T6.1 Front assist just activated when there was no traffic or parked cars near to us.

BRABUS

VIP Member
T6 Pro
As the title says, the front assist on our 4 month old T6.1 Shuttle just activated when there was no traffic or parked cars near to us. The icon on the display in front of the driver lit up in white and the brakes banged on.

I have checked the manual and it says that it will display as a red icon (this was most certainly white, my wife saw it as well). the manual says that the sensor could be covered in snow, I checked and there is clearly no snow anywhere near my car today as it’s currently 23°C. I have checked the sensor for debris and there were a couple of very small flies on it.

The only other thing that has happened is that it is an adapted vehicle with a push button on the dash for the handbrake as my wife is disabled. back on 11th August the handbrake failed in the on position. the RAC attended and managed to back the handbrake off and we used it for over a week with no issues at all. in fact we towed a caravan with it several hundred miles in that time. Today, an “engineer” attended from the conversion company to look at it and see if it needs any parts to fix it. He was under the van for about half an hour with his spanner’s and told us that it needed a new motor to fix it properly but he had backed the handbrake off as he thought it was binding on the passenger side rear.

After he left, we took it for a drive, approx 4 miles, during which I was moaning about some young lads in car in front of us saying it smelt very odd. Much to my embarrassmenot when I stopped and got out I could then tell it was, you guessed it, the right rear brake that stank and the wheel was actually almost too hot to touch. I let it cool down and limped the car home carefully. While doing 20mph this is when the front assist lit up white and banged the brakes on.

Has anybody got any clues please? We are now going to be left without this vehicle for potentially weeks, not only Is this going to ruin the rest of this weeks holiday for my wife nd I but it means she won’t be able to get to work next week.

Sorry for the long post.

A bird or a crisp packet can do this, nothing to worry about.

Id be more worried about the smelly brake

i know what is causing the smelly brake, it is the actions of their “engineer”. I had to use quotes around that word and also change the word from what I originally typed LOL.

Mine has activated on its own a few times on clear roads.. sometimes it say unavailable and other times who knows what is going on as it does and says nowt.
Mind I s__t myself first time it went off thought engine had exploded phew.

A bird or a crisp packet can do this, nothing to worry about.

thanks for the speedy reply, that has reassured me. We will put it down to a crisp packet than and it just being a badly timed coincidence.

I've posted similar before, but this is what happens when manufacturers get into an arms race to introduce technology into vehicles, regardless of the need.
It will cause more accidents than it prevents, but never mind, the public love technology and the price can be jacked up!

Well the RAC have just been out and confirmed that the “engineer“ had adjusted the handbrake incorrectly. there was less that 1mm between the off position and the fully on. now you see why I use the term “engineer” in the way I do LOL

thank you all again for your speedy replies, glad it was us doing nothing wrong and it’s one of those darn “crisp packet birds:slow rofl::slow rofl:

I've posted similar before, but this is what happens when manufacturers get into an arms race to introduce technology into vehicles, regardless of the need.
It will cause more accidents than it prevents, but never mind, the public love technology and the price can be jacked up!
I do agree with you in about unnecessary technology in principle, but after having been a passenger in a vehicle where a front assist/collision mitigation system activated and turned what would have been a nasty accident in to an alarming but harmless event, I'd say the few false activations are a small price to pay. It's also worth saying that the system in my van has been faultless in 3.5 years and 54000 miles.

My 2019 Skoda Karoq, and 2021 VW Golf Mk8 both did/do this.

Don‘t get me started on how bad the Mk8 Golf software was when it was launched.

Pete

My wife’s Toyota Camry does the same on occasions. Very disturbing when it does. It seems to happen going round a right hand sweeping curve when there are cars parked on the edge of the road. Why it doesn’t happen each time who knows.

Mine did it multiple times on one particular speed bump in Dorridge - I drove over it a number of times to check - it was reproducible, sounds and feels like the van is skidding on a cheese grater covered in gravel - most disconcerting. Strangely it was coming down the other side of the bump where it triggered.

... I guess the sensors on the front just suddenly pick up a reflection from something on the road and slam on the brakes.

I have got and had driven other cars outside the Vag group. They all seem to have little issues. They activate when not required and often don’t when required. We are still at early stage for this tech device? In a few years they ll be much better. I remember when at some point aircon was available to cheap cars. Most of the time never cooled down the temperature. Now you buy a cheap Chinese 3 wheeler and aircon is Polar cold.

Can I just ask is this "turn off and onable"?
On my T6 T32 4 Motion I regularly see the symbol on the dash, stating that I am too close to the car in front but the brakes have never come on.
Is this because I have never driven up to anything close enough?

I do agree with you in about unnecessary technology in principle, but after having been a passenger in a vehicle where a front assist/collision mitigation system activated and turned what would have been a nasty accident in to an alarming but harmless event, I'd say the few false activations are a small price to pay. It's also worth saying that the system in my van has been faultless in 3.5 years and 54000 miles.
Perhaps VW could concentrate on side windows that don't leak before getting ahead of themselves.

Can I just ask is this "turn off and onable"?
On my T6 T32 4 Motion I regularly see the symbol on the dash, stating that I am too close to the car in front but the brakes have never come on.
Is this because I have never driven up to anything close enough?
you can disable front assist in the MFD

Hi all
My brothers brand new sportline. Front sensors are going crazy. Emergency braked a couple of times on a round about. He’s sent it back. They still haven’t resolved the issue. Anyone else had similar problems? He ain’t happy

Just turn the automatic front parking sensors off in the menu.

With it on they are active all the time (hence beep9ng at cars in front in traffic and picking up other things within range), turn it off and they are only on when you select reverse for parking, or when you hit the front sensor button.

Back