Poor AT tyre performance in snow

thanks. I guess I need an all season tyre with a 3 peak symbol that has a chunky look :) like the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, which doesn't come in an 18 sadly
That’s because they are a commercial tyre & 18” isn’t a common commercial size.

Hi
I have the GG AT3 on our van, iv been happy with their performance as a general use tyre.
Our van is a 4motion so that probably helps with grip in the snow.
They are 235 65 17, the fronts are fairly new so plenty of deep tread/ grip..
The tyres are marked up as having 3 peak rating and have the little sips on the tread
Like you, I have read that others have been disappointed with the snow handling, but that’s not something iv noticed, always been able to start, steer and stop so far.
I live in the Lakes too, and have the confidence to drive most places in the snow if the roads aren’t closed, I know the difference between summer tyres and full on winter tyres as we do this swap on the car every winter season, night and day.
The different road conditions of fresh or frozen snow/ icy roads all make a difference, icy roads being the worst we can all agree.559F5A97-09AB-4324-B519-6C0EA1C7A765.jpeg

Last edited:
For info, I checked my GG AT3s and they have the 3PMSF marking. So who knows why they're so bad. I was running them at 45psi all around. Is this going to make any odds?
Ah I thought they were a summer AT tyre…
Hmm, perhaps it WAS just the wear and you’d lost the sipes? Without them the tyre is basically very chunky grip so isn’t going to hold snow (to get snow crystal on snow crystal grip). And assuming you were on roads with fairly compacted snow and ice (rather than deep fluffy stuff)?

thanks for the message. I'll upload a photo when it stops lashing it down!! the roads I struggled on were more compacted snow. they seem ok in deep stuff. maybe swapping front to back would be an idea, if not to just share out wear.

On a side note to this thread I will just put my surprise as to how well the Devanti tyres have been in this cold spell.
Specifically the Devanti Wintoura+ on my Canteras.
In the middle of the cold snap I turned into a reasonably long close in the middle of a housing estate. The snow had been compacted so much it was just a layer of clear ice, about an inch thick. The tyres didn’t even give a hint of losing grip, unlike my boots. When I got out it was like walking on an ice rink. I was very surprised for a budget tyre.

Hi
I have the GG AT3 on our van, iv been happy with their performance as a general use tyre.
Our van is a 4motion so that probably helps with grip in the snow.
They are 235 65 17, the fronts are fairly new so plenty of deep tread/ grip..
The tyres are marked up as having 3 peak rating and have the little sips on the tread
Like you, I have read that others have been disappointed with the snow handling, but that’s not something iv noticed, always been able to start, steer and stop so far.
I live in the Lakes too, and have the confidence to drive most places in the snow if the roads aren’t closed, I know the difference between summer tyres and full on winter tyres as we do this swap on the car every winter season, night and day.
The different road conditions of fresh or frozen snow/ icy roads all make a difference, icy roads being the worst we can all agree.View attachment 226612
what psi do you run at?

what psi do you run at?
Mine are at 45psi also, Van is a camper so has a bit of weight, you could go lower maybe 42?
As said, your not the first person to say they struggled in the snow.
I guess these type of tyre are mainly fitted on pickups, 4WD etc so that really helps keep things moving and makes up for the average performance in winter.

Thanks. I may drop the pressure and switch front to back. Probs replace them sometime with Cross Climates or something and forgo the chunky look for better performance. Sad times!

thanks. I guess I need an all season tyre with a 3 peak symbol that has a chunky look :) like the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate, which doesn't come in an 18 sadly
The Falken Wildpeaks At3's are still chunky and perform brilliantly IMO! Available in 235/55r18 or 255/55r18. The latter being tight without coil overs.

Back