Roadtripper's Caravelle tinkering

Also a quick report of our roadtrip to Loch Tay.

20240216_155435.JPG

Basically 5 members of the group were disappointed that we didn't find extensive snow, 1 member (me) was rather glad as I'd want to have the van in a snowy carpark first. So we didn't explore quite as far as I would have done in the XC70 (with CC2 and AWD and a decade of knowing what it can and can't do)

We did get up to the snowy area around the Lawers Dam though and found a kindred spirit (or at least the van - anyone on here?)
20240212_112500-01.jpeg
20240212_115436.JPG20240212_115355.JPG

We also got out to Rannoch Moor, one of my favourite places in the country. Wasn't quite as peaceful as normal as the railway was tipping great truckloads of fridge sized boulders into the yard at the station to transport down the line for engineering works. The weather cleared for our hike though and I did get to see a vehicle I'd love to use - I'm a long term fan of the proper Defender and as may now be apparent I'm quite keen on railways...

20240213_133625.JPG20240213_134823.JPG20240213_133417.JPG

We also visited Aviemore and, unexpectedly, the Strathspey Railway was running so we took a trip. There seemed to be quite a lot of the T5/T6 crew stocking up at the Aviemore Lidl too!

20240215_160437.JPG

All in all a great roadtrip. The Caravelle did what we got it for and prepped it for very well, a camper we don't happen to sleep in.

The new red low level cabin lighting running of the Beaudens power pack worked very well.

The bungee cord additions to our tailgate rain shields really helped.

We didn't get a chance to try out our attempt at a stub side awning, though once MrsRT had finished sewing and assembling it it didn't have quite the magnet holding strength we had hoped for.

Last edited:
A day of tinkering with the van today.

First job was fitting a switch to disable the power tailgate so it doesn't close on the kitchen:

I also trialled a bungee from the base of the tailgate ram to the locating peg on the tailgate, this allows me to wrap the rear of the rain guards around it and secure with a couple of small clamps. It might help in wind.

View attachment 228393

Also trialling some designs of rain guards for having the side door open in on off drizzle. Last time we tried the door card got far wetter than I expected so MrsRT is making a panel with magnets to go between the open door and roof.

I'm toying with battens and magnets to see if we can make a stub awning over the doorway

View attachment 228394
Are the rain guards completely homemade? Brilliant idea. If so what fabric is it? Am looking at doing something similar.

Are the rain guards completely homemade? Brilliant idea. If so what fabric is it? Am looking at doing something similar.
Advantage of having a Wardrobe Mistress in the house :thumbsup:

It's just normal ripstop nylon and 25mm magnets. Make a template up with some newspaper. They have about an inch seam and the magnets are in that, half the trick is not letting them stick to the sewing machine apparently.

Just be aware if the wind really gets up the magnets slide and they could mark the paint, so I only ever put them on the inside surfaces. I may add some helicopter tape at some point.

Thats excellent - will try something similar. And now I know about helicopter tape - well... :)
I also intend to put some on the curve of the roof the side of the awning rail if we start using the sun awning more as the fabric and straps may rub there.

Back