Roamer LiFePO4 Gen2 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

It’s from a Victron smartshunt/BMV

For the chargers you just need to change the battery preset to lithium (LiFePO4). The IP22 has a Li-Ion profile on main page, ignore this and go into advanced settings to choose the LiFePO4 mode.
is it as simple as that Steve...for the orion and MPPT I only adjust from factory preset to Li Fe PO4.nowt else?

My battery arrived last week, am now mulling over how I'm going to mount it under the seat. Has anyone else installed theirs yet and how did you do it?

My battery arrived last week, am now mulling over how I'm going to mount it under the seat. Has anyone else installed theirs yet and how did you do it?
Welcome Matty..mate ii'm closing on it.but not really applicable to you as this is a T5 base.......but maybe there's some ideas for you as it's the same size as your battery..........I'd guess by mount you mean secure in place?

52272539341_071982e4ea_o.jpg_S2I2521 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @Soundz so far I put the battery in place just to see what it's like and the floor is uneven and there is a bolt right in the middle sticking up from the floor. This makes me not want to just place it on the floor, but lift it up somehow. I guess I have two things to figure out:
1. A base to put it on
2. how to secure it down to stop it moving.

I've seen the trays for the usual size battery like this one Volkswagen (VW) T5 T6 Leisure Battery Tray / Holder and have wondered if I could butcher that for this. I like the idea that it uses the seat bolts to hold it all down.

I think holding it down will be fairly simple; some kind of bar across the top with threaded rod secured below. So just what to sit it on is the issue.

I'll probably just keep pondering for a while until I figure something out or someone comes up with a much better idea than I would have thought of!

Matty I'm stu (and slightly bonkers forgive me that)....right buddy you are new so have a dig for the seat base electrics thread.forgive me I'm rushing I think its a how WE done it in Del's threads "How I done it" threads in this section ....if you can't find it I'll dig for you later. ........... but look at those anyway they are a mine of info Fair play to Dell. ( massive)

I have the same bolt Matt, on a T5.it's an earth bolt.....i simply cut it off....they are situated all over the van cab floor I think covered the cut with something called Zinga it's a cold gavanising product

I have actually packed the rear of the battery on the underside to lift it with some really dense foam just to lift it a tad..........also kept rubber matt preddy much intact ..also I have sound deadened the cab floor and partially insulated it.....I put a degree of thought into that second layer the insulation....basically raising areas of the floor around where I knew..ha ha or thought I knew, I would run cables later on

Mate note the rubber channel i've glued with a structural adhesive all around the sharp SB edges as an aside I think this might be a real asset to you as it was me

I made a dummy battery out of wood slightly oversize,2 reasons one so I could progress with my build in a pretty precise way before the battery landed and have a physical thing to work around,2nd 'cause I'm lazy and couldn't be doing with lifting batt in and out multiple times.too much like hard work ;)

I''ve cobbled up a bit of left over oak work top which holds my isolator Matt ha ok I had to have a walnut ring in there too 'cause I'm me.:D..my planned design to really secure batt in place is goiing to involve that OWT ^ it won't really be of help to you though and also the T5 and 6seat bases may differ size wise................so I can only help in a liimited way

Cool link Matt I kinda like making stuff.well put it this way I've always needed to make stuff to save money I didn't have to spend anyway I've taken the same approach with my ickle camper build

Not as much help as I'd liike.................but it's a start for ya hey mate.?.....all the luck in the world buddy

stu

@RoamerBatteries.........Steve sorry to keep bothering you.( particularly on sundays.grafting all hours my humbles)....an as always huge thanks for all the help :thumbsup: Mate,the BMS low voltage cut off is 11V......that's correct isn't it? So a couple of Q's to do with that

First you say to completely discharge the batt a couple of times to allow the vic smart shunt to sink up...is that simply discharge until the BMS cuts power to the cells? Do I really need to push it that far?

