Steering rack on the way out?

Dm85

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Need some advice……

I have a late 2018 DSG transporter 150 2wd. About 3 weeks ago I put the van into reverse and noticed it was vibrating through the cab and steering wheel. It has got worse progressively.

I have extended warranty and AA/VW assist came out and told me the back engine mount had gone as the engine was moving excessively in rotation forward if you held the brake and tapped the throttle. So got both subframe mounts done.

This didn’t solve the issue.

Symptoms I’m still having are

Stationary turning the steering wheel there’s a lot of juddering/vibration left to right through the cab and steering wheel.

Driving along I can see the dash rattling and I can feel every bump book and cranny in the road through the cab and steering wheel. Feels like I have tyres that are at 100psi or made of stone

No audible knocking sounds evident.

I don’t feel confident comfortable going over 60mph on the motorway

When I turn slowly into a road I can feel that vibration i can feel when stationary just slightly less.

Going over a drain cover for example it feels like hitting a pot hole. And the dash rattles

I have had both sub frame engine mounts replaced as a process of elimination. Not made a difference

I had koni suspension fitted and the ride was amazing compared to stock. I’m in no way saying that’s the fault as going slowly over speed bumps it’s fine.

I fear maybe the steering rack? Should I change the top mounts and bearings? Subframe bushings? Control arm bushings?

Pulling my hair out as I’m sure VW will say it’s normal even tho I’ve had this vehicle from new and I know it very well!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Reactions: CJW
Juddering on turns while stationary and rough ride were both symptoms of my front suspension arm bushes on their way out. Replaced and all good.

Can’t speak for your other symptoms and of course it’s very easy to misdiagnose.

I would still go with top mounts (as per the other thread...)
Try to check the top nut at the very least, ideally with weight off the wheels. You'll be able be able to check the rest of the front suspension too. Just make sure both front wheels are unloaded (off of the ground) otherwise the ARB will be twisted which could mask any movement.
We're the top mounts replaced when you had the Koni's fitted?

Juddering on turns while stationary and rough ride were both symptoms of my front suspension arm bushes on their way out. Replaced and all good.

Can’t speak for your other symptoms and of course it’s very easy to misdiagnose.
It could be that. I’ve got Vw assist out tomorrow and I will get them to drive the van this time as it’s the 3rd time ‍

I would still go with top mounts (as per the other thread...)
Try to check the top nut at the very least, ideally with weight off the wheels. You'll be able be able to check the rest of the front suspension too. Just make sure both front wheels are unloaded (off of the ground) otherwise the ARB will be twisted which could mask any movement.
Were the top mounts replaced when you had the Koni's fitted?
I did ask Steve but he said if the original ones were ok he kept them on but the roads around bristol are horrendous so would not durian me if they have been shot. I’m hoping it’s that or bushes as it does feel like it’s just metal on metal which would be what I’m feeling through the van

Pulling my hair out as I’m sure VW will say it’s normal even tho I’ve had this vehicle from new and I know it very well!
They might say it’s down to modifications so have something prepared.

Just had road side assist out. The guy thinks it’s passenger side related suspension/steering nothing seems loose and needs a lift to properly check.

Any update with this? Having similar issues after fitting my konis.
Not yet,

Went all the way up to Steve and they took the struts out and didn’t say much tbh. Drive up was horrendous. Drive back slightly better. Which makes me wonder what changed that. Got them to change the top mounts and bearings and it felt slightly better but now it’s worse than ever. I hope it’s not the suspension as I’ve spent a lot already trying to eliminate the issue. Including days of works being self employed and all.. Engine mounts on sub frame replaced and got ripped off there also.

now I’m going for control arms/bushings possibly…..

I’ve got an MOT on Monday at VW and also booked into a local garage to have a look to give their opinions, and get a conclusion one way or another.

Feels so bad over rough ground to the point the steering wheel shakes my seat and dashboard.

Strange you’re having these issues too. I’ve got koni sport shocks 50mm springs 18 months old so you wouldn’t expect any failures surely!??

Last edited:
I don’t think I have the issue as bad as you as it’s still drivable but can feel vibrations under my feet.

I’ve replaced the top mounts tightened everything up a few times so not convinced it’s the suspension as I’ve got play in my steering too.

Actually had the van at a local garage today and the boys just phoned me to say he’s pretty certain my steering rack is gone but going to check the arms first. Also have some wishbone bushes gone so that won’t be helping.

I fitted them myself in June time and not done many miles, 40mm drop on 20 inch wheels.

I don’t think I have the issue as bad as you as it’s still drivable but can feel vibrations under my feet.

I’ve replaced the top mounts tightened everything up a few times so not convinced it’s the suspension as I’ve got play in my steering too.

Actually had the van at a local garage today and the boys just phoned me to say he’s pretty certain my steering rack is gone but going to check the arms first. Also have some wishbone bushes gone so that won’t be helping.

I fitted them myself in June time and not done many miles, 40mm drop on 20 inch wheels.
Oh, the rack would be a nightmare. I get a really rough ride in general but worse over rough ground. Feels like bushings failed to me. Hope it’s not the rack! What sort of steering play are you getting? Can you se the wheels turn with input stationary? How old is the van?

