Powering a camper from a power pack without a leisure battery?

Gary_M

VIP Member
I’ve only recently bought a Transporter and am now considering the power side of things.
I like the look of portable power packs and am wondering if these can be a true leisure battery replacement.
Onboard they seem to have many options with regards to outputs, 12V DC, 230V AC and USB A/C.
I’ll be looking to power a few down lights in the headlining, possibly a fridge and maybe a diesel heater. I’m assuming all these items would be fed from a 12V DC source. It’s pretty obvious how that would work from a leisure battery and fuse board but has anybody done similar from a power pack? I’d be interested in hearing what you did.

I’ve been looking at this and can’t see why you couldn’t wire the camper up exactly as you would for a standard leisure battery, then put a 12v input to it from a power pack - best of both worlds in my eyes, as you can take the power pack with you to use elsewhere as you want (providing you’re not running a fridge!).

We’re along the same line of thinking but I’d have to consider what the current draw would be if I was to do as you say and utilise one 12V DC port. May possibly have to split the load over multiple. I guess that depends on the power pack chosen. Thank you.

Forgot to add that charging from solar panels is easy with a power pack too, as most have a built in controller.

You”re right on needing to watch the load, however, most power packs can run their DC and AC outputs simultaneously, so I’d have lights, heater, etc on the DC, then plug 3 pin stuff direct into the power pack.

a few on here have done just as you mention. . .

the only draw back with these portable power packs is the slow recharge rate from 12v. . .

all are limited to the 100w / 8A input limiter, as above this the 12v plug socket will melt.. . . .

in a nutshell they can take longer to charge than drain down - so net effect is they run flat over the weekend ( unless you can recharge via mains mid way)

but there is an easy fix - fit a lithium battery alongside as a storage buffer battery, you can double, tripple, quadruple, . . . the run time of the PPP.

and if you need more, then you can fit solar or a dc-dc charger to recharge the storage battery.

++++++++++++++++

so they are great if you can charge at home and take with you,

or

you can charge from mains mid trip,

or

get a additional leisure battery as a storage battery, then use solar to charge the storage battery - that will intern charge the portable power pack.

+++++++++++++++++++

in my testing a PPP with a 100ah lithium storage battery and 100w solar will see most people self sufficient.

+++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
more info:

1689654523353.png

and here:

1689654562990.png

Storage battery 160W charge Hack:

1689654629579.png

build your own battery box:

1689654723840.png

building a bigger battery box:

1689654777236.png

building a Monster Portable setup:

1689654846344.png1689654857505.png

more on solar here:

@Dellmassive - you make a great point on the recharge time - my power consumption would be pretty modest (fridge has a separate internal battery), so I’d drawn the same conclusion that I’d be ok with a 120w solar cell topping up a 500ish Wh PPP.

Your idea on using a leisure battery to “trickle charge” the PPP is great, as that way you could have a solar panel on the van always charging the battery, and then that energy can go into the PPP at night, if you’d used it away from the van in the day… I’m guessing it’d need an extra solar controller and regulator for hooking the battery to the PPP, but when you look at the price someone like Bluetti charge for their additional battery, it is small change for 95% of the functionality. Excellent idea.

well so far my experience had always been that, no mater what PPP i took with me.

they always ended up flat before a 3day weekend was out.

so i added solar. . . . . . which helped.

but those cloudy or rainy days didn't help and wouldn't fully recharge the PPP by the end of the day . . . as the PPP was still powering the fridges and USB anbd lights etctect. . .

all that done was extend the run time - but ultimately i ended up with a flat PPP.

++++

so the next step was to add a second storage battery.

using a separate solar MPPT, victron in my case will dump power into the storage battery.

the cleaver thing with the storage battery is that the PPP can now recharge 24/7.

where as with solar it can only recharge during the short sunny day window.

so when my PPP is low at the end of the day - it keeps charging all night.

the following day its normally 100% charged.

+++++++++

this all depends on the size of the PPP, the size of your storage battery, and size of your solar.

but as above:

in my testing using any of the PPP`s i have.

a 100ah lithium storage battery and 200w has allowed me to be fully self-sufficient.

+++++++++

I've run loads of different setups. . .

1689666736432.png

the 160W 12v fast charge works realy well,

1689666758473.png

plus the storage battery box can be used stand alone in its own right.

1689666806715.png

1689666833394.png

this was a good setup that see us through a week easy . .

1689666867830.png

there are many benifits of a PPP.

1689666943632.png

at one point i had a stack of four storage batterys all linked together. . .

1689666987363.png

1689667016049.png

I've had the bluetti ac200max as well . . .

1689667046112.png

this see us through a week at silverstone. . .

1689667076745.png

just dont forget the solar. . .

this is 2x 200w renogy suitcase. . . at silverstone.

1689667126185.png

Very cool - appreciate the benefit of your experiments!

The plan is to get a PPP and solar panel, but now I’ll look at building a battery box as can see how much that adds in terms of power storage and flexibility - it’ll suit me especially well as camping and fishing away from the van demand the extra flexibility this will give. Thanks!

Back