Second very related to that....what's the figure I set my 12 1200 vic pheonix VE direct inverter for.............. again it's low voltage cut off.

My leaning is that figure should be higher than the 11V of the BMS as I don't really want to push my super new battery to the extremes...even though your fab BMS offers me protection against low voltages.kinda seems illogical?

many thanks

stu

@RoamerBatteries.........Steve sorry to keep bothering you.( particularly on sundays.grafting all hours my humbles)....an as always huge thanks for all the help :thumbsup: Mate,the BMS low voltage cut off is 11V......that's correct isn't it? So a couple of Q's to do with that

First you say to completely discharge the batt a couple of times to allow the vic smart shunt to sink up...is that simply discharge until the BMS cuts power to the cells? Do I really need to push it that far?

Second very related to that....what's the figure I set my 12 1200 vic pheonix VE direct inverter for.............. again it's low voltage cut off.

My leaning is that figure should be higher than the 11V of the BMS as I don't really want to push my super new battery to the extremes...even though your fab BMS offers me protection against low voltages.kinda seems illogical?

many thanks

stu
Sorry Stu, just seen this.

Yes 11.0V is low voltage cutoff.

No need to discharge in order to sync your Victron, you can charge to 100% or simply go into settings and manually change it to match BMS.

I wouldn’t worry too much about phoenix cutoff but if you want to set this then remember voltage will drop under load. So maybe 11.5V is fine

Thanks for the comeback Steve it's ok it's a few days on mate we are all busy folks my feet ain't touched the ground an i'm on hols :thumbsup: 11.5 seems logical thank you

Ok I'll try and sync manually see where that gets me. I'm still building me camper Steve, so haven't taxed the battery yet.............but the lovely thing is all my 18V tools ( I work in construction so tools are my livelyhood) that are making our camper van are now powered by your battery an the sun an this blue stuff

Ha damn I love that a camper powering it's own build..that's so cool:D

take care mate thanks for getting back

stu

just the update on the above . . . .

( the van being left for 3 weeks with a low sub 500mA load switched on - which caused a SoC drift from the battery BMS and Shunt data)

The BMS drift showed 46% and 92%.

( FYI - this can happen on all large lithium batterys with very low loads)

after a couple of days charging via the Renogy DC50s the Roamer is again fully charged.

++

both BMS and shunt are now showing 100% and we are back to normal operation.

this is only a temporary effect and you can see it took 3weeks to drift, and two days to correct its self.

this wont be an issue over long weekends or or even weeks if the van is driven causing a dc-dc charger to recharge & reset anyway.

you will only notice this on extended stays with a very low consumption - ie van parked up alone in storage, with no charge source.

View attachment 158135View attachment 158136View attachment 158137

+++

I've had a few people asking me what im using for the stand alone shunt ( That i run alongside the lithium batterys):

im using the Victron Smart shunt:

this is Bluetooth so connects to the victron app on your phone.

View attachment 158138

+++

for the battery, check out ROAMER:

View attachment 158139View attachment 158141View attachment 158140View attachment 158142
I am faffing with my Roamer under seat (Gen 1) battery which has a different BMS, but I am getting a reasonable imbalance in cell voltage during the absorption stage. This is largely because my battery sat for 12 months before installation.

Roamer are being very helpful and I am talking to them to resolve my imbalance (To the batteries, not my state of mind!)

I wondered if you guys could tell me what sort of "Delta" figure you guys are seeing when your battery is in the absorption stage when charging? (What i mean is the difference between the lowest and highest (EG: The Delta from your post was 0.239, what sort of numbers do you regularly see now that things have clamed down? How many cycles did it take for yours to calm down?

I am also interested to see what this Delta figure falls to during float charge at 13.5V?

1662194692127.png

With Roamer's help mine is starting to calm down, but I just wondered what is normal and what to aim for?

