SoLow Suspension

I'm running SoLows on the their highest settings, I run 18" Banded steels on 255/45/18's and the tyres just sit below the wheel arches.
The ride for me is perfect, I can't fault it.

I'm running SoLows on the their highest settings, I run 18" Banded steels on 255/45/18's and the tyres just sit below the wheel arches.
The ride for me is perfect, I can't fault it.
Yea that’s what I’m saying If you look at his pic he’s got a good 30-40mm before his tyre, don’t think they’ll fit anywhere near that I know mine don’t but then I’m wound all the way down :p

Considering swapping my KW V1 out for some solow coilovers... is there anyone local to Nottingham that could take me for a ride in their van with solows please!?

This is what height I have the KW at and hopefully the solow won't be too much lower but a little more comfy...?

View attachment 132823
That will be a big mistake . solows at their highest are way lower than that and i cant see how they could be more comfortable given that they run with literally no travel .

You guys running solows …..how’s your rear wheel alignment? Are adjustable rear bushes needed to get things running straight and reduce tyre wear?

You guys running solows …..how’s your rear wheel alignment? Are adjustable rear bushes needed to get things running straight and reduce tyre wear?
At maximum height you might just be able to get the rear toe to go green. The negative camber is much less of an issue than the toe.

If you want it all within spec though you will need adjustable bushes.

Mine’s 125mm down without adjustable bushes and the toe in is just outside of the limits on the hunter alignment. My tyres wear pretty evenly. I like the look of the negative camber and it helps the rear wheels and tyres to tuck inside the arch so I have no plans for adjustable bushes.

I know Solow's aren't new by any means, and several members are already running these bad boys, but as a die hard B14 fan, I wanted to give my take on this set-up.

As some of you already know, i'm pretty chummy with the Transporter HQ team. They regularly ask if they can borrow my van for T32 mods to test out, and other new bits for T6's they want to photo for their website or Instagram. I like to think this relationship is because of my pragmatic approach to modifications and my sparkling personality, but I suspect it's more to do with being local, they have my mobile number and I will always pitch up with some kind of sugary treat from our local bakery. This relationship is thankfully a two way street and for everything I do to help them, they return 5 fold to me, be that, keeping what ever they photograph on my van, or very often I will have parts I need for my own van at heavily discounted prices.

I've been lucky enough to be part of a development between the HQ team and Bilstein recently, using my van as the test vehicle on the basis I do the miles, carry consistent weight and understand the engineering, so able to give the correct feedback to help these guys out. This is all top secret, and it's for future projects, but it's all finished now and put to one side for later.
So when it came to removing the test suspension, Andy asked what I wanted to put back on mine, my B14s or a set of Solows that he was saving for himself.

This was genuinely a dilemma for me, because i'm so happy with the B14 set-up and i'd got my stance pretty much where I wanted it, but I opted for the Solows to see what all the hype was about.
I've driven several vans on Solows and a couple on B14 Komforts, but none of these were my van. So different weights, engines, wheels and tyres, therefor in my opinion different driving characteristics, albeit you can get a good idea to base things on.
Bare in mind that the Solows are 100mm drop straight out the box on full height. Also bare in mind that mine is generally heavy and has the machined top mount mod, so installing the Solows is always going to be lower than the same van without the weight or extra mods. However, it's me and it wouldn't be normal if I didn't get my van crouching as far down as she could. Initially Mikey asked where shall we start off with the adjusters, and like an excited child, I just said don't faff about, wind her right to the bottom, to which he just laughed and said 'no mate, that's never going to work' So we settled on half way down. I now know exactly why he laughed, because this is as low as a static can go with my mods, 18s on 45 profile tyres and the weight.
The tyres aren't the limiting factor here, because there's still room under my arches to easily go further. The reason I cannot go lower is because the UKs roads and speed humps will not allow it, without some major subframe and exhaust work. A path i'm not going down.

Are the Solows a better suspension? Well Yes. They are by no means maxed out, like my B14s were, so this gives me far more comfort and therefor an improvement on the B14 at my height.
If I have a negative, it's only that the Solows aren't as stiff as my B14s were and I like a firm ride to give stronger driver feedback, but my wife and my back will thank me for the extra comfort.
The Solows don't knock, or bang, there's no rubbing anywhere, even on full lock. Yeah ok, most of this is down to the perfect offset of the banded Amaroks and my tyre size choice, but still it's lovely to drive a van that doesn't have at least one knock or rub.

