there any advantage going with 13-pin electrics for just a tow bar? (Such a newb )

can I ask, is there any advantage going with 13-pin electrics for just a tow bar? (Such a newb )

Personally I would go 13 pin. It has more capabilities and future proofs the towing electrics.

@GCT. For what it's worth, I've got a T6 with a towbar mounted rack and I've fitted an Autovox TW1 camera set up which works a treat, albeit the camera angle of view is not quite as wide as the OEM camera. The camera sits above the number plate on the rack but you do have to have an additional monitor in the cab. It's one of these:
Thanks, I read your post with interest Being someone familiar with electronics, I can’t help thinking, maybe I can adapt and extend the wiring for the VW camera, and create a custom housing, to reuse the internal display? Sounds like an excellent project!

Back