DING DING Round#2

so here it is the V2 version of the Gen2 230 SB. (probably easier to just say Roamer have tweaked the gen 2 model)

12V 230SB Gen2-V2 - 230AH SEATBASE LIFEPO4​

ref:

@Dellmassive
@RoamerBatteries

+++++++++++

10% PREORDER DISCOUNT INCLUDED. DELIVERY 15th OCTOBER

+++++++++++

1662403187413.png

+++++++++++

so its finally here:

this is what @RoamerBatteries has to say about the V2 version . . . . .

- it’s a tweaked version of the gen 2 batteries – same cells and BMS but build quality and factory QC is much improved.

- We obviously changed the handles – hopefully these look a lot nicer than the welded top mounted ones. The BMS bracket tidies up the internals but also allows us to easily swap out the BMS under warranty if needed.

- Dimensions are also different – its now 330mm x 280mm x 180mm instead of 305mm x 290mm x 180mm. Internally we’ve shifted the BMS to the front which allows us to fit in the side handles and still allow space to reduce width slightly (apparently the new T6.1 seatbase is narrower – 289mm! between the floor mount rails).

- We were already using grade A+ cells which is a fancy way of saying they are brand new grade A cells but matched by resistance and capacity before install. The improvement on this model is we now get the factory to load test the completed packs and also test the top and bottom balance of the cells. A ‘pass’ on the top balance is when the pack reaches 14.2V with all cells between 3.5V and 3.65V. Similarly a ‘pass’ on bottom balance is discharging to 10.5V with all cells between 2.5V and 2.7V. We get them to video each battery test and document test results matched to the serial number so we can check this later if needed.

+++++++

official spec:

KEY DETAILS​

• Nominal capacity of 230Ah at 12.8V
  • Up to 250A continuous charge/discharge
  • 500A peak charge/discharge (10 seconds)
  • Connect up to 4 batteries in series or parallel
  • Compact and lightweight - just 20kg
  • Integrated Roamer BMS Bluetooth App
  • Low temp charge protection

DESCRIPTION

The 230SEATBASE2 is the original low profile LiFePO4 battery designed for installation under a campervan swivel seat. We’ve used the same compact cells and high power BMS as our flagship 460Ah, allowing us to us to fit a massive amount of capacity into a case that is actually smaller than the previous model. It can deliver a continuous charge/discharge rate of 250A, enough to power a two ring induction hob (or any other domestic appliance) via an inverter (max 3200W).

The upgraded BMS will passively balance all internal cells, and also support installation of up to 4 x 230SEATBASE batteries in series or parallel (one under each seat) with auto balancing for parallel connected batteries. It also provides a complete range of protections including low temperature charging.

Roamer BMS App Integration

The Roamer BMS Bluetooth app allows you to monitor and configure your battery in real time using any iOS or Android device. You can view real time information on the state of charge, cell voltages and power usage, view and edit detailed parameters, and quickly identify problems with the integrated alarms.

Electrical Installation

The 230SEATBASE2 is designed as a drop in lead-acid replacement and can be installed in almost any campervan, motorhome or boat. Terminals are M8 steel bolts (supplied with the battery along with washers and spring rings). You should ensure that any connected chargers are compatible with LiFePO4 batteries and configured correctly.

+++

WARRANTY​

• 10 year warranty from date of shipment
  • Covers manufacturing faults, cell and BMS failures (terms apply)

TECH SPECIFICATION​

• Nominal Capacity
    230Ah
  • Nominal Voltage
    12.8V
  • Max Charge Voltage
    14.6V
  • Recommended Charge Voltage
    14.2V
  • Recommended Float Voltage
    13.5V
  • Max Cont. Discharge
    250A
  • Peak Discharge (10s)
    500A
  • Dimensions
    330mm L x 280mm W x 180mm H
  • Weight
    21Kg

++++++++

++++++++

well thats the official word . .

lets have a look at my one . . . ( #Very_Exited )

the packaging this time around is much improved, with a sturdy box, good quality foam packing and suitable side handles to carry.

this is one heavy battery at 21Kgs

1662403911938.png

there's a nice surprise waiting for you inside . . .

