Roamer LiFePO4 Gen2 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

lol jealous ^^^^ mind the t5 will suit us wanted something small daily driver an all that. but yeah I'd love to do a a crafter , Haha the miind boggles wood wise with where I could go with that !! Donk have you seen THQ's yellow crafter build?? There is a you tube vid somewhere.'ere ya go

got to be something to inspire you there kiddo!!

dave I struggle with words awesome is very kind....mate we have a woodburner with back boiler........ I work new build sites there is always wood thrown in skips,but one has to cut it.Roamer provided that power via an 18V circular saw...................... so.basically a warm of the house in the morn and eve and all our hot water until the beginning of december was all buck she,on top of the above.

It does make one think on how this tech can be used even though it genuinely never occured to me until after the build leccy wise was done and dusted. Lol it seems being a bit belt an braces is a good thing I installed so many charge points in the camper build think we have 4 double usb 2 cig sockets plus the 2 X 230V off the inverter all runniing off the Roamer..... I can charge a lot of little things at the same time if needed. Def have thoughts about a cordless vac for both van and house now . The roamer has sort of effected how I think anything with a rechargable batt is on my radar now.. sure solar yields are low right now .we are a day of the winter solstice in blighty,that said my panel chugs away every hour of daylight and a biggish battery stores all that energy

lol jealous ^^^^ mind the t5 will suit us wanted something small daily driver an all that. but yeah I'd love to do a a crafter , Haha the miind boggles wood wise with where I could go with that !! Donk have you seen THQ's yellow crafter build?? There is a you tube vid somewhere.'ere ya go

got to be something to inspire you there kiddo!!

dave I struggle with words awesome is very kind....mate we have a woodburner with back boiler........ I work new build sites there is always wood thrown in skips,but one has to cut it.Roamer provided that power via an 18V circular saw...................... so.basically a warm of the house in the morn and eve and all our hot water until the beginning of december was all buck she,on top of the above.

It does make one think on how this tech can be used even though it genuinely never occured to me until after the build leccy wise was done and dusted. Lol it seems being a bit belt an braces is a good thing I installed so many charge points in the camper build think we have 4 double usb 2 cig sockets plus the 2 X 230V off the inverter all runniing off the Roamer..... I can charge a lot of little things at the same time if needed. Def have thoughts about a cordless vac for both van and house now . The roamer has sort of effected how I think anything with a rechargable batt is on my radar now.. sure solar yields are low right now .we are a day of the winter solstice in blighty,that said my panel chugs away every hour of daylight and a biggish battery stores all that energy
Yes, I've seen that video. That van is MASSIVE!

-- ROAMER 230SB3 (Gen3) --

its finally here, -

the latest Gen3 version of the Roamer - SeatBase 230Ah Lifepo4 battery.

+++

+++

now with a spec and test sheet, QR code for the cell pack. . . stickers and more.

1690532087213.png

1690532121547.png

there is a new sticker on the top with all the important details,

and QR code for the APP,

1690532178486.png

its the same APP as before. . .

1690532226747.png
+++

1690538846970.png

++++++

I've been full testing it over the last few weeks. . .

we built a portable battery box . . .

1690538959863.png1690538975055.png

that run T6F Summer camp . . .

+++

we pulled it apart and tested every element of it. . .

1690539099734.png
1690539146522.png

1690540219547.png

+++++++++

The New SMART Range of Roamer battery's gets the @Dellmassive thumbs up and seal of approval.

well done guys.

+++++++++

so what's new . . . .

new active cell balancer,
can run a 3000w inverter,
250A / 500A discharge rate,
same 10year warranty.

+++

1690539356271.png

+++

1690539422493.png

230SEATBASE3​

12V 230Ah LiFePO4
The bar has been raised yet again. Say hello to our 3rd generation Roamer 230SEATBASE3. Grade A+ matched cells provide 230Ah of usable capacity while a high power Battery Management System (BMS) with Active Balancing allows up to 3200W of continuous power - all in a custom case that fits neatly under a campervan swivel seat.

Active Balancing​

Our premium active balancing module is a first in the UK market. Keep your battery cells finely balanced with no energy losses, access the full available capacity, and extend the useful life of your battery. Cell balancing is an essential feature of every Battery Management System (BMS) but most BMS use passive balancing as its simpler and cheaper. Active balancing involves moving charge from one cell to another rather than simply burning off the excess charge through a resistor, making it more efficient and able to balance cells even when the battery is discharging. With a balancing current of up to 2000mA compared to the typical 50mA found on other BMS, the new Roamer SMART battery can also handle a wider range of charge voltages and is less prone to cell voltage drift that can develop as a result of incorrect charging.

