T6 LWB T30 140 Acapulco blue - Build Thread

Thanks @DaveyB , got a few odds and ends to square away and then can start using it. Got a long weekend booked off on 7th July so that will likely be first trip away. Need to finish the gas and the propex heater and also get it reclassified so that using the rear seat is legal but that will all be done before the 7th

Need to finish the gas and the propex heater and also get it reclassified so that using the rear seat is legal but that will all be done before the 7th

Hi @xpfloyd -

Interested in the reclassification point.. Rear seats not being legal without reclassification.. I'm pretty sure mines still a commercial van and its the first I've heard of the rear seats not being legal to use.. Have I missed something?

Hi @xpfloyd -

Interested in the reclassification point.. Rear seats not being legal without reclassification.. I'm pretty sure mines still a commercial van and its the first I've heard of the rear seats not being legal to use.. Have I missed something?
@Andrew my V5 states LGV with 3 seats (driver and twin bench). I now have 4 seats (2 front singles and rear rib) so I can't legally use the 4th seat until my V5 states 4 seats which will change as part of the reclassification process

I'm contemplating doing my own windows like you have. You mentioned it was a big learning curve. What sort of things did you discover that may be beneficial for someone looking at doing there's? Reading a rough guide the principle sounds simple however the fact that your cutting a hole in your van and getting wrong could be catastrophic is a very daunting prospect.

I'm contemplating doing my own windows like you have. You mentioned it was a big learning curve. What sort of things did you discover that may be beneficial for someone looking at doing there's? Reading a rough guide the principle sounds simple however the fact that your cutting a hole in your van and getting wrong could be catastrophic is a very daunting prospect.
The process I used is as follows -

Drill through from the inside of the van to the outside every time there is a change of direction using the inner skin as a guide (i.e. holes at both ends of corner curves, changes of angle on the skin etc)
On the outside of the van using a straight edge join up the dots with a permanent marker so that you have a cutting guide that follows the inner skin shape
From the outside of the van jigsaw between the holes following the lines. Use window suckers on the metal work so that when you make the final cut the panel doesnt fall and damage your van. At the curved corners cut a straight line diagonally between the drill holes. On some of the windows you have to cut through the inner skin where the stiffener is but the jigsaw goes through it fine.
Using hand snips trim the metal all around on any bits that are higher than the inner skin. Also use the hand snips to cut the curves at each corner
Using a retractible knife (the ones that you can snap the blades off with) cut into the rubber bead all around between the two skins getting the knife between the bead and the metal and remove all the beading
Knock on the U prifile edge trim using a rubber mallet - Some people put sikaflex between the skins at this point. I dint it on the first window but didnt bother with the rest as the U profile holds the skins together without it
Once the profile is on prime around the outer edge of the trim using the dinitrol primer. Also prime the glass with the activator.
Offer the window up to the rubber and ensure it sits well against the U profile. You may have to knock the trim in or out in places
Once you are sure its a good fit apply the adhesive and then offer up the window - Make sure you have a strong adhesive gun for this. The cheap £5 ones wont cut it, I learned this the hard way. I ended up with a £15 one out of screwfix which handled it well. Also get a bit of heat into the adhesive tube too - I had mine on a radiator when I was doing the other stuff.

Thats basically it

Oh one other thing. Buy a container of panel wipe off ebay or amazon. Its a life saver when you get adhesive on the paint (which you will). With panel wipe it just wipes straight off. Also use rubber gloves as the dinitrol is a nightmare to get off your skin once it dries

I just realised I missed a key step. Once the rubber seal Is removed from between the two skins you need to knock the inner skin out until it meets the outer skin using a rubber hammer. You work your way around the window closing the gap. This allows you to get the u profile rubber trim over both inner and outer skins holding them together and giving a better finish inside the van

Awesome Explanation @xpfloyd, Boosted my confidence a bit to attack this job myself. I think the skills needed are relatively low but there is no room for errors. Really enjoy browsing your build thread.

@Ed Webb if you have a garage you can do it in it will take the pressure off. I was doing it outside and trying to get it done avoiding rain showers the first time and it just added to the stress. The actual work isn't that hard. I had never done anything like that before and it was fine. I had use of a garage for all the side windows and it was much less stressful

I've possibly got access to a warehouse that is used to store lorries and mobile food units over winter for servicing. I may try and use that over a few days to get the job done. prevailing weather wont be a concern then and can be one less thing on my mind. Cheers for the advice.

Back