An eventful trip away !

Kevwkevw

Tanker driver
T6 Pro
So I’ve had my van nearly 3 years now and I seem to learn a lesson every time I use it.

On Thursday after work I decided to make the 260 mile trip to Snowdonia.

With the nice weather I decided to walk Snowdon on Saturday. So with that in mind I was up early and set off to a car park. On my way there a strange vibration developed coming from the rear of my van. At first I thought the Mrs badly packed the van but then she convinced me to pull over and check the tyres. All seemed fine and I continued to drive a few mile to a car park.

After completing the walk I returned to a flat tyre. Yes the same corner that was making the noise. So I got my compressor out blew up my tyre. I then got the Mrs to drive slowly forward so I could check for damage or a nail but could see nothing.

So it was getting late and we thought all was sorted so with that in mind we headed to a campsite. After about 10 mile the tyres completely blew out so I pulled over instantly. I was only doing about 20 mph and pulled over instantly.

So for some strange reason I’ve never carried a spare. I’ve always assumed the tyre weld can will get me out of trouble but not this time.

So I rang a local 24hr tyre company in Llanberis and was offered the wrong size tyre 275 45 20 instead of 275 35 20 for a cost of £347 including a £150 call out charge. After telling him I needed 10 minutes to think about it I rang the aa which I’m a member of and got offered the same service or a 8hr recovery ride home.

After many arguments with the Mrs on what to do I checked Facebook market place and found someone selling wheels to fit a t5 1 mile away. Luckily he replied instantly and I had them dropped off for a cost of £60. I’ve no idea what they are off. Possibly a bmw I did have plans to change both my rear axle but after offering them up for size they were luckily the same size give it take 2mm.

So I managed it not to ruin my trip away and made it home safely with a lesson learned to carry a spare.

I’ve also noticed that my wheels are stamped 8.5J and run a 275 tyre. So in the morning I’m off to the local tyre shop to confirm what size tyres I should be running

E361E254-7230-4E23-984B-3F2ECA55EC18.jpeg

91A326F0-BBC0-4A3C-B0C8-739035C714D1.jpeg

65EDC17D-A63C-488A-8A86-005CE4FA1BC3.jpeg

EDC8B810-32AD-4D9E-B5ED-F1602921D26E.jpeg

1C9F5977-4F63-494C-B3BA-2E79F0D118AD.jpeg

If going on a long journey (usually holidays) I always check fluids and tyre pressures, as extra weight often means inflating the tyres to a higher pressure. Not saying you didnt check them as punctures can happen anytime.

I remember a forum member saying that most catastrophic tyre failures were due to running under pressure / severely deflated for a long time and the tyre overheats.

Also, with ultra low profile tyres, with very stiff sidewalls its difficult to spot a problem.

So I’ve been to a local Tyre dealer this morning and he agrees that 275 35 20 tyres are too wide for a 8.5j rim.

I’m going back this evening to try a 245 40 20 and a 255 40 20.

I’ve never been happy with a 35 profile tyre so I’m going to heighten the van and try a bigger profile tyre.

The width and profile are linked - if you reduce the width and increase the profile the rolling radius might end up the same.

I use the willtheyfit website to compare two different tyre sizes to understand the difference.

It would be interesting to know what age the tyre was. Some experts advise that 6 - 7 years is the maximum safe life of a tyre.
And make sure you put a lock on your spare when you get one!

So I’ve been to a local Tyre dealer this morning and he agrees that 275 35 20 tyres are too wide for a 8.5j rim.

I’m going back this evening to try a 245 40 20 and a 255 40 20.

I’ve never been happy with a 35 profile tyre so I’m going to heighten the van and try a bigger profile tyre.
Isn’t a 245/40 roughly the same profile as a 275/35? You’d need to go 245/45 to get a bigger sidewall.

This is my current set up sorry for the bad picture

It’s flips over for access to barn doors

It also lifts on and off in 2 seconds and is lockable

It’s also on wheels

C2C546CD-6A15-4B8E-BF09-6998ACDD33DF.jpeg

996D738D-15C4-4795-BF5C-E6C9376E5D7E.png

It’s the Westfalia BC 60 Towball Mounted Tilting 2 Bicycle Carrier

With

Westfaila transport box. Which Provides an additional 200 litres of storage space

I personally think it’s one of the beater looking setups.

It’s not cheep but the bc60 cycle rack is often on Facebook market place.

My parents have the same Westfalia bike rack and box - used only a couple of times which they no longer have a use for. They'll be selling shortly, but if you'd like to make an offer I'll pass on.

My parents have the same Westfalia bike rack and box - used only a couple of times which they no longer have a use for. They'll be selling shortly, but if you'd like to make an offer I'll pass on.
Hi is this still for sale ? Pls

Back