Serviceable. Repairable. Upgradeable

As part of our journey towards a more sustainable model and to underline our commitment to sustainability, we designed our new SMART batteries to be fully serviceable, repairable and upgradeable. Combined with free ROAMERCARE you get complete peace of mind that your battery will live a long and happy life. ROAMERCARE offers service guarantees for the life of your battery but also provides the opportunity to upgrade at any point so you don’t need to worry about missing out on future BMS developments - our modular design allows for simple repairs and BMS swaps. It’s so simple, you could even do it yourself on the road.

Built by adventurers with a genuine passion for van life​

The Roamer 230SEATBASE3 uses the very best Grade A+ matched cells and comes assembled with precision-engineered brackets, laser-welded cell connections, flexible copper busbars and an IP65 waterproof case.
Maintaining excellent balance throughout its 15 year life expectancy, your Roamer will deliver stable, high power with every cycle. Our additional factory and warehouse testing processes ensure the highest possible quality and because we believe in our product, we back everything with a 10 year warranty.
To ensure maximum lifespan, every 230SEATBASE3 comes with a state-of-the-art internal Battery Management System (BMS) with Active Balancing - developed specifically for Roamer to support high power off-grid living.

A front row seat to uninterrupted adventure​

The 230SEATBASE3 is the newest version of our original low-profile LiFePO4 battery - designed for installation under a campervan swivel seat. We’ve used the same A+ grade matched cells and high-power BMS as our flagship 460 SMART3, allowing us to fit massive amounts of capacity into a case that is actually smaller than the previous model. With a continuous charge/discharge rate of 250A, you can power any domestic appliance up to 3200W via an inverter.
The upgraded BMS actively balances all internal cells, and also supports installation of multiple 230SEATBASE3 batteries in series or parallel - with auto balancing for parallel connected batteries. It provides a complete range of protections including low temperature charging.

With great power comes great responsibility​

Roamer exists because we wanted the very best batteries for our own off-grid adventures. In our relentless pursuit of building the best, each and every battery is rigorously tested and checked before we ship it to you. Inside the box you’ll find our quality guarantee sticker and factory test certificate. We also do everything humanly possible to ensure that our batteries are manufactured, tested, distributed, and delivered in the most environmentally sustainable way possible. Our batteries are also built to be serviced, repaired or upgraded as required, thereby reducing waste and maximising the life of raw materials used.

Safety First​

Here at Roamer, we take safety extremely seriously and strive to make the safest LiFePO4 batteries possible. It is no secret that Lithium can be dangerous and whilst LiFePo4 is without doubt, the safest option, it is still not without risk. And that’s why we go above and beyond on both compulsory and voluntary extensive safety tests and processes. We choose to test every single battery before it leaves the factory by cycling to 100% and 0% and applying a high charge and discharge load to identify potentially faulty cells and connections, test BMS performance and verify cell balance at the top and bottom of the voltage-charge cycle. Our SMART3 batteries use only traceable branded cells from reputable manufacturers with lab test reports to verify battery safety as part of the EN 61619 certification. Finally, our product and fulfilment services also meet the courier requirements to ship Dangerous Goods under the UN3480 certification. Find out more about the steps we have taken to ensure maximum safety here.

1690539525511.png

New user guide:

I've now fitted the 230SB3 in the T6, . . .

the Gen2 230SB is now in the battery box for portable power.

with both of these battery's i can now call upon 460Ah worth of Lifepo4 power.

that should see us through . . . . . .

+++++++++++++++++

check em out . . .

+++++++++++++++++

Roamer on T6Forum - @RoamerBatteries

+++++++++++++++++

@Dellmassive @RoamerBatteries .guys my seatbase 230gen2 has been flawless since install I love the thing would recommend to anyone.

This morn it was cold here, first time for a long while.............so because I can........... I checked the low temp disconnect.all good charging off at 0C discharging on.all as it should be.

A few hours later temp on Roamer app still reading 0C charging has come on.do I have a problem??? .....should that not happen until +5C has been reached?

Guys to refresh I have victron 12 12 30 Orion Tr smart of little relevance here( I switch that on manually) EHU via a victron mains charger.which frankly I never use...and 250W of solar running through a 12 /100 victron MPPT.which is my main concern as obviously when da sun comes up that gig starts harvesting and shouldn't my BMS be blocking that until my SB is warm enough IE 5C?

