T6 LWB T30 140 Acapulco blue - Build Thread

Sounds good :)

I recall reading this whole thread again and something else jumped out at me. You mention having to bend/alter something to get the fridge to sit flush. Got anymore info? Do you not have a panel behind it? I maybe misremembering (is this a word?) what I read, but i'm getting the same fridge and a very similar kit.

Yeah thats correct. I dont have a panel behind my fridge instead I just applied foil bubble insulation to the inside of the panel. To make the fridge sit further in you have to put two relief cuts on the bottom inner lip and then hammer it in. I dont have a photo of this but in the photo below you can see the lip before I bent it in (the carpetted bit at the bottom thats about 4 inch high)

34106143714_48bafac8c7_b.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

I was going to panel mine and cut a hole for the fridge but once I realised you can't even see the panel due to the furniture I didn't bother

I'm just gonna leave the vw hardboard panel there and cut it. Mainly to protect the 50mm of sound proofing foam that's in the panel.

Thanks @GeordieVanJam , I don't have any pics of the reverse camera install but I followed a guide from the other forum for removing the rear door trim piece to install it. The link is somewhere in this thread (or maybe in the other thread I created about my reverse cam problem). I still haven't fully cured my issue as it works intermittently. I'm going to switch the power supply to a fuse box ignition live to see if that sorts it as I have a feeling it's a voltage issue I have
No worries. I'll keep tracking your progress with interest. I'm getting closer to my own purchase soon and I'm chomping at the bit to get going... I was getting excited when I got my angle grinder out today for a bit of diy!

Came home today to find that some moron had dented my door and scratched my bumper while my van was parked outside my house. No note left. Annoyingly I haven't fitted my front and rear dash cams yet

IMG_3976.JPG

Came home today to find that some moron had dented my door and scratched my bumper while my van was parked outside my house. No note left. Annoyingly I haven't fitted my front and rear dash cams yet

View attachment 11620
Bell ends! I remember waiting for an hour and a half to explain to an old lady why my t25 had written off her Nissan micra (I also had to explain to my mechanic why my bumper needed straightening out !). Not sure people give a toss about anyone but themselves in the modern world :(

Great post, the plan was to read it while having a cup of tea... 2 hours later. :rofl:

Fantastic job, really interested to see if I could DIY a van myself and based on what I've seen there's nothing too complicated, I have all the tools, attention to detail etc.

Early retirement looms and this type of thing might keep me busy, thanks again. :thumbsup:

Afternoon matey,

Who did you source the lpg tank from? I think it'll be invaluable for my van so gonna fit one myself. Got 2 very different prices for what I am told is the exact same tank and kit. They are specific for the T5/t6. How much did you pay?

And how was the install? It looks pretty easy (famous last words!). Fortunately I've got a competant and willing helper :)

Thanks for answering all my questions so far anyway, this thread had been invaluable.

Cheers
Si

Afternoon matey,

Who did you source the lpg tank from? I think it'll be invaluable for my van so gonna fit one myself. Got 2 very different prices for what I am told is the exact same tank and kit. They are specific for the T5/t6. How much did you pay?

And how was the install? It looks pretty easy (famous last words!). Fortunately I've got a competant and willing helper :)

Thanks for answering all my questions so far anyway, this thread had been invaluable.

Cheers
Si
I got mine from autogas. It's the same tank used by gas IT etc. I purchased the T5 kit as there wasn't a specific T6 kit but it's the same floor pan I believe. So far I have installed the tank using the supplied brackets. This was easy enough to do. I still need to plumb it in though to my propex heater and my cooker. I've not had a chance to do this yet. Access is the main issue as I'm lying under the van to do this as don't have use of a ramp so having to jack the van up and then use axle stands. My van being lowered is making this more of a pain. I've now put the installation on hold until I get my new garage doors fitted (to allow me to fit the van in my garage). Once it's in there I will fit the propex heater and plumb in the pipework and finish the job off properly

Hi @xpfloyd, I've been watching and reading your build thread for a while now and you've done a great job.
I to wish to convert my own van soon and you have given me and everyone else great insight into the actual build and I thank you for this.
I do wish to ask you a vital question which will help me a great deal in my future decisions though, can you price you're conversion so we can see what items have cost as well as the total build cost please. I understand if you don't wish to do this but I think it would be very helpful for myself and others who are trying to decide to self build.
Thanking you in advance
Jo

Hi @xpfloyd, I've been watching and reading your build thread for a while now and you've done a great job.
I to wish to convert my own van soon and you have given me and everyone else great insight into the actual build and I thank you for this.
I do wish to ask you a vital question which will help me a great deal in my future decisions though, can you price you're conversion so we can see what items have cost as well as the total build cost please. I understand if you don't wish to do this but I think it would be very helpful for myself and others who are trying to decide to self build.
Thanking you in advance
Jo
Thanks Jo and no problem, I don't mind posting. The actual breakdown is on my work computer so I will post later but to date I have spent £37k (18 on the van and 19 on the conversion)

Thanks @xpfloyd look forward to seeing your costings as you have done lots to your van, some of which I won't be doing but this will give me an insight as to the true cost of what I'm intending doing.

Great build mate, time to get out and start enjoying it. You have any trips planned?

Got home a little early from work today so another job off the list - Soundproofing. I applied 2mm silent coat to all the inner skins. I didnt do the roof as its getting cut out later for the pop top /QUOTE]

This a great thread to follow :) How many sheets of silent coat did you get through eventually?

Thanks @xpfloyd look forward to seeing your costings as you have done lots to your van, some of which I won't be doing but this will give me an insight as to the true cost of what I'm intending doing.

Great build mate, time to get out and start enjoying it. You have any trips planned?
Sorry for the delay! I'll post up the costs. Been away a few trips in the van so far and loving it

Another question. What product did you protect your LPG tank with? I've fitted mine which was a bit of a nightmare and now need to spray it to protect against damage. Only sprays I can find are black, white and grey. Which will look a bit random on a red tank :)

Another question. What product did you protect your LPG tank with? I've fitted mine which was a bit of a nightmare and now need to spray it to protect against damage. Only sprays I can find are black, white and grey. Which will look a bit random on a red tank :)

I haven't actually finished the tank install. I am in the process of getting new garage doors fitted so that I can get my van in and I will sort then. Was planning on protecting with black stone guard

Back