T6 LWB Indium Grey - MTB Camper Build Thread

Roberts

T6 Pro
Long time lurker but I have finally taken the plunge and got myself a T6 LWB from Salop Vans. They were great, very flexible and worked with me on what I wanted. I could not recommend them enough. Van is now a perfect base for what I want. Externally complete and internally very clean ready for a conversion.

All work is planned to be DIY and having never owned a van or done anything on this scale it'll be quite a challenge. The van will be my daily vehicle so first things first is to get the van a nice place to be. Cab upgrades, sound deadening and a complete audio upgrade. More detail in future posts. Pop top will be supplied in the next couple of weeks and I'll be fitting that over a long weekend. Long term plan is a standard camper layout but with a sealed mountain bike garage enough for 2 bikes with front wheels off at the rear. I'm looking forward to the build and I am completely open to all advice and guidance. I am genuinely amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this forum!

20200713_200623.jpgsignal-2020-07-13-211602.jpg

Cheers guys thanks for the nice welcome into the T6 world. I can't wait to get properly stuck in. I'm awaiting most of the gear for the pop top and audio at the minute. I was hoping to kick off this weekend with the audio install (Absolut5 Audio is where I have gone but it looks like COVID is affecting Sub supply). In the mean time I've been doing high level schemes in 2D.

This is my initial plan for where the bikes will be kept. I've test fitted the bike and it seems to work. Red hatched area is the garage, green is an evodesign kitchen/cabinet unit which will need modification to suit the new bulkhead location and blue/purple is a rock'n'roll bed in folded and extended positions. The rock'n'roll bed isn't a necessity as I will have the pop top and will be one of the last items to go in. I haven't seen any campers in this layout so will just see how it goes and what issues I face.

Van Layout.PNG

Big weekend starting today. I'm finishing work and taking the long drive from the midlands down to Stonehenge to pick my audio gear up from Absolut5 Audio. I was going to have it shipped for next week but this weekend will be my only time to get cracking for a few weekends as work may get int the way. Thanks to Absolut5 for the flexibility.

This weekends plan is:
  • Strip out cab (Seats, Dash panels, flooring, trim, anything that could get in the way)
  • Sound deaden cab floor using 2mm silent coat
  • Install the audio package, new Kenwood DMX8019DABS, dash cam, rear view camera, Hertz 2 way component speakers, JL sub and amp etc.
  • Fit Newton Commercial front Moulded carpet
  • Fit Van-X Comfort styling dash pack
  • Have a crack at spraying the dash and trim pieces black. Reading up a lot on how to get the best hard wearing finish I went with Buzzweld PIO. Plan is to wash the trim pieces, clean with cellulose thinners and thouroughly dry before scotchbriting and finally spraying.
  • Put it all back together and hope it fits/works!
A lot of work planned and more than likely won't get all done but at least I have a plan :)

I've ordered the second door seals and dash seal. I'm hoping these are as good as the reviews and cut down on road noise.

Pic heavy update to the weekends activities, Very long weekend installing a lot of gear in a short space of time. Some good bits, some not so good bits and rookie mistakes.

The cab started the weekend looking like this.

20200717_205941.jpg

I collected audio gear from Absolut5 Audio, 280mile round trip and set to work stripping Friday night ready for sound deadening and cable routing. Leisure battery and amp cable ran through the bulkhead, first job once stripped and then sound deadening with 2mm silent coat applied. That and wiring the headunit (Kenwood DMX8019DABS) took pretty much all Saturday.

20200718_124928.jpg

20200718_200451.jpg

Sunday was all about fitting audio and carpet. Apologies not many photo's of the audio install I was too into the build to remember! Carpet was a nightmare to fit and is still not right. I will need to strip the seats out and try and refit. Not the easiest job to do but it looks ok for now. Sound system sounds killer, needs a little fine tuning but the power out of the little JL Audio 500w amp is insane.

20200719_105829.jpg20200719_200955.jpg

Tonight I had time to fit the upper dash parts. I have used Van X comfort dash kit. I really like it and it's turned out really really well. Also over the course of the weekend I sprayed the A pillars in Buzzweld PIO. I didn't hold my hopes out for a great finish as there was hardly any preparation just a wash with soapy water, quick clean with alcohol and rub with scotchbrite but I am very very pleased with the result. I will be doing all my door cards and dash trims with it.

