Night-heater without a leisure battery?

Belly

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Looking to have a night heater fitted, I see it's advisable to power via a leisure battery which I don't have, for the same price as a leisure battery fitment I could buy a portable power bank which gives me a few more options. My question is would this be OK for my needs for the odd overnight camp.. I'm thinking about the auto therm heater BTW..

You will need to be able to draw a good 10A at least when the heater starts. Portable battery might not be up to it, depending on the spec.

We have got by, without a leisure battery, for a year or two, the desiel night heater is connected to the engine battery.
Our heater will turn off automatically if the voltage on battery drops below a certain level, although it’s never got to that point.
We carry a portable Noco jump starter as a back up anyway if the battery drained, see the threads on this forum.
We use the heater in evenings and mornings to warm van, we haven’t needed to run it all night, as we use an electric blanket/throw when it’s cold during sleeping, this is run off an ecoflow power bank.
Other times, if staying on a campsite with electric hookup, we tend to use a mini electric radiator ( Dimplex Chico 700w) as its completely silent.
All this has been temporary solutions, as we will be installing a lithium leisure battery soon, but the kit will use now will still come in useful.

Are you only fitting the heater for the odd overnight camp?

A mid sized power bank and decent heated blanket or throw might meet that need on it's own and need no install work.

Back