Remap ..... Just Can’t Decide On Which One

Just tell her that you were going to buy the 204 which cost WAAAAYYY more money, but you always planned to get a 150 and have it chipped.
You could claim improved economy - but that seems to be minimal at best.

What I need to do is grow a pair, but easier said than done!
I may get better economy but I'm a bit of a 5AM motorway kind of bloke. 90MPH for 120miles each way so not sure anything would help my lead boot!

I called the guy at Pendal, customer service skills on the phone not great, didn’t seem helpfull when I asked questions, it was basically “I’m the best and no one can touch me!”
So I decided to stay with who I’ve used before - BHP UK, Mint job! And they can’t do enough to make sure your happy !!!
Highly recommend.

I'm still surprised that the DoT hasn't clamped down on remaps. They're all over decats and DPF removal yet turn a blind eye to the ECU being modified and screwing up the emissions.

I'm still surprised that the DoT hasn't clamped down on remaps. They're all over decats and DPF removal yet turn a blind eye to the ECU being modified and screwing up the emissions.

How do you think it would screw up emissions? It won't change the emissions but interested to know how you think it would.

Had a pendle on my t5. 1 140 up to 175 /400nm , done at 6k sold it at 61 k.
no problems over 4& 1/2 years.
It transformed the van, especially towing .

Remaps are not just about extra power.

I've had many vehicles done and it transforms how the power is put down, ironing out low spots through the revs.

My main work Vivaro is night and day nicer to drive since its remap, and the power was only increased by 18 bhp !.

I will get my 150ps DSG kombi done, and I'm certainly not worried about warranty.

Anyone with a remap got any examples of before and after insurance quotes from the same company? I know mine won’t quote if I had it done so I’d have to change but interested to know how much extra they fleece you for

Remaps are not just about extra power.

I've had many vehicles done and it transforms how the power is put down, ironing out low spots through the revs.

My main work Vivaro is night and day nicer to drive since its remap, and the power was only increased by 18 bhp !.

I will get my 150ps DSG kombi done, and I'm certainly not worried about warranty.
Why would you not be worried about warranty.....surely that has to be a major concern.....or is it just me? I think VW would be quick to reject a claim if they thought the motor had been tampered with and it wouldn't take much to run up a huge bill!

Why would you not be worried about warranty.....surely that has to be a major concern.....or is it just me? I think VW would be quick to reject a claim if they thought the motor had been tampered with and it wouldn't take much to run up a huge bill!

Experience I guess.

Always had new vans, and always had them remapped, and never had any issue with warranty claims within the warranty period. ( which weren't engine related anyway ).

Have yet to hear of anyone who has had to pay for a new engine within a warranty period due to being remapped by 15 percent. ( gonna google it now ).

I feel the same about wheels and suspension.

I suppose we all assess risk differently, and I don't think, based on my personal experience, that its much of a risk.

How do you think it would screw up emissions? It won't change the emissions but interested to know how you think it would.
They are adjusting fuel timing, pressure and duration which affects NOx and particulate matter. They don't even have the equipment to measure the likes of NOx so have no way of producing an emission compliant map if they tried (they don't try, emissions go out of the window and they focus purely on performance). Although the DPF will mask the increase in particulate matter, it will need to regen more often.

If anyone thinks these 'tuners' can produce a better calibration than VW (or any other OEM for that matter), they are delusional. Just because a remapped diesel passes the MoT smoke test, it doesn't mean it hasn't screwed up the emissions.

No not quite. Remaps deal with more boost, fuel and timing on wide open throttle and various high loads.
During the very light loads nothing changes, the ecu applys the same timing, same fuel and requests the same boost which probably won't even be in boost pressure.
Emissions will remain the same at certain loads especially the measured loads.

The increased intake manifold pressure is another issue but not a key reason for emissions going out the window which is why I didn't mention it. Every part of the calibration that has been changed from OEM has a high (almost certain) chance of different emissions and they won't be cleaner. The bottom line is that all vehicles with non OEM calibrations loaded run dirtier and the people who create these calibrations don't have the equipment to prove otherwise as they just aren't interested in that.

The increased intake manifold pressure is another issue but not a key reason for emissions going out the window which is why I didn't mention it. Every part of the calibration that has been changed from OEM has a high (almost certain) chance of different emissions and they won't be cleaner. The bottom line is that all vehicles with non OEM calibrations loaded run dirtier and the people who create these calibrations don't have the equipment to prove otherwise as they just aren't interested in that.
This is an eye opening thread.....@Mooncat, you seem to be well informed....jury's out for me but my T5 had been remapped prior to me buying it and I was well impressed....but MOT time was stressful. On the two MOT's I had done, emissions were a close run thing!

Back