R-line steering wheel with paddles and all working with ACC etc on a December 18 T6 Highline

View attachment 96047

View attachment 96048
@BeePee For those who have fitted the Golf R 7 steering wheel, have you managed to get the buttons working, or have you swapped the buttons out? If swapping buttons which buttons did you use, as I'm presuming the original T6 buttons don't fit the Golf R steering wheel? I'd like to fit a Golf R steering wheel, but would like to have red illumination. Is this possible?

@Superowls you steering wheel looks superb, very OEM+ Did you replace the original airbag? My understanding from this thread is the steering wheel needs two metal catches to use the original airbag, but your new wheel has three plastic catches as seen on another version of the wheel.
That's for the comment pal, I'm happy with it

My steering wheel is from a Polo 6c and the original T6 airbag is a different fitment
I bought the Polo wheel complete with airbag to avoid any issues
Works out more expensive but then you can sell your wheel complete with airbag to get the money back
In the end the wheel cost me nothing, I just paid for the re trim

That's for the comment pal, I'm happy with it

My steering wheel is from a Polo 6c and the original T6 airbag is a different fitment
I bought the Polo wheel complete with airbag to avoid any issues
Works out more expensive but then you can sell your wheel complete with airbag to get the money back
In the end the wheel cost me nothing, I just paid for the re trim
So you have red buttons all working?

@BeePee For those who have fitted the Golf R 7 steering wheel, have you managed to get the buttons working, or have you swapped the buttons out? If swapping buttons which buttons did you use, as I'm presuming the original T6 buttons don't fit the Golf R steering wheel? I'd like to fit a Golf R steering wheel, but would like to have red illumination. Is this possible?
I was fed up messing around, sold the GTi wheel and bought a brand new one ready to install straight on from Germany, by the time I sold the original wheel and the other GTi wheel the swap has cost me about £100, result !

I've recently seen a couple of T6.1 steering wheels with the DSG paddles on. Mine hasn't got them! Did any T6.1's come with the paddles from factory or are they a retrofit? If so, wheres best to start looking?

Or more to the point, should mine have come with paddles from factory?

I've recently seen a couple of T6.1 steering wheels with the DSG paddles on. Mine hasn't got them! Did any T6.1's come with the paddles from factory or are they a retrofit? If so, wheres best to start looking?

Or more to the point, should mine have come with paddles from factory?

They are starting to appear, although I can't get. them yet. I don't know of any in this country that comes with it as standard, but I haven't looked at the brochure this week - And that about as often as VW seem to keep adding bits lately.

It used to be the 'Sports steering wheel' on the T6 Caravelle as an option.

I loved paddles on my old T6 TSI, as you really had to use the revs, when I changed back to a diseasel I again added paddles, and never used them, I just find the diesel engine so much better sorted to the Transporter (And Im a massive petrol head, and my old TSi was 300ps)

Use them all the time on the TCR and RS3......Must be a petrol thing

They are starting to appear, although I can't get. them yet. I don't know of any in this country that comes with it as standard, but I haven't looked at the brochure this week - And that about as often as VW seem to keep adding bits lately.

It used to be the 'Sports steering wheel' on the T6 Caravelle as an option.

I loved paddles on my old T6 TSI, as you really had to use the revs, when I changed back to a diseasel I again added paddles, and never used them, I just find the diesel engine so much better sorted to the Transporter (And Im a massive petrol head, and my old TSi was 300ps)

Use them all the time on the TCR and RS3......Must be a petrol thing

If you hear anything, keep us informed. Im really missing paddles in mine. Coming from RS models aswell, I'm so use to using them.

For normal driving its not an issue in the van not having them, but when I approach a roundaboud or slowing for a bend I like to drop it down a gear or 2 manually and just find it cumbersome using the stick.

I have been looking into other steering wheels in the vw range that I could bastardise to make it work, but I really don't want to ruin my OEM wheel! Haha

We have MFSW on our golf and polo and tbh with my thumbs things are all a bit fiddly!
As most of the time there will be two of us travelling in the van I am thinking about just swapping out the plastic Trendline wheel for a flat bottomed leather one.
one here on flea bay
VW T5.1 T6 Transporter Steering Wheel Leather 3 Spoke 2010-2018 Flat Bottom #E4 | eBay
Is it as simple as that or will I encounter any nasty electronic trickery other than the steering wheel airbag.
Thanks in advance

We have MFSW on our golf and polo and tbh with my thumbs things are all a bit fiddly!
As most of the time there will be two of us travelling in the van I am thinking about just swapping out the plastic Trendline wheel for a flat bottomed leather one.
one here on flea bay
VW T5.1 T6 Transporter Steering Wheel Leather 3 Spoke 2010-2018 Flat Bottom #E4 | eBay
Is it as simple as that or will I encounter any nasty electronic trickery other than the steering wheel airbag.
Thanks in advance
If it's from a Transporter it should be a straight swap, Nice and easy :thumbsup:

Back