Snow and ice performance of T6

Anyone else struggling to get this to work ?
150 2wd manual . Have tried a good few times but not working.

Yip. 150 DSG. Traction control just re engages pretty much as soon you move off.
I've seen a post about pulling a fuse to deactivate TC, but yet to try it out.

Last edited:
I'm obviously wrong in that I thought DSG came with the traction control on / off button! Does anybody know what fuse needs to be pulled and whether it affects anything else as well?

Probably the Abs fuse? I'd let someone else confirm first though...

I've just driven my new to me vw transporter t32 up to braemar. To be honest the snow was minimal. But the van couldn't handle it. I'm surprised as I had no probs in my old t26. Basically the skiddy sign lit up on the dashboard and I kept coming to a standstill. Meanwhile cars happily drove past me. What's going on? The van is only a year old. The tyres are practically brand new. Not a happy bear!

I bet you have summer tyres on....

Had the same problem again today trying to get from braemar to aboyne to meet with converter. I don't have a traction control switch, so tried the "5 times on accelerator" method, but that didn't work. I seem to have the continentals. Not impressed with vw for fitting rubbish tyres.
Unfortunately I just bought 4 winter tyres and snowchains for my motorhome, but fell skiing and tore the ligaments in my shoulder three weeks into a three month Euro ski trip. But they don't fit the vw. So motorhome going up for sale pending vw conversion.

It's nothing to do with continental or vw.. they are summer tyres designed for low rolling resistance and low wear.

Totally agree here. Was in Austria this month. Every car, T5/T6, bus and lorry had 3PMSF tyres. Nobody got stuck. Folk just drove as normal. A stiff frost in this country, and we come to a grinding halt because most folk dont run a suitable tyre. The Continentals are a good tyre when used for what they're designed for. But the compound and tread pattern isnt designed for snow. It's a summer van tyre. Continental winter tyres are regarded as some of the best in tests.

PS. Dont confuse M+S with 3PMSF. They are not the same thing.

M+S and 3PMSF tyre markings. How to check whether a tyre is suitable for winter. » Oponeo.co.uk

Totally agree here. Was in Austria this month. Every car, T5/T6, bus and lorry had 3PMSF tyres. Nobody got stuck. Folk just drove as normal. A stiff frost in this country, and we come to a grinding halt because most folk dont run a suitable tyre. The Continentals are a good tyre when used for what they're designed for. But the compound and tread pattern isnt designed for snow. It's a summer van tyre. Continental winter tyres are regarded as some of the best in tests.

PS. Dont confuse M+S with 3PMSF. They are not the same thing.

M+S and 3PMSF tyre markings. How to check whether a tyre is suitable for winter. » Oponeo.co.uk
Good to know thanks @Dieseldonkey. I can confirm that the Goodyear cargo Vector 2 All Seasons do have the Mountain Snowflake symbol for 3PMSF but weirdly the Goodyear website doesn’t even mention it. Hey it’s not like they care about selling tyres or anything!

Well I very nearly got caught in only an inch or so of snow this morning in Sheffield, the tyres in my van are horrendous Avon’s but was on when I bought the van in November, don’t like wet let alone snow... PLUS where the hell is my traction control button on my edition??! Have Vw scrapped it? Had it on my previous T5 /t5.1 and it gives you lots more control in poor conditions, I was nearly left stranded this morning helpless!! Not good....

You should try a MB Vito or Sprinter up there....you can get stuck on a coo shite never mind snaw ! That's even WITH a Traction button.

My 4motion has a TCS button as well as difflock and hill descent :thumbsup: but haven't been up North in winter for a few years now.

I live in the Highlands and swop from Alloys with M&S tyres in the summer to steels and full winter tyres. I got them from Tinternet brand new for £450 all in.
My alloys are white and swopping saves them from the ravages of winter, also remember after the initial outlay you save on tyre wear on both sets.
You cannot beat winter tyres in bad weather, I have driven in snow rain and standing water.

I fitted new Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 215/60 R17 T (109), 8Ply in December supplied by Black Circles but they were not cheap, £261 fitted for 2 tyres.
Might look at the boots @kiter was recommending next time.

Are we talking plain old Cargo Vector here or the 4 Season version? I might be wrong but I thought they were two different tyres with the former only being available in that size.

Are we talking plain old Cargo Vector here or the 4 Season version? I might be wrong but I thought they were two different tyres with the former only being available in that size.
The actual Black Circles invoice is for 2 x Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 215/60 R17 T (109), 8Ply which I think is the second generation 4 Season tyre.
Information on the Goodyear website is not very informative and has no information about the 3PMSF standard but mine do have the correct logo for 3PMSF on the sidewall.
I like the tyres, good grip in general and the handling is OK but hey its no Ferrari especially now the pop top is fitted.
Despite my location I have not had the chance to try this van out on snow but it performed pretty well on icy roads over the last few months.