Second Q.question..............is there a 12V heat source...maybe something like a heat pad I could sit underneath my roamer battery to warm it up..............maybe coupled into a temp sensing relay W1209? to switch on and off? @Dellmassive .is there a gizmo to bring a phototactic response into the equation?

To extrapolate:.........my roamer sits on VW's original rubber mat and under that there's a layer of dodo thermoliner and deadn.but my battery stays COLD !!!! for a long time.even with my wallas running or the T5's heater running.

Therefore in winter bar running a 230V 1000W kettle.which basically i've noted tends to knock the battery up by aprox 5degreesC I am struggling to get the batt up to temp where I can charge it .

Running a 230 ketttle off grid is cool an all but it#s not a terribly energy efficient way, I would guess, of getting my battery to a temperature where it can be charged.

Many thanks both

take care

stu

@Dellmassive @RoamerBatteries .guys my seatbase 230gen2 has been flawless since install I love the thing would recommend to anyone.

This morn it was cold here, first time for a long while.............so because I can........... I checked the low temp disconnect.all good charging off at 0C discharging on.all as it should be.

A few hours later temp on Roamer app still reading 0C charging has come on.do I have a problem??? .....should that not happen until +5C has been reached?

Guys to refresh I have victron 12 12 30 Orion Tr smart of little relevance here( I switch that on manually) EHU via a victron mains charger.which frankly I never use...and 250W of solar running through a 12 /100 victron MPPT.which is my main concern as obviously when da sun comes up that gig starts harvesting and shouldn't my BMS be blocking that until my SB is warm enough IE 5C?

Second Q.question..............is there a 12V heat source...maybe something like a heat pad I could sit underneath my roamer battery to warm it up..............maybe coupled into a temp sensing relay W1209? to switch on and off? @Dellmassive .is there a gizmo to bring a phototactic response into the equation?

To extrapolate:.........my roamer sits on VW's original rubber mat and under that there's a layer of dodo thermoliner and deadn.but my battery stays COLD !!!! for a long time.even with my wallas running or the T5's heater running.

Therefore in winter bar running a 230V 1000W kettle.which basically i've noted tends to knock the battery up by aprox 5degreesC I am struggling to get the batt up to temp where I can charge it .

Running a 230 ketttle off grid is cool an all but it#s not a terribly energy efficient way, I would guess, of getting my battery to a temperature where it can be charged.

Many thanks both

take care

stu
got any screen shots of the APP?

Cold Temp Charge blocking is 0degc and the clear is CTCC +5degc.

with mine. . . if been very cold over night. . .

the battery inside the van is always a good few degrees higher than the outside.

and even when its 0 or below inside the van, as soon as the engine is running/driving, within 5mins the heaters kicj in and start warming the inside.

so im normally charging again within 30min or so.

1701002112183.png1701002121770.png1701002130226.png

The BMS settings show charge blocking below 0degc,

and release at +5degc

1701002180772.png

@Soundz I've got a double pole switch on the incoming pair from the solar panels which I leave turned off when not using our camper during winter.
I have a main isolator on the Roamer too which I leave turned off when not using the van or during really cold weather.
Have to admit I'm sure the battery disconnected itself about three weeks back when we were leaving for Scotland early on a Sunday morning and assumed it was feeling the cold although. I'm sure the outside temp was above 5 C but then the van is parked in the shade on the north facing side of the house so better safe than sorry and turned the battery isolator back off for the journey and back on later in the day with normal service returned.
If using the van during winter there will have to be a rethink and some sort of pre use heating regime.

Hey Stu, we’d need to check the parameters on the battery… it’s possible it’s set slightly differently on yours. Can you please email us at support@roamer.com and we can check for you?
Of course Steve will get back to you in the morn thanks as always for the great back up.great products and great customer care is rare today. Every thing seems right Steve batt hasn't missed a beat it's just this low temp thing is bugging me !!

@Soundz I've got a double pole switch on the incoming pair from the solar panels which I leave turned off when not using our camper during winter.
I have a main isolator on the Roamer too which I leave turned off when not using the van or during really cold weather.
Have to admit I'm sure the battery disconnected itself about three weeks back when we were leaving for Scotland early on a Sunday morning and assumed it was feeling the cold although. I'm sure the outside temp was above 5 C but then the van is parked in the shade on the north facing side of the house so better safe than sorry and turned the battery isolator back off for the journey and back on later in the day with normal service returned.
If using the van during winter there will have to be a rethink and some sort of pre use heating regime.
Buddy I also have a DP isolator and main isolator on batt mind we are year round campers and I'm constantly using the free power from the solar to charge all manner of batteries from camera batts powertool batts via the inverter to phones ipad type contraptions.

