Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

I wonder why they changed from the original camlock (mine was one of the first batch of Aurora's to be produced) the early design overlapped the locking bar so much more than the subsequent (two) different versions and the camlock finger is straight on mine while the later ones are both bent to different degrees.
I don't think they changed it, mine looks nothing like that either. The image I referenced (which was from previous post #41 by runDSH) looks like it was bent to fit???

I will take a picture when i next get the roof up. If i recall, mine is long and flat latch like yours @Grim Reaper on post #8. I might have the shorter ones that are pre-installed on the camlock as well to compare side by side if i can find them or if i've not binned them!

I am afraid that I must join the My Aurora popped up on the motorway club. In fact I am also a member for a dual carriageway as well. Each time was approaching 70 mph and luckily on the motorway it was just as I approached an off slip and on the dual carriageway it was just before a large lay-by.
The first time I accepted that there was a possibility that it could have been user error so carried out a repair myself by fitting stainless steel bolts to replace the original equipment alloy bolts fitted by the installer which bent. I also straightened the cam. On the second occasion the first thing that I checked was whether both cams were in the straight ahead locking mode, which they were but one was bent again. I assumed that wind pressure had caused the roof to start lifting and had bent the cam and as soon as it let go from the locking plate the whole roof twisted enough to release the other which allowed the roof to pop.

Simon, the owner/manager of my installer was on holiday so I phoned Skyline and explained that I wished to speak to someone about the issue by way of providing feedback and requested that they send me a couple of replacement cams so that I could fit them in order to take the van back to the installer when Simon had returned. I was told that I would have to prepare and send a warranty claim so I wrote a long email explaining all the aspects. That was 10 days ago and to date I have had no reply.

So I purchased a ratchet strap to hold down the roof and took the van to the installers (Camperworx of Newton Abbot in Devon) a few days ago. They inspected the whole roof and confirmed that no damage had been done and fitted two new cams. I have every confidence in what they did and was impressed by the thoroughness of their inspection. In fact they did a fair amount of work towards my conversion and have been absolutely faultless throughout.

I am afraid that I can't say the same about Skyline. My email to them was not a rant and I was only asking for replacement cams and to discuss the issue to provide them with feedback about their product. The fact that I haven't even received an acknowledgement of my email is particularly poor.

Hopefully the new cams will be strong enough this time although I do think that the design of them could be improved to prevent them bending. I am about to depart on a 2000 mile trip for a holiday so I do hope that I am right in having faith in replacement parts however the ratchet strap will come with me just in case.

Mine opens but only on the right side. Not user error, totally fastened down so the roof is pulled tight. It happened on motorway. Luckily I heard it so pulled over immediately. I have now have to put a ratchet strap around the handle of the poptop to the handle at drivers side where you get in the cab. Coming back from Scotland at weekend it was terrible. Perhaps every 4 mins it would pop off the catch. I’ve really lost confidence in it. Definitely not user error., I pull the roof down from outside and feel the cam pulling it tight to roof. It’s also strange that is didn’t happen from the beginning when first fitted.It’s like the roof has moved back? I’m now trying to get a thicker bar cut and put inplace on the roof. No way would I now drive without my botch of the ratchet straps in place. Fuming after near 4K for the lwb version.

Last edited:
Entirely possible the roof moves relative to the van. My Reimo tended to move forwards as the hinges slide on their bolts. Again this Skyline design relies on a few little bolts not allowing any movement, and if it shifts by 10mm the result is catastrophic.

Reactions: DXX
Just wanted to post hear as I popped into skyline hq today to have a insolation inspected which was done by CJL as it was starting to creak a bit and they were great they identified the the insolation wasn't done correctly and it was unsafe and incised that they correct all the faults and two hours later I drove away with a safe pop top and they done all this work free of charge so if you are in there area and have any concerns I recommend popping into see them I did ring first just to check it was ok I might have just been lucky but feel alot safer now
Cheers paint

