Winter driving in northern Scandinavia

Tigris

Hi! We have a VW T6 Multivan Highline 2.0 TDI DSG 4 MotWLTP2 from 2019 with 57,000 km. We are based in Hungary and used our Multivan in Central and Western Europe, and also visited northern Scandinavia in summer. Now we are planning a trip to northern Scandinavia (mainly Sweden) next January and I know conditions are very different there due to cold and snow. I made some research and have a few questions. I hope other members can give some advice/coment to those below.

1. As our Multivan is a diesel car I think we need to make sure that the diesel is not freezing in the cold environment (say even below -30 degree). I understand that there is such diesel available at all Swedish petrol stations. Can anyone confirm?
2. I understand that the adblue freezes at -11 degree. However I understand from the T6 Forum that the adblue tank of the Multivan is heated, so when I start the car in very cold conditions, the adblue is automatically heated and can be used. As such I should not worry about the adblue freezing. Can anyone confirm?
3. We have a Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5KW Diesel additional heater in the Multivan. We are using it sometimes when we stop the engine and need heating for about 30-60 minutes, but not for more. Is that going to operate in -30 degree, and can the battery supply it for say 5-6 hours? We have only one battery in the car which has 92Ah. Our Webasto can be set only for 180 minutes, but I assume we can restart it. Can anyone comment on this?
4. Our Webasto is heating the cabin only, and does not heat the engine, so when it is very cold outside, we have to start the cold engine even if we are operating the Webasto heater. However I read on the T6 forum that VW garages can very easily adjust the Webasto (with a simple computer adjustment, as the system is already set up to be able to it) so that it is also heating the engine. Can you give me some information on this? Should we ask for this adjustment from VW? If the engine is also heated how much longer does it take to heat up the cabin? Also is this a problem at all if I start the cold engine in very cold weather (again say below -30 degree) without any preheating? Can anyone comment on this?
Thanks in advance for any advice/comment

Hi, I'm from southern Finland, similar but not as extreme conditions here... hope you get more answers from people having some real arctic experiences

1. As our Multivan is a diesel car I think we need to make sure that the diesel is not freezing in the cold environment (say even below -30 degree). I understand that there is such diesel available at all Swedish petrol stations. Can anyone confirm?
At least in Finland, all stations sell winter quality diesel as standard from about Nov onwards. It's good down to -30 or -35, the temperature is usually marked by the pumps. In northern Finland, select stations sell so called "arctic diesel" which is good down to -50. I presume this is similar in Sweden but worth checking.

2. I understand that the adblue freezes at -11 degree. However I understand from the T6 Forum that the adblue tank of the Multivan is heated, so when I start the car in very cold conditions, the adblue is automatically heated and can be used. As such I should not worry about the adblue freezing. Can anyone confirm?
I believe van turns AdBlue system off entirely when it's cold enough. At least I don't seem to consume much AdBlue in winter, and have not had problems with it in -25 or so.

3. We have a Webasto Thermo Top Evo 5KW Diesel additional heater in the Multivan. We are using it sometimes when we stop the engine and need heating for about 30-60 minutes, but not for more. Is that going to operate in -30 degree, and can the battery supply it for say 5-6 hours? We have only one battery in the car which has 92Ah. Our Webasto can be set only for 180 minutes, but I assume we can restart it. Can anyone comment on this?
I would say this is your biggest problem. Webasto works fine in cold but takes like 4-5 amps when running, more when starting. On top of that, cabin fan is hungry. So, the battery might suffice if it's in a very good condition but probably there will not be enough remaining to start the engine. Remember only about 1/2 of battery amps are usable in the first place and cold makes everything eat more power. So, IMHO this will not work as a single battery system, and 5-6 hours sounds risky even in dual battery setup due to the cabin fan. If at all possible, try to hook up the van into good EHU/charger, say 10-15A one when running Webasto for a long time, basically battery maintenance is number one priority in cold.

4. Our Webasto is heating the cabin only, and does not heat the engine, so when it is very cold outside, we have to start the cold engine even if we are operating the Webasto heater. However I read on the T6 forum that VW garages can very easily adjust the Webasto (with a simple computer adjustment, as the system is already set up to be able to it) so that it is also heating the engine. Can you give me some information on this? Should we ask for this adjustment from VW? If the engine is also heated how much longer does it take to heat up the cabin? Also is this a problem at all if I start the cold engine in very cold weather (again say below -30 degree) without any preheating? Can anyone comment on this?
If you know someone with VCDS or OBDeleven they should be able to do it, otherwise visit an indie. VW can do it too but they charge a lot. When set to heat up engine webasto will from the startup warm the small water circulation through the engine block until 40deg water temperature is reached. After that it switches to larger circulation through heat exchanger and turns on the fan to heat the cabin.

From a personal experience, running webasto for 1/2 hour is enough to warm up engine for easy start and melt *thin* layer of ice in cabin windows down to maybe -15, cabin temp at perhaps 10 deg or so at that point. That is, enough to get van running and leave semi-comfortably. Can't comment on <-30, it only goes to -25 here in southern Finland and then I run Webasto for 45-60 minutes and still have to occasionally clean the ice manually from windows. I've had to leave without preheating sometimes and have not had problems, however starting then takes considerably more power and battery has to be in good shape to endure. During winter, I often hook up the van to charger every night even if there's no specific need for it - it just adds to the confidence that it will actually start up in the morning.

Also, you will need proper winter tyres!

Last edited:
This is really useful! Thank you!
I am happy for the adblue, as I was a bit concerned for that. Thanks for reminding me that battery is key. I will have it checked before leaving. If necessary I will have it replaced. We also have a charger so will charge it when we can. Regarding Webasto, if the car can start with no problem in very cold conditions, I do not want to change the set up for warming the engine as it only drains the battery and is not needed when coming back.
We are planning to rent or buy and then sell a set of studded tyres. However we have never used one on our car. I guess we need the same size studded tyres as our winter tyres, so it can nicely fit on the metal rim. Is that right? Thanks again for your help

However we have never used one on our car. I guess we need the same size studded tyres as our winter tyres, so it can nicely fit on the metal rim

Same size should be a safe bet of course.

If your current tyres are standard size according to the sticker on the door pillar, you can usually go 1 step up or down in width without problems.

Protip: if you fill up your tyres in significantly higher temperature than where you’re going to, overfill them by 3-4psi or so. When temperature drops, so does the pressure.

Back