T6 LWB Indium Grey - MTB Camper Build Thread

I don't know about quality! But even I have to admit it's progressing quicker than I expected.

I don't know about quality! But even I have to admit it's progressing quicker than I expected.
If I was doing my own roof I'd still be at the 6th cup of tea, pacing round, looking at it from different angles and worrying about the first cut stage while the roof gathered dust in the corner :D

To be completely the honest the mechanical installation of the roof wasn't too difficult but I would pay for someone to fit in future, Where I've made mistakes is the tent, it is completely waterproof but aesthetically it is a mess at the front. I've had to pump it full of sealant and it's not pretty. I should have taken more time forming the plastic which holds the fabric down around the ribs in the roof. I'm going to tidy it up with some rubber and it shouldn't look out of place but I know I made a schoolboy error and it's not the level of quality I try to achieve.

Another job ticked off today. I fitted a planar heater. Easy enough DIY job using the videos on their website. Not tested yet. Cables all ready to run from underneath the drivers seat. Eberspacher vents finish the job nicely on the inside.

I've decided I'm going a different way with the van style today. I don't like how low it is and fancy going for the lifted swamper style. If anyone wants a brand new set of SV coilovers and wheels let me know.

20200901_184928.jpg20200901_184924.jpg20200901_184322.jpg20200901_172111.jpg20200901_172036.jpg20200901_172018.jpg

I'm not sure if anybody actually reads this but I'm finding it useful :)

Little more progress today. Slow progress from now on. 2 Weeks off work is up on Monday. Ordered my units from evomotion. I've gone for a SWB Evo 7.4 Unit with window surround and top locker. No rear tambour door just the front one on the unit so I can cut the unit down to the correct length for the bulkhead. I've gone for carbon units and dark orange top. Should look good and be here at the end of october. I've also updated my gear gaiter for a gti orange, I really like it.

I've been working on the rear bike area. Starting with the bike shelf, bed shelf and supports. It's going to be a little more complicated than I first envisaged but it will be bang on when completed.
20200903_185352.jpg20200903_130511.jpg20200903_130413.jpg20200903_125401.jpg

If you have the cali rails can't you just buy the metal wheel anchors or bar? Something like the 40 Winks Bike Anchor?

If you have the cali rails can't you just buy the metal wheel anchors or bar? Something like the 40 Winks Bike Anchor?

I get what you are saying but not what I want. I want to be able to have a functioning camper with the bikes inside. You couldn't have the bikes inside with the bed down. This way I have a waterproof bike area that can be completely separate to the cabin. If the bikes went in with the seat forward the dirt would get over my units. Not ideal.

The bikes are going across the width of the van. There is a drawing i made on the first post.

Sorry I now understand, slide in sideways over the top of the wheel arch. I'm sure I've seen a couple of LWB's with a garage at the rear. Some nice bulkhead options.

It's been a little while since the last update. Not a huge amount of progress.

Bike garage box is coming on. Near completion. Side panels and bulkhead to be made next, ready for altroing, carpet lining and UPOL raptoring. Winter wheel/swamper setup wheels collected from refurb today. Fitting next week and raising coilovers. Epic winter setup if I may say so myself.

IMG_20201001_182031_247.jpg20201001_174518.jpg20200930_151456.jpg20200930_151044.jpg20200927_194700.jpg20200927_155310.jpg

Excellent progress on your van! It’s looking good!

Can you advise what buzzweld product you used on the lower dash? Was it their plastics in one - PIO product? Also, do you have a good photo of the contrast between the lower and upper now that you have done it?

Excellent progress on your van! It’s looking good!

Can you advise what buzzweld product you used on the lower dash? Was it their plastics in one - PIO product? Also, do you have a good photo of the contrast between the lower and upper now that you have done it?

Thanks. It's getting there.

It was PIO, standard black. I can get you a photo shortly showing the colour match. I am very impressed with the match. There is a slight difference but nothing immediately noticable.

Nice one, it was black I was keen on too. Im looking to add caravelle door cards so thinking black would tie them in better

When I get the picture I'll get it with the upper dash and the door cards. Biggest improvement in the cab was getting rid of all the crappy grey/beige

Back