Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Looking at the pictures of the locking mechanism (thanks Grim Reaper) it definitely shows you could possibly lock off with the key and not secured the roof, and not able to see if it is secured as it is fully obscured by the roof being down. Think I am going to keep strapping mine, I even cable tie both securing points on a long journey, so there is no possibility of the roof flying open at motorway speeds.
Yea, you’re partly right. It’s possible to turn the key and think it’s locked… but you’d have to not be paying attention at all, because you’d have no resistance to indicate the latch is being pulled down.

And it’s dead obvious outside the vehicle…with a significant gap between the roof and the van.

Comes down to knowing what you’re doing, and common sense. Nearly impossible to get wrong if you’ve done it even once to learn how.

Been looking to add my rods to the slider today and I think the underlying issue with the sagging slider is the size of the handles attached to the roof shell, they are so deep that with the fabric from the canvas pulled in and overlapping the handles, they push the sliding part downwards as it slides forwards.
Looking now for some shallow handles to replace the existing ones which won't force the sliding panel down.

Been looking to add my rods to the slider today and I think the underlying issue with the sagging slider is the size of the handles attached to the roof shell, they are so deep that with the fabric from the canvas pulled in and overlapping the handles, they push the sliding part downwards as it slides forwards.
Looking now for some shallow handles to replace the existing ones which won't force the sliding panel down.
I agree. The fabric overlapping the handles pushes the cover down, but I still think you’ll want a latch of some kind, right?

I don’t think you need shallower handles.

My sliding cover doesn't (as it is) slide open on its own while driving. The friction between canvas fabric and slider coupled with the pressure of the handle behind it means it's quite difficult to move
The only reason I can see for a latch on the sliding cover is to stop the weight of the slider pulling it down, possibly to the detriment of the slider rails on either side, while it is closed.
Now, is it possible that the act of closing the slider and latching it, having to force the cover up to get it to latch, and transferring that force to the handles may have popped the roof latches off the hooks in some instances? Like I showed earlier, my roof latches overlap the hooks on the roof by some margin, but others with bent latches may be at risk.

Edit to add, I've just put an offer in on 10 slightly shallower handles on ebay, 44mm deep rather than the 52mm deep ones currently fitted. I may have some spares.

My sliding cover doesn't (as it is) slide open on its own while driving. The friction between canvas fabric and slider coupled with the pressure of the handle behind it means it's quite difficult to move
The only reason I can see for a latch on the sliding cover is to stop the weight of the slider pulling it down, possibly to the detriment of the slider rails on either side, while it is closed.
Now, is it possible that the act of closing the slider and latching it, having to force the cover up to get it to latch, and transferring that force to the handles may have popped the roof latches off the hooks in some instances? Like I showed earlier, my roof latches overlap the hooks on the roof by some margin, but others with bent latches may be at risk.

Edit to add, I've just put an offer in on 10 slightly shallower handles on ebay, 44mm deep rather than the 52mm deep ones currently fitted. I may have some spares.
Are you SWB? I wonder if it matters…. I’m LWB and my cover hangs too low if not latched. Looks stupid.

Interested to see what your new handles look like.

Mine doesn’t hang low, my roof catches engage properly, no issues with handles and the sliding roof clip works well.

Just to balance out the complaints. :)

It had the lethal metal catch on it originally, i got blood on the original canvas off it (a temporary canvas that was fitted in the beginning...long story) so it never went back on again.
It’s the handles that push the slider board downwards. It’s tight on space behind there.
I have an Aurora, I suspect that regular models will not have the issue as the roof will be higher and there’s more space above the slider. I don’t know about the Skylow though, do they use the same handles?

New handles arrived today, fitted (needed to drill holes out to 10mm to clear the threaded female ends sticking out of the roof, and cut down the bolts a bit so they would sit down in the holes rather than on top of the washers like the originals did).
Roof slider now closes and opens easily and it's not putting pressure on the handles or fabric anymore.
IMG20220413110104.jpg

New handles arrived today, fitted (needed to drill holes out to 10mm to clear the threaded female ends sticking out of the roof, and cut down the bolts a bit so they would sit down in the holes rather than on top of the washers like the originals did).
Roof slider now closes and opens easily and it's not putting pressure on the handles or fabric anymore.
View attachment 152800
Sounds like a good result! Got a photo of them fitted?