Are Solows for you? Depends. From my experience a B14 is a fantastic product and ultra reliable. My B14s have been in my van for a lot of miles and are still in perfect condition and still drive the same now, as they did when they were installed a few years ago. They give a mild lowering, and coupled with H&R Anti roll bars, they are a huge improvement over stock suspension. So a B14 will be the prefect choice for many owners going down the Bilstein route.
But... If you want very low, then the B14 is limited unless you are heavy and you couple the B14 with a few other mods like I did with the machined top mount and rear adjuster delete kit, ABS wire re-route and bump stop mod. But, If that is your possible route, then I suggest bypassing a B14 and looking at the Solow's (these just weren't developed when I had my B14s installed)
Solow are still using a Bilstein shock, so the reliability should still be high end, but you have the option of going daft low for a static setup. Just don't assume you can whack on a set of Solows and wind it right down without other modifications, because that might not be the reality. Plus you are limited on front wheel widths and offsets and you need to be very strategic with tyre sizes to enable you to use the Solows at the lower end of the adjustment.

Overall i'm glad I went down this new route, other than the fact I now have a coil-over that's begging to be wound down further.

Disclaimer: Lowness, especially static lowness without the luxury of air to lift you up in certain situations, needs very careful consideration. It's awkward, a pain, a nightmare for anyone following over speed humps, cringeworthy if you touch a pothole, impossible if you own a house with a steep driveway, impossible if you bump up kerbs, impossible if you want to open your door near a high kerb, head banging getting in and out if you are tall, and generally not the best idea.

But boy it looks good in a B&W shot and you will keep looking back at the stance when you walk away:cool:

View attachment 102729
Superb write up! Thanks for taking the time to post a real world experience and comparison

Hey guys. Fitted solows recently, on the highest setting both front and back. Fronts are sitting perfect but the rear passenger side is maybe a cm higher than the drivers side rear. Been on the van a couple weeks or so and after giving time to settle and also ensuring the rear lower rubber and spring is seated correctly I can’t work out why they aren’t level. Any suggestions before I give the adjuster a few turns? Just not keen on the adjusters being at different heights. I see people saying it’s quite normal but the factory suspension was all the same heights and sat fine?

Hey guys. Fitted solows recently, on the highest setting both front and back. Fronts are sitting perfect but the rear passenger side is maybe a cm higher than the drivers side rear. Been on the van a couple weeks or so and after giving time to settle and also ensuring the rear lower rubber and spring is seated correctly I can’t work out why they aren’t level. Any suggestions before I give the adjuster a few turns? Just not keen on the adjusters being at different heights. I see people saying it’s quite normal but the factory suspension was all the same heights and sat fine?
mine dips a bit at the front, thought it was normal

mine dips a bit at the front, thought it was normal
You may have misunderstood what I mean, the fronts do sit a tad lower than the rears at full height. My problem is with the rear. while both adjusters are set identically to the highest setting they have left the van sitting higher on the passenger side than the drivers side.

Mine is the same although mine are wound right down it’s only minimal difference though, I thought it was just my ocd kicking in. :p

You may have misunderstood what I mean, the fronts do sit a tad lower than the rears at full height. My problem is with the rear. while both adjusters are set identically to the highest setting they have left the van sitting higher on the passenger side than the drivers side.
Measured
Mine is the same although mine are wound right down it’s only minimal difference though, I thought it was just my ocd kicking in. :p
Same, N/S is couple of mm higher

I’m sure no one will notice. Problem is I have and now I can’t un see it :rolleyes:. Just knowing it’s uneven is niggeling at me

I’ll have a measure of mine. But last checked I could get 2 fingers in the drivers side and 3 in the passenger arch gap . So I’m maybe 1.5 cm difference

Stick a bag of sugar in the back of the van on the side that’s higher, job done :slow rofl:

Factory suspension being a lot higher would have been similar but not as obvious.

The benefit of adjustable suspension is getting the van sat level, give them a couple of turns, you'll probably find it throws the opposite front corner out a touch too.

If your interested have a read up on corner weighting, it's basically the same process for race cars etc but done with scales.

On the van getting the arches even is good enough though, measure from arch down to centre of wheel :thumbsup:

Back