Towbar bike rack that allows tailgate to open fully

Orangedub99

Hi

I am looking for some advise on tow bar bike racks for 4 bikes. My T6 has a tailgate and wanting a rack which tilts so we can open the tailgate. I have seen the Witter ZX204/ ZX304 but does anyone know if this tilts enough to open the tailgate. The bike rack will only be for occasional use so dont want to spend a fortune. Any advise would be welcome.

Hi @Orangedub99 and welcome!

The search function (top right) is your best way to search the wealth of information on this forum.

The Atera Strada DL3 seems to be the most popular tilting tailgate bike rack that still allows the tailgate to open with bikes loaded.

I have a witter 4 bike rack I used on my skoda superb - I’ve not tried it on the van yet. My only concern is the two fabric straps with plastic lined metal clips that are supposed to hook onto the edge of the boot lid / tailgate.

On the Skoda I found the strap angle was OK to use the tether points inside the boot rather than the lid - I’m averse to hanging stuff off bodywork edges!

Thule two bike towbar mounted rack....I think I’ll need a number plate ;)

I had to spin the handle bars on the bike nearest the doors - usually these would be over the boot on a car IYSWIM.

54ACA57A-5A1A-43C4-8A17-AF2D5C2B2C11.jpeg

Just tried the 4 bike carrier and with a bit of paint protection film on the barn doors I think it would be OK. The doors wouldnt open even with the rack dropped. I tested with a bit of string and I think it very doubtful the tailgate would open. Maybe if the adjustable upright rest was moved forward?

Anyone is welcome to drop by and try it! I’m in South Leicester.

7A19F82B-EE97-4F6A-92EE-92A2CFBF23F2.jpeg

62ACC2DC-EC25-4E85-954B-D30E22C09F2B.jpeg

68DB6CB9-5D19-4D72-8663-C67B67088D81.jpeg

3319EB6A-676E-4837-8A4E-8956BA1108D4.jpeg

Thule two bike towbar mounted rack....I think I’ll need a number plate ;)

Not being funny but you see people making this mistake all the time, driving along with bikes hanging off the back with a number plate attached to one of the bikes, all the while with their tail lights either partially or completely obscured.
I’d be more concerned from a safety point of view with making my tail lights visible before the number plate, although obviously both should be clearly visible.

Mine's going in for exactly that - 4 bike rack on tow bar with tailgate - should have it back last week July; I'll let you know and post some pics if you like?
@Des Thanks. Please share once you have the bike rack fitted. Would be interested to see if the tailgate opens. Is it the Witter ZX you are having fitted?

Hi

I am looking for some advise on tow bar bike racks for 4 bikes. My T6 has a tailgate and wanting a rack which tilts so we can open the tailgate. I have seen the Witter ZX204/ ZX304 but does anyone know if this tilts enough to open the tailgate. The bike rack will only be for occasional use so dont want to spend a fortune. Any advise would be welcome.
Hi I have a video review of the Atera Strada on my channel and why we switched from the VW Tailgate Rack
Link Below you are interested:
Campervan Journey Atera Strada Review
JT

I have fitted a reversing camera onto the rack so I can see any obstructions and maximise any space for manoeuvring
The camera is connected to an app on your smart phone via a Static wifi network you set up. Powered via the towing 13 pin socket using pin 10 & 11 so when ignition of the van is off there is no drain on the battery
Lots of choice on eBay with the item being sold by lots of people at various prices

150°WiFi Wireless Car Rear View Cam Backup Reverse Camera For iPhone Android Uz | eBay

I used this camera on my towball mounted box for one moth in Feb travelling through Spain & Portugal With all weathers no problem. The slight downside is you will have to select the network before opening app and it will auto disconnect if no data transmitted (pics) from the camera138797FF-78B3-4D59-8067-4327CC2D1438.jpegDF2B5038-D981-445F-AEAB-F06B761CB51C.jpeg0CB82A03-B301-4E28-8301-E87557E272FF.jpeg

now that's clever !

I have fitted a reversing camera onto the rack so I can see any obstructions and maximise any space for manoeuvring
The camera is connected to an app on your smart phone via a Static wifi network you set up. Powered via the towing 13 pin socket using pin 10 & 11 so when ignition of the van is off there is no drain on the battery
Lots of choice on eBay with the item being sold by lots of people at various prices

150°WiFi Wireless Car Rear View Cam Backup Reverse Camera For iPhone Android Uz | eBay

I used this camera on my towball mounted box for one moth in Feb travelling through Spain & Portugal With all weathers no problem. The slight downside is you will have to select the network before opening app and it will auto disconnect if no data transmitted (pics) from the cameraView attachment 76170View attachment 76171View attachment 76172

What are people using for towbar mounted bike racks ?
I've acquired a Thule 943 - 3 bike rack and as you can see it won't tilt far enough to allow the tailgate to open ??
I have a Westphalia detachable swan neck tow ball.

thule tilt.jpg

Search the forum for Atera DL3 - seems to tilt enough for tailgate and barn doors.

Pete

Back