1662403939208.png

spoiler alert - contents below :

1662403963616.png

getting the battery out, we see the new improved design.

1662404032285.png

gone are the welded top handles and replaced with stylish integrated black side handles. . .

1662404079084.png

the front panel has all the info you need to know . . .

1662404333166.png
there is a new format for the BT BMS . . . .

which shows MAKE-MODEL-SERIAL.

we also have the same M8 Bolt terminals that come with supplied covers. . .

1662404396789.png

That's the end of the official unboxing. . . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now Nobody tell Steve or Chris about this, as I'm about to invalidate my 10year warranty.

i just had to see the internal improvements myself . . . . (and show you guys how good this battery is)

This wipes out your warranty, also lithium cells can be very dangerous, - SO, DO NOT DO THIS (I've done it for you) !!!!

opening up the unit, . . .

we see the NEW BMS BRACKET,

The BT Module is also mounted on one side.

The cells are spaced in from the sides to accommodate the new handles,

1662404792448.png

1662404915972.png

the main terminals are connected to the BMS via FOUR 8AWG 200C silicone cables ( this battery is rated 250/500A )

1662404973171.png

++

at the bottom we have glued connections for the

BT Module,
4+1 cell taps
Temp sensors.

1662405082212.png

under the BMS you can see the GRADE A PRISMATIC cells with fibre board insulators.

1662405180514.png

overall I'm impressed with the built quality and improvements . . . ( nice work @RoamerBatteries )

1662405231932.png

once again - DO NOT DO THIS.

OK - next up the install . . . . . . . . . . . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

more details:

10% PREORDER DISCOUNT INCLUDED. DELIVERY 15th OCTOBER

++++

1662405481303.png

1662405430056.png1662405444428.png1662405459249.png1662405452583.png

Last edited:

12V 230SB Gen2-V2 - 230AH SEATBASE LIFEPO4​

- THE INSTALL -

i had a Renogy 100Ah Smart in the seatbase, that needed to be removed. . .

1662405632774.png

once out we had some space to play with . . .

1662405660432.png

dropping the battery in, you can see its a bit longer front to back,

and slightly narrower side to side . . .

1662405711385.png

height wise we are about the same. . .

1662405755362.png

the other seatbase we have the dc-dc charger and inverter etc . . . .

1662405811237.png

+++

Battery is in . . .

now for some testing. . .

first up is the ROAMER APP . . .

we see the battery broadcasting its ID,

1662405889662.png

we have a current SOC of 75% . . . and rest voltage of 13.27v

1662405911990.png

the details tab gives us extra info . . .

1662405946611.png

all the protections show clear . . .

1662405967856.png

running the van we see 45A charge via the Renogy 50A dc-dc charger. . .

1662406013464.png

the readings are confirmed with the Victron BMV712. . .

1662406044749.png

checking the Renogy settings . . . 50A current

1662406074064.png

we can change to 30A . . .

1662406108818.png
so we have a lesser charge to ease the battery in . . .

1662406142810.png

again confirmed with the ROAMER APP . .

1662406164631.png

. .

well run the battery through a few cycles and give an update . . .

1662406227252.png

1662406266194.png

++++++

Last edited:
Big News from Team Roamer . . . . .

First of all they have a brand spanking new website (drumroll please) -

@RoamerBatteries

1671712870272.png

secondly the long awaited Gen3 battery is announced. . .

Roamer are calling it :

The new 3rd generation SMART range of batteries

"These new batteries are a solid upgrade – several models have had a capacity boost (eg 200Ah is now 230Ah and 300Ah is now 320Ah) and we added active balancing and inverter precharge protection to the BMS. They’re now built in serviceable cases too so can be repaired and upgraded as part of our sustainability work and the internal build quality is spot on."

