SoLow Suspension

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I know Solow's aren't new by any means, and several members are already running these bad boys, but as a die hard B14 fan, I wanted to give my take on this set-up.

As some of you already know, i'm pretty chummy with the Transporter HQ team. They regularly ask if they can borrow my van for T32 mods to test out, and other new bits for T6's they want to photo for their website or Instagram. I like to think this relationship is because of my pragmatic approach to modifications and my sparkling personality, but I suspect it's more to do with being local, they have my mobile number and I will always pitch up with some kind of sugary treat from our local bakery. This relationship is thankfully a two way street and for everything I do to help them, they return 5 fold to me, be that, keeping what ever they photograph on my van, or very often I will have parts I need for my own van at heavily discounted prices.

I've been lucky enough to be part of a development between the HQ team and Bilstein recently, using my van as the test vehicle on the basis I do the miles, carry consistent weight and understand the engineering, so able to give the correct feedback to help these guys out. This is all top secret, and it's for future projects, but it's all finished now and put to one side for later.
So when it came to removing the test suspension, Andy asked what I wanted to put back on mine, my B14s or a set of Solows that he was saving for himself.

This was genuinely a dilemma for me, because i'm so happy with the B14 set-up and i'd got my stance pretty much where I wanted it, but I opted for the Solows to see what all the hype was about.
I've driven several vans on Solows and a couple on B14 Komforts, but none of these were my van. So different weights, engines, wheels and tyres, therefor in my opinion different driving characteristics, albeit you can get a good idea to base things on.
Bare in mind that the Solows are 100mm drop straight out the box on full height. Also bare in mind that mine is generally heavy and has the machined top mount mod, so installing the Solows is always going to be lower than the same van without the weight or extra mods. However, it's me and it wouldn't be normal if I didn't get my van crouching as far down as she could. Initially Mikey asked where shall we start off with the adjusters, and like an excited child, I just said don't faff about, wind her right to the bottom, to which he just laughed and said 'no mate, that's never going to work' So we settled on half way down. I now know exactly why he laughed, because this is as low as a static can go with my mods, 18s on 45 profile tyres and the weight.
The tyres aren't the limiting factor here, because there's still room under my arches to easily go further. The reason I cannot go lower is because the UKs roads and speed humps will not allow it, without some major subframe and exhaust work. A path i'm not going down.

Are the Solows a better suspension? Well Yes. They are by no means maxed out, like my B14s were, so this gives me far more comfort and therefor an improvement on the B14 at my height.
If I have a negative, it's only that the Solows aren't as stiff as my B14s were and I like a firm ride to give stronger driver feedback, but my wife and my back will thank me for the extra comfort.
The Solows don't knock, or bang, there's no rubbing anywhere, even on full lock. Yeah ok, most of this is down to the perfect offset of the banded Amaroks and my tyre size choice, but still it's lovely to drive a van that doesn't have at least one knock or rub.

Are Solows for you? Depends. From my experience a B14 is a fantastic product and ultra reliable. My B14s have been in my van for a lot of miles and are still in perfect condition and still drive the same now, as they did when they were installed a few years ago. They give a mild lowering, and coupled with H&R Anti roll bars, they are a huge improvement over stock suspension. So a B14 will be the prefect choice for many owners going down the Bilstein route.
But... If you want very low, then the B14 is limited unless you are heavy and you couple the B14 with a few other mods like I did with the machined top mount and rear adjuster delete kit, ABS wire re-route and bump stop mod. But, If that is your possible route, then I suggest bypassing a B14 and looking at the Solow's (these just weren't developed when I had my B14s installed)
Solow are still using a Bilstein shock, so the reliability should still be high end, but you have the option of going daft low for a static setup. Just don't assume you can whack on a set of Solows and wind it right down without other modifications, because that might not be the reality. Plus you are limited on front wheel widths and offsets and you need to be very strategic with tyre sizes to enable you to use the Solows at the lower end of the adjustment.

Overall i'm glad I went down this new route, other than the fact I now have a coil-over that's begging to be wound down further.

Disclaimer: Lowness, especially static lowness without the luxury of air to lift you up in certain situations, needs very careful consideration. It's awkward, a pain, a nightmare for anyone following over speed humps, cringeworthy if you touch a pothole, impossible if you own a house with a steep driveway, impossible if you bump up kerbs, impossible if you want to open your door near a high kerb, head banging getting in and out if you are tall, and generally not the best idea.