Frosty I am not a sparky but I'd recommend everyone with solar to add in a DP isolator it just makes life so simple if one has to do anything. Yes or course I can switch it off when cold and stop the PV charging the Roamer. tis just another benefit of having that isolator in place .....but I'm more interested in knowing why what I saw yesterday is happening . Dellmassive .is it Lee? has shown us roamer's BMS in action in this thread providing a low temp cut off and then reinstatement of charge at 5C . I could potentially disable victrons MPPT using a temp sensor and my BMV 712, and the VE smart network but am already using the B1 B2 terminals on the smart shunt and TBH is would be a PITA to impliment

Lets see where Steve takes this once we have had a chat .I know the low temp cut off works,tis the exact point, temp wise , that charging comes of that is worrying me

@Dellmassive
got any screen shots of the APP?

Cold Temp Charge blocking is 0degc and the clear is CTCC +5degc.

with mine. . . if been very cold over night. . .

the battery inside the van is always a good few degrees higher than the outside.

and even when its 0 or below inside the van, as soon as the engine is running/driving, within 5mins the heaters kicj in and start warming the inside.

so im normally charging again within 30min or so.

View attachment 221125View attachment 221126View attachment 221127

The BMS settings show charge blocking below 0degc,

and release at +5degc

View attachment 221128

Is your name Lee mate?
I'm a bit primitive I can barely work a smart phone I use my lady's phone to watch all our blue tooth gizmos in the bus both Roamer and victron.so forgive me I can't provide a screen shot................I also can't access the parameter settings via the code Roamer provide so can't confirm my CTCC and CTC values are the same as yours ringed in yellow above

I can access the details page and the protection status page I can confirm I had UTC1 on earlier today ,but just a few mins ago that was gone.

Yesterday on the first page first thing in the morn temp reading 0C the LH box below the round clock type gauge " charging on" was greyed out as expected. But it came back on while the app was still reading 0C not 5C ..mind Steve might know something I don't from his reply

bless ya for the speedy reply .....................I'll come back as Ii learn more because it might help someone else

Guys sorry unable to enter forum yesterday, no idea why

Steve from Roamer steered me through a few things yesterday.as always can't thank him enough for the time and patience. Steve might word this better than me @RoamerBatteries ,but basically my battt is configured as @Dellmassive 's above re parameters....we think the app is seeing no real charge come in bar a smidge from the solar early in the day.....but I was discharging not a huge amount......so basically I saw both charging on and discharging on at 0 degrees C because the app isn't seeing a charge because it's tiny.

With time and the right conditions IE low temps I will add my Orion 12 12 30 into the equation, I wired mine slightly different to the norm using the h and l connection points and a dash switch so I can simply flick a switch on see what the app displays and back off. Steve's conclusions were if charge on does not grey out then , then plausibly I might have a problem?

Steve I hope I've explained that right....as a layman, that looks hard, I don't think there is anything wrong with my battery, but we will see what time brings.I need cold and time which I don't have right now to replicate the conditions I saw a few days back

An add on I'm running a T5 2006 200 000 K....................maybe my heating IE VW's heating on a 2006 bus is not the same as your later T6's.and that explains why my battery gets cold.or stays cold for longer than Dellmassive's? When I get time i'm hoping to add a bit more insulation under the Roamer battery.............

afterall I make images of wildlife we like negative space us togs, my whole van build relied on that concept of neg space so it seems workable.search "awkward" I'm a simple guy I just make bits 'o' wood smaller

THANK YOU STEVE !! hope my words make sense to the masses if not rejig for me please

stu

Can I add one more little thing............... times are hard here.so my roamer is still being used constantly to charge phones my camera batteries.I work sites.my power tool batteries head torch batteries..meh times hard or not I'd still do this hate being robbed by some energy baron

One of the things that came out of talking to Steve is maybe my battery is kept on the higher side ,charge wise, than ideal......... being honest in my case not overly concerned........ the 250W of solar just wacks amps in and I use them, but maybe it's worth posting this just for awareness . Many folks run smaller Li FE PO4 batteries in a T with a larger panel in the summer Stay Frosty's DP isolator makes more sense than ever !!

Back