1671713080830.png

now with:

Active Balancing​

Our premium active balancing module is a first in the UK market. Keep your battery cells finely balanced with no energy losses, access the full available capacity, and extend the useful life of your battery. Cell balancing is an essential feature of every Battery Management System (BMS) but most BMS use passive balancing as its simpler and cheaper. Active balancing involves moving charge from one cell to another rather than simply burning off the excess charge through a resistor, making it more efficient and able to balance cells even when the battery is discharging. With a balancing current of up to 2000mA compared to the typical 50mA found on other BMS, the new Roamer SMART battery can also handle a wider range of charge voltages and is less prone to cell voltage drift that can develop as a result of incorrect charging.

++

Serviceable. Repairable. Upgradeable

As part of our journey towards a more sustainable model and to underline our commitment to sustainability, we designed our new SMART batteries to be fully serviceable, repairable and upgradeable. Combined with free ROAMERCARE you get complete peace of mind that your battery will live a long and happy life. ROAMERCARE offers service guarantees for the life of your battery but also provides the opportunity to upgrade at any point so you don’t need to worry about missing out on future BMS developments - our modular design allows for simple repairs and BMS swaps. It’s so simple, you could even do it yourself on the road.

+++

With great power comes great responsibility​

Roamer exists because we wanted the very best batteries for our own off-grid adventures. In our relentless pursuit of building the best, each and every battery is rigorously tested and checked before we ship it to you. Inside the box you’ll find our quality guarantee sticker and factory test certificate. We also do everything humanly possible to ensure that our batteries are manufactured, tested, distributed, and delivered in the most environmentally sustainable way possible. Our batteries are also built to be serviced, repaired or upgraded as required, thereby reducing waste and maximising the life of raw materials used.

+++

Think outside. No box required.​

Venturing out into the wilderness requires total confidence in your gear. And that’s why it’s our mission to make off-grid batteries with unrivalled build quality. We start with the highest quality Grade A+ cells and a custom high power BMS, then add precision-engineered brackets, flexible copper busbars, and serviceable IP65 cases. Open up a Roamer battery and you'll immediately notice the difference in quality compared to our competitors. Backed by rigorous testing processes and our 10 year warranty - consider our mission accomplished.

+++

10 year warranty

+++

Grade A+ LiFePO4
Professional grade A+ matched LiFePO4 cells from CATL - the number one lithium battery cell manufacturer in the world. Only the best components go into a Roamer battery.

+++

Advanced BMS
Our innovative custom BMS includes over/under voltage, high/low temperature, short circuit and over current protection plus active cell balancing - all seamlessly monitored via Bluetooth.

+++

Unrivalled power
Go gas free with up to 2.5x the power of other lithium battery brands. Power any inverter up to 3200W and run any appliance off grid - including an induction hob, air fryer or kettle.

+++

Surge protection
Every Roamer battery now includes a precharge resistor to protect your battery BMS from high surge currents that can be induced by connection of large inverters or other capacitive loads.

+++

I've already got my name down for the Gen3 230SEATBASE3 (jan23 ETA) ( @RoamerBatteries )

1671713263452.png

1671713281896.png

The Roamer 230SEATBASE3 uses the very best Grade A+ matched CATL cells and comes assembled with precision-engineered brackets, laser-welded cell connections, flexible copper busbars and an IP65 waterproof case.

Maintaining excellent balance throughout its 15 year life expectancy, your Roamer will deliver stable, high power with every cycle. Our additional factory and warehouse testing processes ensure the highest possible quality and because we believe in our product, we back everything with a 10 year warranty.

To ensure maximum lifespan, every 230SEATBASE3 comes with a state-of-the-art internal Battery Management System (BMS) with Active Balancing - developed specifically for Roamer to support high power off-grid living.

