SoLow Suspension

Coil-over choices for me as a Bilstein fan are simple.
Subtle low on a mid budget: B14s
Subtle low on a high budget: B14 Komforts
Slammed on the floor: Solows.

You just have to understand that the Solow route needs careful research with wheel and tyre sizes on the lower end of adjustment, and down there, you are very low for a static 24/7 drive. (but set on the highest setting, you will get away with load rated 17" or 18" tyres)

Where as the others give a lot more flexibility on wheels and tyres.

You won't regret your purchase.
Hi im trying to find out if an 18 in 8j rim with an et35 work with solows on highest setting the tyre size is 245x45x18 103xl
Any chance you would know ??

Hi im trying to find out if an 18 in 8j rim with an et35 work with solows on highest setting the tyre size is 245x45x18 103xl
Any chance you would know ??
I’m not sure what offset a standard 18” wheel is that is your only issue, the Tyre size will be fine I ran amoraks as do many others, I think the standard offset for 18’s is normally around 50 so you’ll be sticking out to the arch further which may cause you issues .

I’m not sure what offset a standard 18” wheel is that is your only issue, the Tyre size will be fine I ran amoraks as do many others, I think the standard offset for 18’s is normally around 50 so you’ll be sticking out to the arch further which may cause you issues .
Thanks for your reply , yeah thats my worry

That looks good whats the wheel offset ? Although does look like youve got 10-20 between top of wheel to arch ....
This is the info for the wheel sizes. The solows are at the highest settings I’m happy with the ride quality and it just about makes it over speed bumps without any scraping

7211FBA9-99F7-484B-9122-2A85174849DE.png

To give a quick update to my Solow journey.

18" Amaroks off, and 19" RRs on. This allowed me to drop a further 10mm at the front and 20mm at the rear and weirdly enough, this is probably the most comfortable my van has even been. Even my wife, who has zero tact with me, said tonight that it is actually a lot better than it's ever been and she hates being in the van.

I've done around 2000 miles already and hand on heart, this is the best my van has been both in comfort and looks. I only wish I'd of done it ages ago.

View attachment 107018
Stance looks amazing. I have RR’s on mine with 245/45 front and 255/45 rear. Could I use solows with this wheel/tyre setup. If so what sort of drop could I achieve with this setup. I’m torn between solows and HnR coilovers. At such a big cost I don’t know where to put my money. Been bitten with cheap coilovers so time to upgrade.

Any advice is appreciated

I’ve got 20s wit 255/35/20 and I’m so tempted to go down to 17 Devonports and add some comfort back in. Got a pregnant wife and don’t want her moaning about bumps

Stance looks amazing. I have RR’s on mine with 245/45 front and 255/45 rear. Could I use solows with this wheel/tyre setup. If so what sort of drop could I achieve with this setup. I’m torn between solows and HnR coilovers. At such a big cost I don’t know where to put my money. Been bitten with cheap coilovers so time to upgrade.

Any advice is appreciated
Hi there

You shouldn't really compare these two kits as they dont compete in the same market at all . ( same price i think ?? )
H&R is 50 to 80 mm drops and in my opinion 80 is already an aggressive drop . A very sporty kit with great handling .
Solows are 100 to 130 mm i believe this can make a vehicle quite impractical , depending what you do with the van . Show van or work horse . they get the low drops from shortening the shocks a lot more than any TUV standard would approve, and this in a nut shell means the tyre and wheel can articulate much further into the wheel arch than the vehicle was designed for. Issues this will cause are drive shaft angles, a big cause for concern here . The older vans seem to cope with bigger drive shaft angles than the newer vans . We helped a client the other day brand new t6.1 , lowered 110 mm, drive shafts started crying with in a day and we lifted it back up . Not a kit we supplied as we dont believe this is good for the vehicle at all "!!!

Hey guys, just wondering what drop links people are using with solows? I’m on 20s with solows at full height and have gone through 2 sets of meyle hd ones in 7000 miles. Spoke with transporter hq that say they should be fine and longer ones aren’t needed. What are you guys using and has anyone had the same problem?

Hey guys, just wondering what drop links people are using with solows? I’m on 20s with solows at full height and have gone through 2 sets of meyle hd ones in 7000 miles. Spoke with transporter hq that say they should be fine and longer ones aren’t needed. What are you guys using and has anyone had the same problem?
I’ve fitted quite a few sets of Solows and never seen a need for longer drop links. My own van is 135mm down and runs standard length drop links and all works as it should. The ARB is in a decent orientation too.

When you say you’ve gone through them, have the links themselves failed, or have they just worked loose and starting knocking?

I’ve fitted quite a few sets of Solows and never seen a need for longer drop links. My own van is 135mm down and runs standard length drop links and all works as it should. The ARB is in a decent orientation too.

When you say you’ve gone through them, have the links themselves failed, or have they just worked loose and starting knocking?
The rubbers keep splitting. Just replaced them 3000 miles ago and while the van vas having a pre tune inspection I find they need replacing again. Any ideas what could be causing them to keep failing? I torque them to the right tightness so not sure what’s wrong

Back