Van is usually parked on an incline so have only sufferred the very occasional leaky windows when we’re out and parked up level.

Been meaning to clean up the seals and treat with some auto glym rubber and vinyl to see if it helps. As there were signs of leakage this morning while parked on the drive I’ve just cleaned/ treated the seals. I found a small art paintbrush (4 or 5mm dia) was ideal for applying the rubber & vinyl to the seal on 3 sides and little finger on the ‘masked’ side.

When doing this I noticed the latch mechanism caps were bulging off and dont seem to want to clip back on! Is there a technique or are they fubr’d? Here are a couple of pics…

36105452-5EB7-4791-A9B2-3998945409E1.jpegB58C1394-3E49-44CE-BA04-A946181C7A31.jpeg

Van is usually parked on an incline so have only sufferred the very occasional leaky windows when we’re out and parked up level.

Been meaning to clean up the seals and treat with some auto glym rubber and vinyl to see if it helps. As there were signs of leakage this morning while parked on the drive I’ve just cleaned/ treated the seals. I found a small art paintbrush (4 or 5mm dia) was ideal for applying the rubber & vinyl to the seal on 3 sides and little finger on the ‘masked’ side.

When doing this I noticed the latch mechanism caps were bulging off and dont seem to want to clip back on! Is there a technique or are they fubr’d? Here are a couple of pics…

View attachment 139208View attachment 139209
I‘ve noticed the same before, it’s because the coil springs are not central caused by the dislodged spring seat.
I rotated the springs until they seated the best I could get them and made some very small plastic wedges to jam the seat in place.
I was going to make some simple plastic inserts to keep the spring central on the shaft but turning the springs and fitting the wedges seems to work, at least in the short term. All in all it’s a terrible design, hard to believe that the designer didn’t fall on their own sword.

First photo show top with seat dislodged and spring not central.
BD44448D-5136-4769-8062-2598B9CB6711.jpeg

Second photo shows bottom with wedge in place and spring centralised as best possible.
29FA4EB7-6E84-4039-8759-D57C1D116709.jpeg

Have VW eventually produced a better version of the sliding windows, I think there may be a completely new version fitted from October 2021.

@Pauly can you find anything out about part number(s) 7LA 847 711 / 7LA 847 711A / 7LA 847 712A etc. ?

Have VW eventually produced a better version of the sliding windows, I think there may be a completely new version fitted from October 2021.

@Pauly can you find anything out about part number(s) 7LA 847 711 / 7LA 847 711A / 7LA 847 712A etc. ?
T6.1s have had a different window in. Is this another restyle since then?

T6.1s have had a different window in. Is this another restyle since then?
Part number change is from 21/10/2019, is that the T6.1 change sorry I got the date wrong above?
If that's so do these leak just like the older version?
And if not are they interchangeable into the older body shape and match the colours etc?

Yes that’s the T6.1 change.
yes they are interchangeable.
yes they still leak.
I have the obligatory OEM sliding window leak. I’ve been poking about trying to find why it’s started leaking after 3 years being leak free. I’ve always kept the drains clear (shouldn’t actually need a drain, as these only drain away the water that gets past the seal) the seal that fits into the sliding part of the window has become flat & compressed. It fits into a rebate in the slider & is easily removed/replaced. I’ve looked at suppliers of double glazing window seal & can find some similar seals, but not quite the right one. Does anyone know if the OEM seal is available as a standalone part?

I‘ve noticed the same before, it’s because the coil springs are not central caused by the dislodged spring seat.
I rotated the springs until they seated the best I could get them and made some very small plastic wedges to jam the seat in place.
I was going to make some simple plastic inserts to keep the spring central on the shaft but turning the springs and fitting the wedges seems to work, at least in the short term. All in all it’s a terrible design, hard to believe that the designer didn’t fall on their own sword.

First photo show top with seat dislodged and spring not central.
View attachment 139215

Second photo shows bottom with wedge in place and spring centralised as best possible.
View attachment 139216
Do the caps just lever off with a trim tool?

Do the caps just lever off with a trim tool?
Yes, easily, from what I remember work from the middle.
There is probably a better way to hold the bracket in place but I was in a hurry and wanted to keep it removable so I could strip down the window.

My offside slider started leaking every time it rained, early T6 euro 5, never really open it but did when camping earlier this year.
Did all the usual things but still leaked every time. In the end I took the sliding glass out and found that the plastic part that is bonded to it has metal running through it which had rusted, therefore expanded which in turn had stopped the seal from resting against the glass at the top.
So I trimmed the plastic back and sealed the plastic/metal part with silicon. This fixed it, but not sure how long it’ll last, I’m sure in the end I’ll need a new sliding glass.

I have posted a warning on the T6 General chat section about the leaking windows . The visible water on the inside of the van although a major irritant is not THE major problem . What you can't see is the corrosion to the back of the bottom slider rail that is hidden . The outcome of this is that tha slider rail 'drops' and the the slider window falls out completely . This has just happened on my 2016 T6 Kombi nearly decapitating my wife who was luckily in the centre back seat . You can read the full details and pictures on the other thread . We will be looking at our legal rights and position over this .

New one for you.

2022 T6.1 Kombi, the sliding windows don't leak ( yet) but they don't close properly and in the spring loaded fastening on one side isn't engaged at all. It's booked in for a service next week and VW will have a look , but yet another woe in the sliding window saga.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I took my 18 plate back to the showroom last week. Got it earlier in the year and managed to get a extended warranty free (win) however now its pissing in water from one side and was told that the warranty doesn’t cover glass, seals, bodywork (lose). The girl who came out and had a look told me to lube up the seals with Vasoline and admitted that she was seen leaks inside 18 months. She also told me that they tend to leak more if parked on a hill or slope!! I’m sure mine is leaking through the seals then running down between the glass and the plastic running track so I’m getting the silicone gun as soon as we get a dry couple of days and will be lubing all around the seals.

I took my 18 plate back to the showroom last week. Got it earlier in the year and managed to get a extended warranty free (win) however now its pissing in water from one side and was told that the warranty doesn’t cover glass, seals, bodywork (lose). The girl who came out and had a look told me to lube up the seals with Vasoline and admitted that she was seen leaks inside 18 months. She also told me that they tend to leak more if parked on a hill or slope!! I’m sure mine is leaking through the seals then running down between the glass and the plastic running track so I’m getting the silicone gun as soon as we get a dry couple of days and will be lubing all around the seals.
Mine is going back for 2 new windows at the end of the month. My dealer has said VW do not have it listed as a common fault
I know the new windows will leak as well after a few months but I just want them to keep fixing it while it’s under warranty. This will be the 4th time it’s been in for leaky windows in the last 2 years.

Don’t use vaseline or petroleum products on EPDM rubber, it will perish the rubber. Silicone grease is best.

I posted earlier in the thread (I think) having used Autoglym vinyl and rubber to good effect. It also sealed the windows pretty well :speechless: . Cleaning the grit / detritus off the rubbers first is worthwhile too.

Our drive slopes and my van is always parked nose down and rarely had a problem. Parked level seemed to leak more prior to applying the AG.

Back