Sorry it took a while but I have the roof up today and have a pic, looks much like the old ones just a bit shallower.
The 'DANGER' tag is to remind me not to have the tailgate open when opening or closing the pop-top, I have an ABT spoiler that interferes with the action if the tailgate is open.IMG_20220421_155004.jpg

Well - I have just googled this subject, because I thought I was going mad with my Skyline Aurora! One latch keeps popping open ( I thought it was human error to start with) until it just repeatedly opened on a road trip to the point that I had to lock it down with a ratchet strap wrapped around the vehicle. My roof was fitted August 2021, after a delay because it did not meet production standards.

Well - I have just googled this subject, because I thought I was going mad with my Skyline Aurora! One latch keeps popping open ( I thought it was human error to start with) until it just repeatedly opened on a road trip to the point that I had to lock it down with a ratchet strap wrapped around the vehicle. My roof was fitted August 2021, after a delay because it did not meet production standards.
Have you been back to your installer? I wasn’t that far from mine the day after it was fitted when it opened on me whilst driving. They made some adjustments and it’s been rock solid ever since. I’ve no lingering fear now of it opening. There was some play in the roof, it could be lifted ever so slightly at the front corners when it was first installed. There is no play now, it pinches down tight and secure.

Last edited:
I had an Aurora roof fitted at my local converter in January along with some other work. The roof was demonstrated to me on collection, locked down correctly and I took my van home - a short drive across town. The next day I set off for a long drive to the North East, I’d gone about 7 miles before joining a dual carriageway. I’d not been on the road long before the inner roof/bed ‘popped’ off the clip. I had a bad feeling but felt nothing else, I slowed and tried to look in my mirrors to see if the roof had opened. Moments later the next vehicle to pass me jestured wildly at my roof and I pulled off the road onto a slip road that I was just adjacent to. The roof was up! I felt sick. I had no idea why or how and did not look at the position of locking levers. I pulled the roof back down and called my installer who was just 10 miles away and took the van straight back to them. A couple of hours later the roof was ‘fixed’ and a good deal more secure feeling than the day I’d picked it up. The roof lifted slightly at front corners which I was uncertain about but the installer who showed me did not seem concerned. The roof does not lift at the corners now. I’m confident the roof is ok. The installer is confident and they fit a number of these. They told me they were going to speak to speak to Skyline about the matter of the roof opening.
I wasn’t aware that others have had issues and I didn’t make a fuss at the time. I pondered whether I would say anything here, but it happened, and so I thought I’d set it on record. I do not know whether there was any human error involved - I do know that the boss of the company used would make sure that his entire crew would make note and learn from the experience. That is a good outcome for me. My van still looks great and I love it. The weather has been mostly hideous since the incident so the roof has not been up since. I do know that if I have any questions, that having used a local installer, the answer is just a short drive away :)
This has just happened to me - thought I was going mad because I've found it open a couple of times, but it was really noticeable on this journey as we repeatedly had to pull over to fix it. Ended up having to ratchet it down on the outside to get home.

Have you been back to your installer? I want that far from mine the day after it was fitted when it opened on me whilst driving. They made some adjustments and it’s been rock solid ever since. I’ve no lingering fear now of it opening. There was some play in the roof, it could be lifted ever so slightly at there front corners when it was first installed. There is no play now, it pinches down tight and secure.
I'm heading back there this week, so I'll see what they say. Its not very re-assuring as I know there was production issues. It was delayed by 5 months on the install... really wish I hadn't gone with Skyline.

Can you take a picture like the ones on page three of the latch open, half closed and fully closed (but not latched into the roof bar, just alongside it for reference as to where the latch would end up)?

To add balance, I visited one of the large campervan companies this weekend.

Admittedly, I did very little hands-on research before booking my Skyline roof - party due to Covid.

So I hadn’t really seen and felt first-hand the quality of materials and workmanship of other roofs.

I was not impressed at all with the Redline and Westdubs roofs I tried out this weekend. I left feeling very pleased with my Skyline Aurora.

That said, I haven’t tried the Austops yet, and they’re meant to be good. And the Jerba roof looks really nice.

Key thing is to be happy with you have I guess, as long as you’re confident it’s safe. I’m fully confident in the safety of my roof.

It had the lethal metal catch on it originally, i got blood on the original canvas off it (a temporary canvas that was fitted in the beginning...long story) so it never went back on again.
It’s the handles that push the slider board downwards. It’s tight on space behind there.
I have an Aurora, I suspect that regular models will not have the issue as the roof will be higher and there’s more space above the slider. I don’t know about the Skylow though, do they use the same handles?
Have you got an alternative to the metal 'blade' catch?

Back