I've got a 2016 Highline with original kombi windows. Just been on phone to VW and local dealer. Will be having my 4th set of windows and still no fix. Even though they say they've been modified.

I've got a 2016 Highline with original kombi windows. Just been on phone to VW and local dealer. Will be having my 4th set of windows and still no fix. Even though they say they've been modified.
My 2016 T6 has both side slider windows leaking though just noticed it at start of May. Heard from VW Customer Services there's nothing they can do and that I have to fix or replace myself since van well out of warranty. What amazes me is that these windows continue to be used despite VW knowing there's a problem. From speaking to VW I get the impression they are relying on folk getting so frustrated with them we will go and sort the problem out ourselves despite it not being one of our making ... and that's exactly what seems to happen. These vans should have been recalled. Been driving 40 years and driving VW for 35 and have never had to replace windows and it would never occur to me that I might. There are lots of vans driving around much older than 5 years with their original windows in. Very disappointed in VW tbh.

We've decided to bite the bullet and once I have a buyer for my spare kidney, the van will have the sliding windows removed and replaced on both sides with genuine VW fixed glass suitably tinted to match the existing "limo" tint on the other rear windows. This isn't cheap! Reflecting on this, I know we went with the Kombi as a base-vehicle for good reasons involving spec etc, but had we known of the issues about the sliders I rather suspect we'd certainly opted not to have them. We're changing the glass as a long-term insurance policy as while access to the door side is easy enough to fettle and faff around, the furniture on the drivers side inhibits access to the point where it's very difficult.

On talking to the converters they mentioned a van they did recently where water ingress had done considerable damage to the furniture, and the diesel heater as well as the floor. In fairness, it seems the window hadn't been properly closed and this was over a period of time. However, as we're planning on keeping the wagon for many years, having a potential problem lurking unseen isn't a great thought. I'll certainly note this to anyone asking about a base van to convert, and who is considering VW sliders. (Is it possible to order a Kombi with fixed glass????)

All the local fitters I spoke to sucked their teeth and didn't really want the job, largely owing to the access issue on the drivers side. They also hummed and hawed about matching the glass / tint / whatever. So it's easier to go back to the people who did the conversion, who have experience of this job as well. I believe the drivers side may have to be broken to get it out - but the passenger side might come out intact. Has it any value to anyone?

My 2016 T6 has both side slider windows leaking though just noticed it at start of May. Heard from VW Customer Services there's nothing they can do and that I have to fix or replace myself since van well out of warranty. What amazes me is that these windows continue to be used despite VW knowing there's a problem. From speaking to VW I get the impression they are relying on folk getting so frustrated with them we will go and sort the problem out ourselves despite it not being one of our making ... and that's exactly what seems to happen. These vans should have been recalled. Been driving 40 years and driving VW for 35 and have never had to replace windows and it would never occur to me that I might. There are lots of vans driving around much older than 5 years with their original windows in. Very disappointed in VW tbh.
Totally agree, I kicked up a fuss on each occasion and this time round I made an official complaint as I raised the issue I'm December 2020 and when the van went in to the dealer they couldn't find a fault despite me having video and photo evidence. To make things worse, my dealer wanted a £90 diagnosis fee. I said it wasn't fair and really stick to my guns and complained. I've told them that they haven't resolved the issues and the problem is well documented on forums.

We've decided to bite the bullet and once I have a buyer for my spare kidney, the van will have the sliding windows removed and replaced on both sides with genuine VW fixed glass suitably tinted to match the existing "limo" tint on the other rear windows. This isn't cheap! Reflecting on this, I know we went with the Kombi as a base-vehicle for good reasons involving spec etc, but had we known of the issues about the sliders I rather suspect we'd certainly opted not to have them. We're changing the glass as a long-term insurance policy as while access to the door side is easy enough to fettle and faff around, the furniture on the drivers side inhibits access to the point where it's very difficult.

On talking to the converters they mentioned a van they did recently where water ingress had done considerable damage to the furniture, and the diesel heater as well as the floor. In fairness, it seems the window hadn't been properly closed and this was over a period of time. However, as we're planning on keeping the wagon for many years, having a potential problem lurking unseen isn't a great thought. I'll certainly note this to anyone asking about a base van to convert, and who is considering VW sliders. (Is it possible to order a Kombi with fixed glass????)