My banded 19s are running full winter tyres and they are fantastic.
I've run Minerva Frostrack's over 2 winters and been through heavy deep snow, sheet ice and all kinds of awful weather. These things are unstoppable, load rated and less than £90 a tyre. I wouldn't run anything else during the winter months.

This is in the depths of Scotland last year.

View attachment 60388

Oh, and I'm 2wd

Based on your feedback just pushed the button on a set of these for my winters. Bonus is £225 delivered for 4 x 255/45*18

Based on your feedback just pushed the button on a set of these for my winters. Bonus is £225 delivered for 4 x 255/45*18

Several members are running these after my reviews, and all messaged me saying how good they are.
I just wish they did them for my Motorhome because I'm in Austria at the moment and it's hammering it down with snow. Although I'm running Michelin Cross climates on the MH, they they've yet to let me down over here.

The actual Black Circles invoice is for 2 x Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 215/60 R17 T (109), 8Ply which I think is the second generation 4 Season tyre.
Information on the Goodyear website is not very informative and has no information about the 3PMSF standard but mine do have the correct logo for 3PMSF on the sidewall.
I like the tyres, good grip in general and the handling is OK but hey its no Ferrari especially now the pop top is fitted.
Despite my location I have not had the chance to try this van out on snow but it performed pretty well on icy roads over the last few months.

Farnorthsurfer - Now I'm confused (which isn't unusual really). I had a look at the Goodyear website and can see what you mean about it not being very informative. Indeed, despite my earlier post, I'm not even that sure any more that they do a specific cargo tyre marked '4 Season'. One reason that I queried your post was that the tread pattern on the plain old Cargo Vector Gen 2 doesn't really look much like what I would expect to see on a modern 4 season tyre (ie. like the Vector 4 Season car /SUV or Michelin Cross Climates that I have on my Audi). Still, if they have the 3 PMSF marking on them, they must be OK. I'll have to have a chat with my tyre man the next time I'm in town but I'm now beginning to wonder whether I ought to copy you and just stick a couple of good 4 season tyres on the front only - if that allows better grip on wet grass, it would probably worth the outlay.

Any other experience of 4 season tyres or recommendations out there please?

Note: I do NOT mean winter tyres which are fitted as the year progresses. They are really not needed in my neck of the woods and I don't want to open that debate.

Farnorthsurfer - Now I'm confused (which isn't unusual really). I had a look at the Goodyear website and can see what you mean about it not being very informative. Indeed, despite my earlier post, I'm not even that sure any more that they do a specific cargo tyre marked '4 Season'. One reason that I queried your post was that the tread pattern on the plain old Cargo Vector Gen 2 doesn't really look much like what I would expect to see on a modern 4 season tyre (ie. like the Vector 4 Season car /SUV or Michelin Cross Climates that I have on my Audi). Still, if they have the 3 PMSF marking on them, they must be OK. I'll have to have a chat with my tyre man the next time I'm in town but I'm now beginning to wonder whether I ought to copy you and just stick a couple of good 4 season tyres on the front only - if that allows better grip on wet grass, it would probably worth the outlay.

Any other experience of 4 season tyres or recommendations out there please?

Note: I do NOT mean winter tyres which are fitted as the year progresses. They are really not needed in my neck of the woods and I don't want to open that debate.
I really like the 4 Season/All weather tyres as they actually work much better for the conditions we get all year round in Scotland. I have the Michelin ones on a Passat estate and they have been really good.
But I would caution against just getting a pair one one end. I did this on a Ford Tourneo Connect and it spent half the winter trying to swap ends with summer tyres on the back and all seasons on the front. Just my experience :thumbsup:

I have fitted Bridgestone A005 to my van, not used them in anger in snow but on very wet roads in monsoon conditions they have been faultless.
They are 3 peak rated. Look like an F1 wet tyre.

I really like the 4 Season/All weather tyres as they actually work much better for the conditions we get all year round in Scotland. I have the Michelin ones on a Passat estate and they have been really good.
But I would caution against just getting a pair one one end. I did this on a Ford Tourneo Connect and it spent half the winter trying to swap ends with summer tyres on the back and all seasons on the front. Just my experience :thumbsup:
Farnorthsurfer - As I said above, I've got the Michelin Cross Climates on an Audi 4WD and they're great but so they should be at £250 a corner for the Audi 20" wheels that I have!

Good shout on not using 4 seasons on the front only - never thought of that.

Any other views / recommendations appreciated.

Back