What sort of mileage did you replace your bushes? I took a picture of mine and the rubber has split in the voided area. Not sure if that’s normal?

What sort of mileage did you replace your bushes? I took a picture of mine and the rubber has split in the voided area. Not sure if that’s normal?
160k. I didn’t do a visual - it was picked up by a mechanic friend. He got in, moved it two yards forward with a small turn and said ‘bushes are knackered’. He was right.

160k. I didn’t do a visual - it was picked up by a mechanic friend. He got in, moved it two yards forward with a small turn and said ‘bushes are knackered’. He was right.
One of the first things I did was slap T32 lower front bushes in the front arms, amazing difference, I also put another steering rack in it too, still all same ... turned out my subframe bolts had been re-used or not torqued correctly and re-used, front subfame bushes showed "scrubbed off" filiments of rubber inside the front subframe bolt washers, nothing wrong with the bushes.
New bolts, 4ft bar and the torque sequence, 120ftIb + 180degrees... I did about 270degrees on fronts to feel bolt tight like rear felt .... on a 4ft bar :eek:

i had the ball joints replaced and definitely the old ones were shot! Feels better but I am going to replace the arms with meyle HD which I have bought and they are solid rubber, I should imagine similar to the t32.

On another note the underlying engine vibrations I’m getting at idle and driving are there still. I feel it is the DMF, as it’s fairly noisy and sometimes get a thump if I put my foot down. I took it in to VW earlier in the year as have extended warranty. They just fobbed me off as usual. Want possibly £800 to investigate and maybe deny me. Can get one replaced for not much more. Never ends on these vans!

i had the ball joints replaced and definitely the old ones were shot! Feels better but I am going to replace the arms with meyle HD which I have bought and they are solid rubber, I should imagine similar to the t32.

On another note the underlying engine vibrations I’m getting at idle and driving are there still. I feel it is the DMF, as it’s fairly noisy and sometimes get a thump if I put my foot down. I took it in to VW earlier in the year as have extended warranty. They just fobbed me off as usual. Want possibly £800 to investigate and maybe deny me. Can get one replaced for not much more. Never ends on these vans!
Hey mate did the new control arms/ bushes fix the steering vibration?

Hey mate did the new control arms/ bushes fix the steering vibration?

Hi, I ended up replacing the lot, bar the the ARB and drop links. Put new solow NSL suspension new tyres new arms new ball joints and the tyres made the biggest difference. The suspension is good but firm. Handles good tho. I don’t have the movement when braking from the worn bushes now. I plan on changing the drop links and arb bushes next on my driveway. A lowered van on 20’s is never going to be wonderful on the UK roads, as they are absolutely shocking!!!!!!

One of the first things I did was slap T32 lower front bushes in the front arms, amazing difference, I also put another steering rack in it too, still all same ... turned out my subframe bolts had been re-used or not torqued correctly and re-used, front subfame bushes showed "scrubbed off" filiments of rubber inside the front subframe bolt washers, nothing wrong with the bushes.
New bolts, 4ft bar and the torque sequence, 120ftIb + 180degrees... I did about 270degrees on fronts to feel bolt tight like rear felt .... on a 4ft bar :eek:

I was just reading back on this thread and what you said….I am getting My Basturd DMF replaced in a couple of weeks and was thinking should I replace the subframe bushes? I’ll just provide new bolts, Not really heard of SF bushes going on a T6?

I was just reading back on this thread and what you said….I am getting My Basturd DMF replaced in a couple of weeks and was thinking should I replace the subframe bushes? I’ll just provide new bolts, Not really heard of SF bushes going on a T6?
Yes they have been "used" ... new bolts amd correct torque applied, as you can imagine, bolts are set to the correct torque as determined by the manufactuer, also that you expect the bolts to be exactly the same material,
I can't say what I actually squeezed tight to get the same "applied pressure" on my 4ft bar when pulling the 180degrees+ (after initial torquing) when pulling up the front subframe bolts, oppossed to the rear bolts, rears were 120ft\lb +180degrees, they went rock solid at that. All 4 bolts torqued initially, but the fronts felt soft, so I just kept pulling until f/tight.... much better than before.

Not yet,

Went all the way up to Steve and they took the struts out and didn’t say much tbh. Drive up was horrendous. Drive back slightly better. Which makes me wonder what changed that. Got them to change the top mounts and bearings and it felt slightly better but now it’s worse than ever. I hope it’s not the suspension as I’ve spent a lot already trying to eliminate the issue. Including days of works being self employed and all.. Engine mounts on sub frame replaced and got ripped off there also.

now I’m going for control arms/bushings possibly…..

I’ve got an MOT on Monday at VW and also booked into a local garage to have a look to give their opinions, and get a conclusion one way or another.

Feels so bad over rough ground to the point the steering wheel shakes my seat and dashboard.

Strange you’re having these issues too. I’ve got koni sport shocks 50mm springs 18 months old so you wouldn’t expect any failures surely!??
Did you ever resolve this as I have something very similar going on? Thanks

Back