But boy it looks good in a B&W shot and you will keep looking back at the stance when you walk away:cool:

20210209_113219_resized.jpg

Great write up as always. Glad you are pleased with the solow setup - here’s to another 100k miles. They are super smooth aren’t they, considering the height it’s running.

Great write up as always. Glad you are pleased with the solow setup - here’s to another 100k miles. They are super smooth aren’t they, considering the height it’s running.

I was tempted to tag you in as the original installer of my amazing B14s and I was genuinely reluctant to move over to Solow, but yeah they are smooth, even at this low.

I might have the B14s made into a table to keep forever;)

Excellent write up, iv been pondering in getting solows it’s a standed van and my first taste into the vw t6 scene. Iv put a deposit down to a member on here who is selling his and will hopefully have them by the end of the month, I was in two minds thinking have I made the right choice but to read your write up about them I know I’m goin down the right root.

Excellent write up, iv been pondering in getting solows it’s a standed van and my first taste into the vw t6 scene. Iv put a deposit down to a member on here who is selling his and will hopefully have them by the end of the month, I was in two minds thinking have I made the right choice but to read your write up about them I know I’m goin down the right root.

Coil-over choices for me as a Bilstein fan are simple.
Subtle low on a mid budget: B14s
Subtle low on a high budget: B14 Komforts
Slammed on the floor: Solows.

You just have to understand that the Solow route needs careful research with wheel and tyre sizes on the lower end of adjustment, and down there, you are very low for a static 24/7 drive. (but set on the highest setting, you will get away with load rated 17" or 18" tyres)

Where as the others give a lot more flexibility on wheels and tyres.

You won't regret your purchase.

Coil-over choices for me as a Bilstein fan are simple.
Subtle low on a mid budget: B14s
Subtle low on a high budget: B14 Komforts
Slammed on the floor: Solows.

You just have to understand that the Solow route needs careful research with wheel and tyre sizes on the lower end of adjustment, and down there, you are very low for a static 24/7 drive. (but set on the highest setting, you will get away with load rated 17" or 18" tyres)

Where as the others give a lot more flexibility on wheels and tyres.

You won't regret your purchase.
[/QUOTE

I was lead to believe having read posts that some members that have these that having solows your wheel choice is limited, I was never goin down the route of anything over 18s wheel choice wise it’s a family bus and all I wanted was it to be lowered and still be a enjoyable drive.
In the near future I’ll be looking at buying banded amoraks to finish off the look I’m after and having the solows out of the box height.
reading you post finally put my mind to rest I was making the right decision. Thanks

Excellent write up, I’ve been running SoLows now for about 18 months and love them. I’ve had my issues don’t get me wrong with the height. I’ve lost a few splitters and mud flaps.
I’m running Duchy Amoraks and they fit perfect, I’m set on the highest setting but I’m looking at getting 19” banded RR’s so I’ll be watching this thread as I know @Tourershine is a huge fan of them.

To give a quick update to my Solow journey.

18" Amaroks off, and 19" RRs on. This allowed me to drop a further 10mm at the front and 20mm at the rear and weirdly enough, this is probably the most comfortable my van has even been. Even my wife, who has zero tact with me, said tonight that it is actually a lot better than it's ever been and she hates being in the van.

I've done around 2000 miles already and hand on heart, this is the best my van has been both in comfort and looks. I only wish I'd of done it ages ago.

20210306_070634.jpg

18" Amaroks off, and 19" RRs on. This allowed me to drop a further 10mm at the front and 20mm at the rear and weirdly enough, this is probably the most comfortable my van has even been. Even my wife, who has zero tact with me, said tonight that it is actually a lot better than it's ever been and she hates being in the van.

I've done around 2000 miles already and hand on heart, this is the best my van has been both in comfort and looks. I only wish I'd of done it ages ago.

View attachment 107018

That picture is perfect

View attachment 107018
I'm not saying a word regarding doing this sooner......this looked spot on yesterday ...plus I'm biased when it comes to solows

What do you think in reality the highest setting is I want to lower mine but only a bit for now

Back