MOT: which class?

I’ll have to check the manual but once you had first mot the class is set
How many seats

Bugger, its has 5 fitted, 9 on the V5. Purely for family work and clearly presents itself as that.

I thought would be class 4 as it is a vehicle category is M1 that overrides the weight, the same as range rovers and other large SUVs? no?
But I suppose my cali is based on a T30 and your a T32?

Last edited:
That’s interesting! Got my first one coming up before end of year.
LWB Shuttle 8 seats.

I think maybe the 9 seater on V5 also contributes as the insurance also is a little iffy on that even though its M1 class. 9 seater is classed as a mini bus by some. I have changed captain seats so maybe I should get V5 changed to reflect that. My insurance covers it.

I took my converted T32 to my local council for its first MOT, specifically because they test camper vans as class 4.

0441DF9A-C656-484A-8B98-24AA9F6CE472.png

It’s all down to how you present the vehicle some mot testers let it go but they can ask to see v5 for first mot

I had to get my camper tested a week after buying and noticed rear seat belt very slow to retract, presented with child seat in it, can’t test vehicle belt oh dear gave me time to replace

I think the 9 seater on V5 is the key for me. I've just now sent it away to get it as an 8 seater (I changed front for 2 captains after buying it) and my old one was an 8 seater. It passed with no advisories, not that Im surprised, so I'll get it checked when going for next year and it will show as different on the DVLA system. I do only have 5 seats in it and the guy did say he wasnt sure so didnt want to do anything as there has been a few garages in the area getting into bother with not following system exactly.

Right just to clarify have you got it mot’ed ?
As this normally dictates what the vehicle will be tested on for the foreseeable future I hope your lucky but it might be too late,

It's done and passed on class 7. I'm sending the V5 away anyway to change and will ask next year before it gets done.

It's done and passed on class 7. I'm sending the V5 away anyway to change and will ask next year before it gets done.
Once it’s down as class seven that’s what the tester is obliged to test as, because as soon as you enter the reg and vin on mot site for test it will come up with the testing class

Seems to be a real grey area here. I am being told that regardless of seats etc, a T32 has to be MOT"d as a class 7 and any MOT station testing as otherwise is putting their license at risk. They checked with VOSA and, although I won't name them, trust them as a very reputable source of information and quality work.

That's correct afaik.

Due to the T32 being over 3000kg in weight.

Quote from Halfords.

What is a Class 7 MOT check?​

A Class 7 MOT is required for commercial vehicles with a gross weight between 3,000kg to 3,500kg, whereas cars and smaller vans used for commercial reasons will require a Class 4 MOT. If you’re unsure of what test your vehicle requires please refer to your vehicle handbook or V5 registration document.

The tests carried out in a Class 7 MOT are very similar to a Class 4 MOT; however, the tests are slightly more in-depth for a larger vehicle. Additional checks as part of a Class 7 test include further tests on whether the tyres are suitable to carry extra weight, and brake efficiency tests for additional safety.

My tester called Vosa for clarification and they told him to test my T32 Kombi as a class 4.

When I took my converted T32 to the council depot for an MOT the other week they tested it but told me that the usual garage could have done it despite them having advised me that they couldn't. It seems there's a fair bit of confusion around this.

If you tell the MOT tester that the vehicle is a motor caravan & not used for carrying goods, it will be tested as class 4.

Further reading

Back