Remap ..... Just Can’t Decide On Which One

teddy

Is there a past thread on here regarding Remapping or have any of you guys remapped your vehicle and the consequences with regard pros & cons plus warranty/insurance etc. Thanks

Not sure many, if any have tried on Euro 6'2 yet? I'd be interested to hear results if anyone has too.

Remap Yes nice idea always had Remaps on all my cars/vans
BUT
will the Warranty be Null and Void if theres a problem ?
This did happen to a friend when his DSG box failed under warranty
They said sorry sir Go Away (Audi Dealer)

I have had a number if cars remapped by Superchips in Buckingham. Never had an issue with warranty. The installer always said that because you are not replacing a physical chip; more recoding what is already there, it can't be "seen". You should always tell your insurer though.
The first car I had done was a 6 month old A4, and it was actually the dealer that introduced me to the concept. It was a 104ps but I wanted the 130ps, but the dealer did not have one and i was looking for an ex-demo. So to tempt me into the sale they said I could get it remapped, and they even took it there for me before I picked it up. So they clearly weren't too fussed about it.
Equally, the remappers say that it causes no issues for the vehicle as long as it remains within certain tolerance's, and the UK models are de-tuned anyway.

I have had a number if cars remapped by Superchips in Buckingham. Never had an issue with warranty. The installer always said that because you are not replacing a physical chip; more recoding what is already there, it can't be "seen". You should always tell your insurer though.
The first car I had done was a 6 month old A4, and it was actually the dealer that introduced me to the concept. It was a 104ps but I wanted the 130ps, but the dealer did not have one and i was looking for an ex-demo. So to tempt me into the sale they said I could get it remapped, and they even took it there for me before I picked it up. So they clearly weren't too fussed about it.
Equally, the remappers say that it causes no issues for the vehicle as long as it remains within certain tolerance's, and the UK models are de-tuned anyway.

Errrmm, do you think the remappers might be a wee bit biased?! Do they think the UK A45 Merc with almost 400bhp from a tiny 2.0 engine is "de-tuned?" TBH I think 201bhp from a 2.0 diesel is pushing it quite far.
I wouldn't touch a remapped car with a bargepole, nor would many others. "Hiding" one come re-sale or servicing (or insurance) is deceitful, dishonest and likely to cause major headaches for the next owner.
Almost no one upgrades brakes, suspension, gearbox or anything to deal with the extra power; in the "old" days of tuning, all were upgraded in line with power increases. Remap something with the already weak 5 speed VW box and you are simply asking for trouble.
Push a DSG box too hard and you're asking for trouble.

Remapping is part of the "must have it now" society of easy fixes without thought for the long term issues. I know plenty who have remapped a car/van and it's led to non stop disasters. Failed turbos, gearbox trouble, all sorts.

All I can say is based upon my own personal experience, and it's never caused a problem, and every time led to better fuel efficiency as well. Equally, when the vehicle was sold the purchaser was informed of the remap. It is then up to them what they choose to do about it in terms of resale and insurance.

Interesting views..
My ford galaxy is remapped
Missis skoda roomster is remapped
My A8 was remapped (sold now with map on and the guy was pleased)
never had an issue...
BUT
as i said my friend S6 was mapped (gearbox failed)
he de-mapped it and took to Audi for repair under warranty
Audi knew it had been mapped and even knew the map was removed the day after the gearbox failed !

Interesting views..
My ford galaxy is remapped
Missis skoda roomster is remapped
My A8 was remapped (sold now with map on and the guy was pleased)
never had an issue...
BUT
as i said my friend S6 was mapped (gearbox failed)
he de-mapped it and took to Audi for repair under warranty
Audi knew it had been mapped and even knew the map was removed the day after the gearbox failed !

Seems that they can tell after all.

A well respected remap guy near me said that they all alter the maximum boost from the turbo and this is logged in the vehicle so as soon as they plug it in and check the figures it shows that it's been working above factory setting.

204ps is fine for me, it's personal choice but I would never remap under warranty unless manufacturer approved, for me it's just not worth the risk.
Volvo approve Polestar conversions under warranty surprised VW don't offer a service?

If a remap was safe, surely the manufacturer would do this, especially as mpg is generally increased?

Vw don't need to do it. They already have the same engine with 3 different maps.
The 102ps is the best seller.

For example a t26 84ps panel van otr price is £23,678. A t26 102ps panel van otr price is £24,813. The only difference is the map on the engine.

:rofl:

A typical remap is £395. Where is the logic in buying the 102ps....... all manufactures release engines capable of so much more. It comes down to a compromise of emissions, price gap cost and competition.

I personally don't give a monkeys about warrenty. By the time I have attached to get a problem fixed usually not asap I lose £300-400 a day in business where's I can get my local garage to do it quicker and less loss of earning to me.

I want a Euro 6 remap asap.

hi all

I don’t normally fiddle with maps but who do you
Recommend for a 150 remap my van is a 67 plate T6

Thanks

I'm thinking of doing the same to my 66 plate. I've just been reading about the drawbacks regarding warranty and stuff.
But I've come to the conclusion that as for warranty work being void after a remap, it aint work a w**k anyway. By the time they've booked it in, assessed it, spoke to some nob from VW, I'd have been off the road a week. This is where I bite the bullet and get my mate Matt to fix it. ( Ex VW Mechanic)
That's my rant out the way! I've read that Pendle is the way forward. I'm in Wolves, anyone near me got any recommendations?

Another Pendle convert here :) The difference is amazing, have to say was like driving a new van. Loads better pickup and thro the gears, sooooo glad I got it done. (66 150)

Mine's a 65 plate 140 and comes off warranty end of the year soon so wondering of getting a remap.
Pendle has so many positive comments that I think that's where I'd go.

Back