Shorter drive-shafts / raised sub-frame

Mattsolar

I’ve just fitted SoLows with modified top mount and now have pretty bad drive shaft judder.
I've been told to get some shorter drive shafts to sort the problem out.
transporter HQ haven’t got any in stock.
BeLow are out of stock

does anyone know anyone that sells or has some for sale. It’s driving me crazy

They are the only places I know of. Check lowdown transporters Facebook page. The guys on there maybe able to help more.

I’ve just fitted SoLows with modified top mount and now have pretty bad drive shaft judder.
BeLow are out of stock

Its often cheaper and better to do an engine lift than swap the driveshafts.

I’m hoping to get one shipped over.
I have had the suspension shipped and lots of other things should be ok.
thanks for your help
Hi, do you have facebook?
There are some people on the Lowdown Transporters page that do this. Might be worth joining and asking.

Hi, do you have facebook?
There are some people on the Lowdown Transporters page that do this. Might be worth joining and asking.

yes just joined lowdown.
just had a thought it’s not when I turn right it’s only when I turn left. Most of the discussions seem to have a problem when turning right..
Do you think it could be something else?

yes just joined lowdown.
just had a thought it’s not when I turn right it’s only when I turn left. Most of the discussions seem to have a problem when turning right..
Do you think it could be something else?
Not sure, sorry.

@Skyliner33 @Mattsolar

quick question?

How can you be certain that there is drive shaft judder present?

Can I diagnose this myself?

I'm running kw coilovers all the way down.

If I would raise the front by 20mm, could this have an impact on the judder?

As I said above, I would join the Lowdown Transporters facebook page. There are far more knowledgeable guys on there than me. What makes you think there is driveshaft judder?

As I said above, I would join the Lowdown Transporters facebook page. There are far more knowledgeable guys on there than me. What makes you think there is driveshaft judder?
@Skyliner33 Just trying to pin point the reason for my judder i get from the front right.

i've noticed a change since it's lowered, but since i've added banded steels with general grabber tyres it only seems to be worse or more pronounced (if you understand what i mean).

meanwhile it's been realigned with the steelies on, i've got the wheels rebalanced yesterday in a different shop.

there was some difference in the front tyres and one the rear.

we did notice a bigger 'wobble' in the rear steelies when balancing...

but it's still there...

so it's driving me 'insane' at the moment.

my next step will be reinstalling the 16 inch factory steelies and see how that goes.

if it's there also but less, that would mean that it ain't the steelies, just that the steelies feel different i guess

@Skyliner33 Just trying to pin point the reason for my judder i get from the front right.

i've noticed a change since it's lowered, but since i've added banded steels with general grabber tyres it only seems to be worse or more pronounced (if you understand what i mean).

meanwhile it's been realigned with the steelies on, i've got the wheels rebalanced yesterday in a different shop.

there was some difference in the front tyres and one the rear.

we did notice a bigger 'wobble' in the rear steelies when balancing...

but it's still there...

so it's driving me 'insane' at the moment.

my next step will be reinstalling the 16 inch factory steelies and see how that goes.

if it's there also but less, that would mean that it ain't the steelies, just that the steelies feel different i guess
Have you thought about winding the coilovers right the way up to see if the judder goes? Have you checked the top mounts are ok condition. Are the nuts at the top at the correct torque or a bit loose?

Have you thought about winding the coilovers right the way up to see if the judder goes? Have you checked the top mounts are ok condition. Are the nuts at the top at the correct torque or a bit loose?

it's a new t6.1 since may 2020 , lowered since september.

top mounts should be ok i guess.

i'll try raising the front this weekend and see how that goes

BeLow are out of stock

I have adjustable solows without modified top mounts. I have a judder but only when turning left.I've had various parts changed I'm pretty much down either the tyre is defective but no sign of wear at all or the drive shaft needs to be changed . Are you having the same problem and did you mange to find somewhere that supplies shorter versions?

I have adjustable solows without modified top mounts. I have a judder but only when turning left.I've had various parts changed I'm pretty much down either the tyre is defective but no sign of wear at all or the drive shaft needs to be changed . Are you having the same problem and did you mange to find somewhere that supplies shorter versions?
That is certainly drive shaft judder. The company that makes the shorter shafts don’t actually make them anymore. I’ve contacted to ask.
The best way to cure that judder is raise the ride height or sub frame raise then you get to keep standard drive shafts.

I know this because when I run really really low I get the judder. For some reason some transporters suffer more at different heights.

Last edited:
Interested to know who may have raised their sub frames and successfully cured the dreaded drive shaft judder. Also how much did it cost and can anybody recommend somewhere local to the Midlands.

Sorry to reopen this thread

Is the above part still available? I’ve fitted solow lows and get judder as discribed. I’m going to raise it slightly to eliminate it but long term id like to run it in its lowest setting

Thanks

Back