20200720_211215.jpg
20200720_211226.jpg

Jobs left to do are install in the accessories, dash cam, reversing camera, second seals and tidy up a few loose ends here and there including an airbag warning light which I can only think was caused by turning the ignition on without the airbag connectors made.

Let me know what you think :)

Last edited:
I like what you've done so far, looking very smart :thumbsup:
Need to spray or delete the grab handles next

@andys Thanks, it's getting there. Now I know I'm happy with the colour and finish of the spray I'm going to do the grab handles, lower dash pieces and door cards this week.

looks great, might give the buzzweld a go myself as not a fan of the cream door cards, dash trims etc. Also not the most practical for a van that gets used for mountain biking mostly

I'm going to have a look at it too, my sliding door card and all the interior Westfalia trim aft of the B pillar are cream but the cab door cards and lower dash are grey. Quite fancy doing the lower dash and lower door cards cream to match, maybe the top of the door cards and dash black rather than dark grey for contrast. Had a couple of cars in that colour scheme and it works well. Don't know if I fancy going to the trouble of getting the top dash out to spray it though.

@andys I can't comment for the durability of the finish yet but the results look great. I've sprayed all of the lower panels now and tried to get the centre console in yesterday but the carpet is holding me back. I don't think I did a great job of the carpet and it may all have to come out again and refitted. Once it is back in I'll take some photo's so you can see for yourself. FYI I used the standard black colour and did not request anything different.

Also, getting the lower dash out is one thing, I personally would not try and get the upper dash out. It's hard enough getting everything to line up now and half of it still there.

Dash is now in. I had a fight with carpet but luckily it lost. Tidied the carpet up and I'm very happy with results. I think I went a little OTT on the sound deadening and that's why I was struggling around the pedals. Regardless it's in and it's not perfect but it's good enough. I have a new switch coming for the leisure battery audio power so I can make it recess into the dash and make it look OEM. I have also ordered some custom veedub mats with orange trim.

Black lower dash is so much better. Next jobs are door focused. Remove door cards again. Clean and spray them up with the buzzweld. Fit the Van X drivers window switch unit and I've got all the components to do LED ambient lighting. In a few weeks time I'll be starting the camper conversion with the pop top fitting.

I really need a new gear knob, gaiter and steering wheel. They really let the cab down as they are really worn and I've lost the top cap to knob. Any suggestions let me know!

IMG_20200724_210049_478.jpg
20200724_204653.jpg

Small update. I've been pretty on other things recently so not much work on the van done. A lot planning for the next stages mind. I'm pretty much set on a California Bed Setup on sliding rails This will give me the desired bed position and be safe for passengers. Currently looking for used options otherwise I'll have to stump up the cash for new.

Anyway, I completed the audio/ice in the van today by finally getting round to fitting the reversing camera. Went with the kenwood camera to work with the headunit seamlessly. Very easy job and it looks almost OEM imo.
20200809_145831.jpg20200809_134711.jpg20200809_142057.jpg20200809_125902.jpg

Dash is now in. I had a fight with carpet but luckily it lost. Tidied the carpet up and I'm very happy with results. I think I went a little OTT on the sound deadening and that's why I was struggling around the pedals. Regardless it's in and it's not perfect but it's good enough. I have a new switch coming for the leisure battery audio power so I can make it recess into the dash and make it look OEM. I have also ordered some custom veedub mats with orange trim.

Black lower dash is so much better. Next jobs are door focused. Remove door cards again. Clean and spray them up with the buzzweld. Fit the Van X drivers window switch unit and I've got all the components to do LED ambient lighting. In a few weeks time I'll be starting the camper conversion with the pop top fitting.

I really need a new gear knob, gaiter and steering wheel. They really let the cab down as they are really worn and I've lost the top cap to knob. Any suggestions let me know!

View attachment 78998
View attachment 79000

is that Volcano Bay Florida?

Good Spot. I took the photo last year, it makes a great background. Such a good water park.

Loved it there , we went Xmas 2017 and I think it hadn't been open long. Those tappi tappi things save a bit of queueing. Didn't do any of the drops inside the volcano I wimped out lol

Back