Towbar bike rack that allows tailgate to open fully

Also worth checking to see if you can change the positioning of the retention cable, to allow the rack to tilt further. I have a Thule Velospace XT (would highly recommend, btw), and there are two positions for the retention cable to allow opening of the tailgate .

Good thought, though, this Thule model doesn't have the adjustable retention cable unfortunately, it has a design feature where the outer bike carrier comes to rest on the rack frame when tilted. May have to go for an upgrade... any one with a Mondeo want a thule rack :) ?

What are people using for towbar mounted bike racks ?
I've acquired a Thule 943 - 3 bike rack and as you can see it won't tilt far enough to allow the tailgate to open ??
I have a Westphalia detachable swan neck tow ball.

View attachment 112124

hi
Just got a DL 3 for my t6 transporter barn door for this exact need and works a treat. Clears both doors.

What are people using for towbar mounted bike racks ?
I've acquired a Thule 943 - 3 bike rack and as you can see it won't tilt far enough to allow the tailgate to open ??
I have a Westphalia detachable swan neck tow ball.

View attachment 112124

hi
Just got a DL 3 for my t6 transporter barn door for this exact need and works a treat. Clears both doors.

Yes the DL3 is the one to have, works well with my tail gate. Better engineered than the Thule too. I found a second hand DL3 on ebay. Sold my Thule in 30 mins on fbook market place !

Yes the DL3 is the one to have, works well with my tail gate. Better engineered than the Thule too. I found a second hand DL3 on ebay. Sold my Thule in 30 mins on fbook market place !
Good stuff First road trip next weekend to fully try it out so hopefully no issues

Still trying to ascertain which towbar mounted cycle racks will allow T6 tailgate to fully open when rack is tilted?
Anyone knows if the Atera Strada Sport M2 will do the job? Or the Thule Rideon 2?
Don't mind folding handlebars of first bike at right angles to allow more room.
Cheers
Glenn

Last edited:
I’ve just ordered an Atera Strada DL as it slides back and gives more clearance than just tilting. Works with tailgate and barn doors.

A Thule Easyfold on Westfalia detachable certainly doesn’t tilt enough for the tailgate to open but I like it because of it‘s ease of storage (due to small size when folded). I’ve heard good things about the Atera though.

Still trying to ascertain which towbar mounted cycle racks will allow T6 tailgate to fully open when rack is tilted?
Anyone knows if the Atera Strada Sport M2 will do the job? Or the Thule Rideon 2?
Don't mind folding handlebars of first bike at right angles to allow more room.
Cheers
Glenn
Just bought the Pro User Diamant SG Plus - two bike rack...tilts all the way and handle bars on my FS MTB don't touch the back of the van...

The AS DL3 as suggested - however, you'll have to rotate the bars on the innermost bike if you have 3 on. Even if you only have 2 bikes, you really need the DL3 because of this. You may also find that depending on what tow-bar you have, the rack may need a little push to help it clear the door. Ours does - we have the OE VW removable tow-bar. I note others have the same issue, but some folk don't. Friends with a Ford have the same rack - same problem.

If anyone had theirs supplied by Exploria, I believe they do a minor mod which helps this. Does anyone know what it is they do? I asked a while back but they never got back to me.

Finally - and advice to anyone with an AS rack, it's essential that the locking indicator for the locking part of the slide mech is fully up when the rack is slid back up for travel. I note it occasionally doesn't come up, and there was a tale here, or elsewhere, recently of one of these racks (and bikes) coming off the bar. The chap concerned didn't know what happened, but I wonder if the rack slid back and levered the connection off the tow ball, based on the pics and description. I've certainly had the rack not be locked when I thought it was, and it now gets a good tug to check it's secure. As well as the visual on the indicator pin.

Last edited:
This is my van with the ASDL3 which arrived today. Fits great on the West Falia detachable tow bar. Doors open fine when in the down position and I didn’t need to turn the bars on my bike; I may however need to on my FS bike as they are slightly longer. With the software update all lights work fine and the rear parking sensors seem to be disabled which is good.

5AA02F8B-3AD8-4EA0-94F8-0F8A383277DA.jpeg

Also worth checking to see if you can change the positioning of the retention cable, to allow the rack to tilt further. I have a Thule Velospace XT (would highly recommend, btw), and there are two positions for the retention cable to allow opening of the tailgate .
Do you have any pictures, I would really appreciate it if you do as I’m trying to get the best option for my T6 tailgate; A fella at Halfords says the Thule velospace 3 is the one to have but it’s a he said thing. Thanks

Do you have any pictures, I would really appreciate it if you do as I’m trying to get the best option for my T6 tailgate; A fella at Halfords says the Thule velospace 3 is the one to have but it’s a he said thing. Thanks
Here you go; currently on “longest” setting which works with the tailgate, and you can see the other hole for the retention cable here
AE7E9002-7B28-4114-A092-D0525A7ADD08.jpeg

I think its a velospace XT; pretty sure mine is a 939. Not sure what is different to a velospace 3

D51C85E9-914D-4257-A01C-1A6D7A6BF9F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back