Re-Mapping T6 Transporter

Griggsyboy

VIP Member
Hi folks,

We are looking at a VW 2017 T6 Transporter campervan (Transporter T26 Stln Tdi Bmt Tdi 84 Bluemotion SWB Euro6 Start/Stop) that appears to have only 83 or 84 BHP.

We haven't test driven it yet, but we assume 83 BHP for a campervan is incredibly slow and sluggish. I currently drive a Polo GTi (189 BHP) and my other half drives an Audi A5 (177 BHP). If we buy the van, we want to have it remapped to increase the BHP, but we are unsure what exactly we need to upgrade on the car to stop it from overheating or from burning out certain parts once remapped.

A) is remapping safe and worth it?, and B) What other parts should we replace to ensure the car lasts for as long as transporters last without the engine becoming burned out or overworked?

I did see a couple of threads on this subject, where one stated that REVO don't support a map for this engine type anymore. The software simply isn't available, which sounds like there has been problems with this before. However, Pendle seem to still offer a map for this van type and their map seems very good. They have even made a video on it:

Volkswagen Transporter T6 2.0TDI-CR (EUR 6) 84bhp - 2015 - 2018 - Pendle Performance

Any insight, including warnings to stay away, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Are you sure it's the right van for you?

A T26 doesn't allow for a great deal of payload as a conversion? Do you know how much it weighs before you put your knives and forks in?

Being a Startline, it will probably be a pretty basic spec. If you spend any amount of time here, you'll end up spending a fortune on 'upgrades', so it's often better to start with a higher spec van.

84PS. You are already cautiously considering remapping. Bear in mind that it's a 5-6 year old vehicle, that being the spec it is was most probably a trade hack for the 'boys to drive'. Apart from the way it may have been driven, what sort of history are the snazzy fixtures and fittings covering up?

Are you sure it's the right van for you?

A T26 doesn't allow for a great deal of payload as a conversion? Do you know how much it weighs before you put your knives and forks in?

Being a Startline, it will probably be a pretty basic spec. If you spend any amount of time here, you'll end up spending a fortune on 'upgrades', so it's often better to start with a higher spec van.

84PS. You are already cautiously considering remapping. Bear in mind that it's a 5-6 year old vehicle, that being the spec it is was most probably a trade hack for the 'boys to drive'. Apart from the way it may have been driven, what sort of history are the snazzy fixtures and fittings covering up?
Possibly not. We are trying to balance budget against spec at the moment. The van we are looking at ticks many of our boxes apart from the engine, which I imagine will be painfully slow. With a family of 4 in there, plus our bits & bobs, I imagine it'll feel extremely sluggish at just 83 BHP. The price is decent though, hence why we are thinking of getting it to upgrade it, i.e. mapping, turbo to handle mapping etc. Maybe we'll see it, test drive it and think no thanks anyway. At the moment, there are still a couple of conversion comapnies we are speaking to about converting one for us from scratch. Who would have thought that buying a camper would be this complicated! A nice problem to have though, hey!

I would think a family of four and a camper conversion would have a good chance of being over the weight limit of a t26 as previously mentioned.

I would think a family of four and a camper conversion would have a good chance of being over the weight limit of a t26 as previously mentioned.
Thanks for both of your comments chaps. I think we'll rule out this van and any T26 vans as a result. As dubber36 said, maybe this just isn't the right van for us! Back to the drawing board haha. Cheers...

Thanks for both of your comments chaps. I think we'll rule out this van and any T26 vans as a result. As dubber36 said, maybe this just isn't the right van for us! Back to the drawing board haha. Cheers...
We are in the process of getting a T6 T32 Trendline LWB, we are upgrading from a caddy maxi which is the same length as a SWB Transporter, there only me, the wife and our chocolate lab, but there wasn’t enough room in the caddy.
Just thought I’d mention it maybe with a family of four it might be worth looking at a LWB.

Back