DSC_2076.JPG

DSC_2071.JPG

DSC_2074.JPG

DSC_2069.JPG

Mine opens but only on the right side. Not user error, totally fastened down so the roof is pulled tight. It happened on motorway. Luckily I heard it so pulled over immediately. I have now have to put a ratchet strap around the handle of the poptop to the handle at drivers side where you get in the cab. Coming back from Scotland at weekend it was terrible. Perhaps every 4 mins it would pop off the catch. I’ve really lost confidence in it. Definitely not user error., I pull the roof down from outside and feel the cam pulling it tight to roof. It’s also strange that is didn’t happen from the beginning when first fitted.It’s like the roof has moved back? I’m now trying to get a thicker bar cut and put inplace on the roof. No way would I now drive without my botch of the ratchet straps in place. Fuming after near 4K for the lwb version.
If the roof had moved backwards the cam would engage MORE with the bars so that's not it.
Take some pics of the cam in the locked position relative to the bars as close as you can get them together when taking a pic from the side to see how far the cam overlaps the bar.

Does the cam turn all the way into place? If the roof has moved back, then it might be that the cam can’t rotate fully into place, and the sloping part is touching the bar, which might encourage it to rotate with vibration.

Hi mate, sorry I meant the roof moved forward so the latch is only connecting onto a small part of the crossbar rather than the full thing.
Cam turned fully, it wasn't hitting the side nuts of the crossbar.

This is an interesting photo, when did you get your roof fitted ? Mine is in just now because the front cams were squeaking, indicating some sort of movement. The cams sent to replace the ones I have are these ones pictured. Notice there are normally 3 screws holding the cam lock to the roof, but in this design the cam is tightened in a manner that basically sandwiches it against the roof with wavy washer underneath. So even in this thread 3 different cam designs. The skyline videos on fitting still show the drilling of 3 holes and fitting of cams that way.

My converter who is fitting the new cams are concerned about the cam overlap with the bar on the pop top. So are fitting a wider bar to ensure better overlap. Only thing is they only have mild steel instead of stainless so I'll monitor it for any bending!

This is an interesting photo, when did you get your roof fitted ? Mine is in just now because the front cams were squeaking, indicating some sort of movement. The cams sent to replace the ones I have are these ones pictured. Notice there are normally 3 screws holding the cam lock to the roof, but in this design the cam is tightened in a manner that basically sandwiches it against the roof with wavy washer underneath. So even in this thread 3 different cam designs. The skyline videos on fitting still show the drilling of 3 holes and fitting of cams that way.

My converter who is fitting the new cams are concerned about the cam overlap with the bar on the pop top. So are fitting a wider bar to ensure better overlap. Only thing is they only have mild steel instead of stainless so I'll monitor it for any bending!
The roof was fitted 12 months ago by converter but one of the cams worked lose so I pop it into skyline in Somerset and they fitted the new ones in October been good ever since

The roof was fitted 12 months ago by converter but one of the cams worked lose so I pop it into skyline in Somerset and they fitted the new ones in October been good ever since
Ah that makes sense. Mine was also fitted 12 months ago but now in for the new cam locks.

I recently started having issues with the closure of my Skyline Aurora roof, which was fitted by an approved installer in 2021. The closure just wasn’t as effective as it had been, and was visibly worse on one side than the other.
I was pleased to see that Skyline offers a 5 year return to base warranty, made an appointment and took the van in. They quickly surmised that the installer had not deadbolted the mechanism to the van body, which had resulted in the entire roof moving forward, which in turn reduced their contact with the latches. It took them 15 minutes to refit it properly and completely restore my faith in the roof and its secure closure.
I agree with previous contributors in this thread that the design and latches are entirely fit for purpose and that any failures are likely the result of inadequate installation or user error.

I would have been doing 50mph+ when it opened. The installers had to reposition it slightly on the roof of the van as it had moved slightly apparently. There was no damage to the pop top or the van. What is different since that incident after adjusting the roof is that the pop top sits a little further back than it did after it was first installed. The pop top originally brushed the rubber deflector as it closed when it was being shown to me on collection. There is now a gap.

View attachment 147097
So they have pulled the roof back on the hinges to get more lever over the flat roof brackets which suggests the measurements are wrong, in way of front roof mount to back, if you watch the mechanic fitting the aurora on you tube, he marks it out with a tape measure then, before marking his cut lines, he brings it back 10 mm

Back