1671713190985.png

+++

check em out:

+++

Last edited:
blimey 10 year warranty thats got to be worth every penny as long as the small print isnt a cop out

blimey 10 year warranty thats got to be worth every penny as long as the small print isnt a cop out
I can't see Roamer being other than genuine Dave, ha maybe I'm just too trusting ,we have a 230 SB from them Steve an Chris have been very patient with me. they just seem like decent good folks

Worth every penny made I smile.....a grand was a massive sum for us to find.we are a bit bargain basement still pinching ourselves we have a campervan( early T5) at all..maybe it's taken us 2 or 3 years to slowly buy all the leccy gizmos for our little off grid type bus. But that ten year thing is sort of beguiling.see that is £100 a year battery wise. Dave I never saw how much our house hold energy bills were going to rise.ha it was always coming anyone can see that but as fast as it's happened frankly has shocked probably many of us certainly me.

So now while my little bus sits on our drive waiting for me to finish off the build the 160 watt panel on the roof chugs away filling up the big old lump of a battery. I've essentially got all this free power sitting there.

So we have taken to charging all my power tools ( I work in construction ) head torches phones I pad thing camera batteries in the bus. Now sure they are all little items but they all run now for free rather than me using the grid and paying through the nose for that energy it's free. Say I save 30p a day where does that lead one over ten years?

What makes me smile is if that free energy that now charges all my battery gizmos over a year equates to more than £100 and me Roamers lasts for 10 years.then essentially I'd have not spent any money on the battery.........and that's not using the van as a camper and all the fun therein................

That's just from an off shoot of haviing installed the bus with a blumming big efficient battery and a decent solar panel.

I've probably written something like this before here I'm frankly stunned by it all.It simply never occured to me how much this little offgrid system would fold back into my daily life.........hmm I just wanted a shed load of redundancy when camping so my fridge would always start ;)

there ya go Dave .........hmm well they say that folks on transporter forums are good at spending other folks money, buy a roamer if it lasts ten years you'll save yourself a shillin' or 2

QED:rofl:

I can't see Roamer being other than genuine Dave, ha maybe I'm just too trusting ,we have a 230 SB from them Steve an Chris have been very patient with me. they just seem like decent good folks

Worth every penny made I smile.....a grand was a massive sum for us to find.we are a bit bargain basement still pinching ourselves we have a campervan( early T5) at all..maybe it's taken us 2 or 3 years to slowly buy all the leccy gizmos for our little off grid type bus. But that ten year thing is sort of beguiling.see that is £100 a year battery wise. Dave I never saw how much our house hold energy bills were going to rise.ha it was always coming anyone can see that but as fast as it's happened frankly has shocked probably many of us certainly me.

So now while my little bus sits on our drive waiting for me to finish off the build the 160 watt panel on the roof chugs away filling up the big old lump of a battery. I've essentially got all this free power sitting there.

So we have taken to charging all my power tools ( I work in construction ) head torches phones I pad thing camera batteries in the bus. Now sure they are all little items but they all run now for free rather than me using the grid and paying through the nose for that energy it's free. Say I save 30p a day where does that lead one over ten years?

What makes me smile is if that free energy that now charges all my battery gizmos over a year equates to more than £100 and me Roamers lasts for 10 years.then essentially I'd have not spent any money on the battery.........and that's not using the van as a camper and all the fun therein................

That's just from an off shoot of haviing installed the bus with a blumming big efficient battery and a decent solar panel.

I've probably written something like this before here I'm frankly stunned by it all.It simply never occured to me how much this little offgrid system would fold back into my daily life.........hmm I just wanted a shed load of redundancy when camping so my fridge would always start ;)

there ya go Dave .........hmm well they say that folks on transporter forums are good at spending other folks money, buy a roamer if it lasts ten years you'll save yourself a shillin' or 2

QED:rofl:
awesome write up thank you!
thats a good shout using it to charge items off the solar. Im sure its only a matter of time before more and more people take to using them for domestic too. I have a chest freezer and fridge in the garage that would be great for a solar/batter combo... got me thinking now!

Back