Snow and ice performance of T6

Hi I have driven 1000s of miles to and froe French ski resorts on Devonports M&S tyres and to be honest I drive the French motorways while snowing without a problem and feels very shore footed.
I've only had to put chains on when climbing the mountain to the resort and that's only after getting halfway to the top.
That all said If I had a set of winter tyres I could go even faster :):):):):):):)

Turn the traction control off!! It helps keep you straight but robs all the momentum/forward motion!!

Doubt you'll get winter tyres overnight but that might help you get to where your going :thumbsup:

I just back from France in my previous boxer based motorhome. I believe it is now illegal to drive in france/ austria during winter without proper winter tyres ie snowflake marked.

I've just been through all this because I'm going to Austria on Friday in my motorhome.
All vehicles must either have full winter tyres or M&S rated (mud and snow) its also compulsory to carry snow chains throughout Austria during the winter months.

I've just been through all this because I'm going to Austria on Friday in my motorhome.
All vehicles must either have full winter tyres or M&S rated (mud and snow) its also compulsory to carry snow chains throughout Austria during the winter months.
I think that’s true for Austria and Germany but I don’t think it applies to France.

I think they just introduced compulsory winter tyres in France this winter. I was reading earlier about the traction control switch...I will have a look in the morning and see if I have one

I’ve got the Continentals on my van at the moment and will be tackling some snow in the French Alps this weekend, I’ve got chains in case things do get bad. I’ve also got some steel wheels with All Season tyres, is it worth putting them on?

I ask because All Season are not proper winter tyres so is there any point? If it does get bad it’s fairly quick to put the chains on.

You’ll be breaking the law on non winter tyres in some areas.

If you are running light on the T32 that is half the problem. As said, the other half is the tyres.

I think they just introduced compulsory winter tyres in France this winter. I was reading earlier about the traction control switch...I will have a look in the morning and see if I have one
The traction control switch is not fitted to all vans. Might just be 4Motion, someone will correct that if I am wrong.
The good news is it looks like you can retrofit it.
Traction Control
Info on that in the linked thread

In Austria I believe it’s not actually a legal requirement to carry chains but it is to fit them when required to do so. Therefore you have to carry them, basically it’s illegal to get stuck! And it’s a legal requirement to have tyres in the winter with M+S snowflake/mountain symbol which many all season tyres do carry

Even if your van doesn’t have a traction control button, there is a way to turn it off for short periods which involves turning the ignition on, turning the hazards warning lights on, pressing the throttle to the floor 5 times at which point the dash will tell you esp is disabled and you can then start the van.
It will only work as long as you have the hazards on, not sure about maximum speed.

Even if your van doesn’t have a traction control button, there is a way to turn it off for short periods which involves turning the ignition on, turning the hazards warning lights on, pressing the throttle to the floor 5 times at which point the dash will tell you esp is disabled and you can then start the van.
It will only work as long as you have the hazards on, not sure about maximum speed.

Anyone else struggling to get this to work ?
150 2wd manual . Have tried a good few times but not working.

Turn the traction control off!! It helps keep you straight but robs all the momentum/forward motion!!
Doubt you'll get winter tyres overnight but that might help you get to where your going:thumbsup:
That one's been done to death - not all of us have the luxury of turning it off. I've never driven my camper in snow but if it's performance in mud is anything to go by, I wouldn't even get off my drive!
Anyone else struggling to get this to work ?
150 2wd manual . Have tried a good few times but not working.

I've got it to work whilst sitting stationary but as soon as you move or touch the steering wheel, it seems to default!

I agree that all season tyres would probably help but I dislike the idea of binning an almost new set of original VW issue Contis just to buy a brand new set of all seasons (that's from both a budgetary and eco viewpoint). It's just another example of what a miserly steaming pile of crap VW are turning into.

I live in Central Scotland too. My work carries me all over the Highlands. I've found transporters to be very capable in the snow, but have always run winter tyres on the 2wd's and all season on the 4motions. My last 4motion came with continentals from the factory, horrible tyre, It was my first experience of them and the last I took them off and sold them after a few thousand miles. Goodyear Cargo Vectors all season are a truly excellent tyre in all conditions. I need to add I've no experience of a lightly loaded van, mine always have lots of weight in them (t32's).
Put some proper tyres on, it will transform your van.

I might be wrong but those Goodyear Vector 4 Season Cargos only seem to come in 16".

I might be wrong but those Goodyear Vector 4 Season Cargos only seem to come in 16".
I fitted new Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 215/60 R17 T (109), 8Ply in December supplied by Black Circles but they were not cheap, £261 fitted for 2 tyres.
Might look at the boots @kiter was recommending next time.

If you are running light on the T32 that is half the problem. As said, the other half is the tyres.

On a front wheel drive van I'd question the effectiveness of carrying more weight in the back, which will be carried by undriven wheels. Older people will recall the days when most road cars and vans were rear wheel drive and in the winter it was common to chuck a bag of cement in the boot to increase traction on snow and ice. It might well be effective in a 4motion T6 but it would make matters worse on a 2wd, especially when going uphill.
Tyre choice is the most important factor in snow, mud or ice.

I’ve got the Continentals on my van at the moment and will be tackling some snow in the French Alps this weekend, I’ve got chains in case things do get bad. I’ve also got some steel wheels with All Season tyres, is it worth putting them on?

I ask because All Season are not proper winter tyres so is there any point? If it does get bad it’s fairly quick to put the chains on.
I'd rather have the all season and chains for that trip. I couldn't get up a small hill outside my house with the continentals on, I've never had that problem since with all seasons.

That one's been done to death - not all of us have the luxury of turning it off. I've never driven my camper in snow but if it's performance in mud is anything to go by, I wouldn't even get off my drive!

I've got it to work whilst sitting stationary but as soon as you move or touch the steering wheel, it seems to default!

I agree that all season tyres would probably help but I dislike the idea of binning an almost new set of original VW issue Contis just to buy a brand new set of all seasons (that's from both a budgetary and eco viewpoint). It's just another example of what a miserly steaming pile of crap VW are turning into.
Sell them on I got £50 a tyre for nearly new continentals

Back