Towbar bike rack that allows tailgate to open fully

I have ordered a BackSwing | Yakima you can use any type of bike carrier then and it will just swing out of the way to open the doors.
even with these drop-down ones yr still climbing over rack to access back of van.
I had a Thule one that fitted on the tailgate - sort of ok but anymore than 2 bikes on and your struggling to open tailgate.

I have ordered a BackSwing | Yakima you can use any type of bike carrier then and it will just swing out of the way to open the doors.
even with these drop-down ones yr still climbing over rack to access back of van.
I had a Thule one that fitted on the tailgate - sort of ok but anymore than 2 bikes on and your struggling to open tailgate.
Yeah i do like those, but for some reason we only have tow bars and dont do proper hitches in this country, which would open up the options somewhat (or it would if you could also buy hitch racks in this country)

Suerly someone makes the towbars with the square receiver? maybe there is an export market opening up :) or a gaping big hole for a towbar manufacture to fill.....

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I am looking to buy bike carrier for 4 cycles for converted transporter with tail gate type door so looking for a bit of advise.
I have borrowed one last week from a friend (one with tilting function) although when rack tilted with bikes on I could not open the rear door. Just not enough room between the rack and the door. (tail gate type)
I guess my question is if there is a rack that woul allow for doors to open.
Thank you.
KR
Jjbowser

I have an Atera Strada DL which gives enough space, provided you're careful about how you load up the bikes. However, having just purchased two electric bikes including a 'full squasher' Cube with wide bars, it's quite a challenge to push it back into place whilst loaded after you've slid it away to open the tailgate. This was in part due to the fact that I'd put the Cube on first and the wide bars were making contact with the rear screen. Put one of the others on first and it would be easier.

@ThreeBridgeT6. I’ll confess that I don’t know anything whatsoever about electric bikes but it’s not unusual to shorten the handlebars on a ‘normal’ flat bar bike. That said, I appreciate that there’s probably some complex electrical stuff to avoid!

Another vote for the Atera Strada DL.
Bought mine at Roofbox.

Whatever you buy, any rack with 4 bikes on is going to weigh a bit.

I have a Halfords towbar 4-bike carrier for sale if anyone is interested!

Thank you all for you help and advise.
I have looked at halfords one but it doesn't tillt.
Thank you again, it looks like I'll be getting Atera Strada than.

@ThreeBridgeT6. I’ll confess that I don’t know anything whatsoever about electric bikes but it’s not unusual to shorten the handlebars on a ‘normal’ flat bar bike. That said, I appreciate that there’s probably some complex electrical stuff to avoid!
I don't think there's any difference really @Ayjay - I suspect it's more to do with the overall geometry - mine's a 29"er and I think this generally means wider flat bars. As others have suggested, I think I'll look to slacken off the stem bolt and turn them next time I load them.

I have an altera strada dl at present on a westfalia detachable towbar.
Just bought a new bike and its wheelbase is 1300mm. I have a t6 with barndoors. Any ideas of some good racks?

Thule also spec the Easyfolds at 1.3M If you‘re interested in easy stowage and portability.

@Spaghetti. By coincidence, I posted this on Saturday.
I managed to give my van a tow bar mounted bike rack that now folds down to allow the tailgate to open properly. I've got a Thule Easyfold XT2 which, as the name indicates, folds to the size of a medium sized suitcase when not in use. Because it is so portable and easy to store when folded up and in it's zip up cover, I have always been willing to put up with the inconvenience on not being able to open the back when we're using the rack unless we either unload the bikes and then take it off or, as we did most of the time during our recent South of France road trip, just lift the whole thing off (ie. bikes 'n all) and drop it back on when we needed to. However, the novelty of doing that started to wear off as it can sometimes be awkward to place it in exactly the right spot to enable it to lock down properly on the tow ball. Anyway, I saw a video on YouTube made by a couple under the name of 'California Time' where they simply took out to thick plastic bungs which doubled as the stops for tilt mechanism on the rack. At first, I wasn't keen on their idea as I reckoned that the bungs probably contributed to the strength of the pivot point but when I got to take it apart, I realised that you could cut them down to a size which allowed the rack to fold enough but still maintained the structural integrity. An hours work and job done - I've just been out (in the rain) to test it and the tailgate clears the rack easily. I just need to make a prop of some kind now otherwise all the weight will rest on the handlebars of the outside bike when it's folded. A 27" length of roofing batten with a V cut into one end should do nicely but that's for later. If anyone's interested, I can explain some more and take some pics.

@Spaghetti. By coincidence, I posted this on Saturday.
Thank you for the reply. I saw the Velospace XT3 on a T6 up at Ben Nevis and had a chat with the owner. Was impressed. It’s good to have other options, so thank you.

I’ve had the Genuine VW tailgate rack and didn’t get on with it personally.

Back