T6 LWB Indium Grey - MTB Camper Build Thread

Winter mode activated! 16" Clayton Alloys and Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 225/70/16 works better than I expected. I may invest in some spacers to fill the arches but I'm very pleased. Coilovers have been raised slightly. It rides so much better!

I'm definitely a smaller wheel convert now. Selling my 20" Bebb alloys. Make me an offer.

20201007_145603.jpg20201007_162707.jpg20201007_162717.jpg

I’ve been thinking about getting some AT wheels for winter and wondered how they would look/fit with my lowered suspension and going by your efforts it will look great. I like the black claytons, what size tyre is on them and do you plan to go back to the 20” for summer duty or will you go full swamper?

Great work on the whole build btw! Amazing and inspiring although I don’t think I’d ever have the confidence or skill (mainly skill) to cut the top off my van myself. Really looking forward to seeing the next instalment

I’ve been thinking about getting some AT wheels for winter and wondered how they would look/fit with my lowered suspension and going by your efforts it will look great. I like the black claytons, what size tyre is on them and do you plan to go back to the 20” for summer duty or will you go full swamper?

Great work on the whole build btw! Amazing and inspiring although I don’t think I’d ever have the confidence or skill (mainly skill) to cut the top off my van myself. Really looking forward to seeing the next instalment

Cheers, I think it looks good too. Claytons work too well. I'm tempted to buy loads of them as they are so cheap and fit A/T tyres. Sell as a package and apply the T6 Tax every company seems to apply. I think it's the next T6 Fad ;)

Tyres are 225/70/16 103T, I'm probably not going to switch back to 20s. People warned me that the drive will be a lot worse and I'll loose feel in the steering with such large profile tyres. Raising the suspension slightly and fitting these has been the best thing I've done. It handles the same as before and the ride is much more compliant.

Whether I go full swamper is yet to be decided. I love the look but I also like the ability to go under barriers... I know my van looks a little confused but I love it.

Watching your bike garage with interest ....any more updates ?

Nothing major yet. I've got a couple of other projects on the go that I need to finish. Transporter HQ V3 headlights are going in tomorrow mind.

Next bits of bike garage work on the van are running the wiring for the leisure circuit. Making the new side panels and then final prep for the box to go in. From that point then it's unplanned and as I go. I need to get altro on the box. Source raptor paint and apply that. Make the false ceiling and back wall and then sorting the cabin side out.

I'm thinking of utilising thule thruride carriers to secure the bikes on the box but I need to have a play and see if my idea is feasible. I like how they can be locked and I could make them quick release to the base leaving a clean boot area.

Pic heavy update. Nice weekend working on the van. Transporter HQ V3 LED Lights installed. More work to the bike box. Electric hook up wired and leisure battery retention made. Lot of head scratching too for the next steps.

20201010_205422.jpg20201010_210711.jpg20201010_211955.jpg20201011_103020.jpg20201011_133645.jpg20201011_143948.jpg20201011_152324.jpg20201011_153751.jpg

Curious as to why you aren’t putting the battery under your seat?
  1. To have access very easily and remove in seconds.
  2. Have the option to put more in at a later date in the same place.
  3. Ease of connections. I feel it's easier for my installation in this position.
  4. Less cable running the full length of the van.
  5. I might want to put a second subwoofer under the passenger seat.
  6. To be different ;)

Tyres are 225/70/16 103T, I'm probably not going to switch back to 20s. People warned me that the drive will be a lot worse and I'll loose feel in the steering with such large profile tyres. Raising the suspension slightly and fitting these has been the best thing I've done. It handles the same as before and the ride is much more compliant.

Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy with the change? Van looks great, watching with interest.

Little update. I've done some work to the back of the van. More fact finding and head scratching than hands on, I have had to extend the bike shelf another 150mm to allow 2 bikes to easily be inserted. Lower side panels made up too. Next up is top panels. One thing to note is Salop Vans stated the van had been sound deadened. I was very surprised to find there was next to no sound deadening so that's another job. It was stuffed full of insulation but no deadening. Not too impressed. It'll be interesting to see the results when it's done.

20201018_154511.jpg

I got a call from EvoMotion that the CNC cut files were being created. Many emails later and the order is finalised, I have gone for a standard front kitchen pod and they are providing material for me to make a custom unit for gap between the kitchen pod and partition wall. They have been very helpful and my cost reduced dramatically so the top loading fridge has been added to the order. That order should be here within the next 2 weeks. They won't go in until the rear of the van is sorted and the partition is in place.

Vanshades were ordered a couple of weeks ago and should be here very soon too. I still need to decide whether I go internal covers for the cab or a one piece external cover.

And finally I tested my diesel heater. Very impressed. Never had one before so didn't know what to expect but so far so good. I've had a few more cool ideas which I want to implement but more on that later when I get my head round it all.

How big is your bike section? Ours is 85cm to the bulkhead and takes the two bike fine

How big is your bike section? Ours is 85cm to the bulkhead and takes the two bike fine

I'll have a measure later. Where are you measuring from so I can take a comparison?

I might be slightly deeper as I'm transporting big enduro ebikes and I want to hang the front wheels off the back wall. I found the biggest issue (and this was the reason for the extension) to be the light clusters. I have to angle the bikes in and to get the swing for the forks to go in the back wheel has to go quite deep into the van.

1603446777155.jpeg
so it measures 92cm to the front of the shelf from the back wall. It’s 85cm from the wall to the frame for the rear doors. At the same height as the shelf, it’s 100cm to the rear doors.
We’re fitted 140mm trail bikes (26”), or 29er hardtail or gravel/road in there fine. Helmets are mounted on the rear doors and the shoes just sit on the shelf in front on the bikes.

View attachment 89009
so it measures 92cm to the front of the shelf from the back wall. It’s 85cm from the wall to the frame for the rear doors. At the same height as the shelf, it’s 100cm to the rear doors.
We’re fitted 140mm trail bikes (26”), or 29er hardtail or gravel/road in there fine. Helmets are mounted on the rear doors and the shoes just sit on the shelf in front on the bikes.

Nice setup. It looks a very similar depth. It'll be interesting to see where I end up in comparison

View attachment 89009

The front of my shelf to the back of the wall will be roughly 900mm when I'm finished so not for off at all. My shelf sits further back than yours so I think we are at the same depth with the wall. Great minds think alike!

More work done on the van this weekend. Mainly sound deadening, fixing the lower panels in and making one of the upper panels.

Vanshades came. They look awesome. I'll fit when the messy work in the back is finished.

UPOL raptor and Altro for the lining of the van is now ordered. Very nearly ready to secure the box in the back and start building the wall.

Untitled.png20201024_142147.jpg20201024_131547.jpg20201025_194855.jpg20201025_194908.jpg

Back