All the local fitters I spoke to sucked their teeth and didn't really want the job, largely owing to the access issue on the drivers side. They also hummed and hawed about matching the glass / tint / whatever. So it's easier to go back to the people who did the conversion, who have experience of this job as well. I believe the drivers side may have to be broken to get it out - but the passenger side might come out intact. Has it any value to anyone?
Hi Mike,

I would personally use aftermarket windows rather than tint film the OEM ones as the tint will be easily damaged. Also aftermarket opening windows wont leak, although they are recessed in, I know some people hate this look. You can get aftermarket flush windows from shipacar I believe but we have not used these so can’t comment.

Cheers

Many thanks - appreciated. We had the existing Kombi glass limo tinted at conversion, and it's been fine, hopefully this fix will be good too. Whatever was done to all the other glass (rear door / dummy glass on driverside / window on passenger rear) has certainly been fine, again all spec'd during conversion. I agree re the recessed look - dire! And yes, I'd heard about the after-market flush ones but no one could guarantee an exact match and as we're in Scotland, "popping in" on spec to see just isn't practical.

Well, only time will tell but for now I have stopped my sliding window leaking.

No not by cleaning all the seals etc. but actually stopped the water from coming into the inside from the drain hole!

This is how bad it leaked in, and no it isn't blood, just water coloured red to show up.

I have filled around the offending plastic part in the underside of the lower window slide with Dum-Dum. It's a messy job and care is needed not to get the Dum-Dum on any upholstery etc.

IMG_20210529_154850@20%.jpg

Unfortunately for newcomers to the car restoration world Dum-Dum is no longer available but this may suffice instead - Woolies Trim - Body Caulking - 10 strips.

I'll let you know in good time if it has completely cured the problem but initially the leak is fixed, all the water from the drain hole now pours outside down the side of the vehicle.

Hi all

Not sure if this is a fault but guess should sort sooner rather than later if it is - washing the van today I had water ingress to both side sliding windows but when I was spraying water from the hose straight at them - the question is is that expected or a fault

cheers

I guess my question is is this something to take back to Vw or just accept
If you use the search function there is lots of information on this forum about leaky windows.
Thread merged with one such existing thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies probably should have searched first :) typically about to git the end of the guarantee its only happened twice once 3 months ago again when washing the van and now this time I suspect its only when the hose is directly pointing at the window and I just want entirely sure if really these windows should be watertight if you do that -- in which caseI'll have to try and get it in before my time runs out on warranty (literally in the next few days !)

Cant believe it, heard plenty about T5 windows leaking and just assumed they would have fixed it by now but apparently not.
Over the last week every time it rains i have a nice trickle of water running from the front lower corner of my OSR slider down to a nice wet patch on the floor, thats to now one in the back and one below the driver door in the footwell

Vans booked in monday for a warranty/service so will see how it goes

Finally got the plastic flap sealed, tested good.
Drain water flow is significantly improved with a light smear of washing up liquid on the drain grooves, it breaks the surface tension.

We've had the van in torrential rain recently, and also power washed it. No leaks whatsoever from our windows.. Because we had the useless VW sliders replaced with genuine VW one-piece glass!
I understand it may be possible to spec this when ordering a new van, instead of the OE sliders.
My advice is to spec it if possible!

Finally had my sliding windows replaced today on my T6.1...time will only tell if it's worked. The van is just over a year old and they've leaked since day one.
For once I can't wait fo fit to rain!
If they're fixed then I can finally go ahead and get the interior converted - fingers crossed :/

Hi All, here is another example of the effects of the OEM leaky window saga. Shame VW vcan resolve this problem. We've seen leaking windows on vans with less than 100 miles on the clock. :oops:
These Sportline leather door panels are for the bin now unfortunately....

20211020_172537.jpg
20211020_172549.jpg

2020 T6.1 with one leaking side window and one which is fine. The leaking one has been fixed by VW once (something was broken apparently), it worked for a few weeks then started leaking again. It’s back in again in a few weeks for some expanding sealant which VW want to try. I’ll update on how it goes.

Back