MOT: which class?

Alan Walsh

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So I talked to my neighbour in the pub tonight and the subject of MOT's came up for a reason way too long to go into now, however the long shot is if you have a T32 and it happens to be of a Kombi 4motion flavour then it can go through a class 4 mot because its classed as a multi purpose vehicle. (he used to work for Landcover) and questioned it with the ministry and they confirmed it. Food for thought.

Pretty sure the 2 motion can if the unladen weight is under 2040kg.

Same rules apply for the speed limits!

Pretty sure the 2 motion can if the unladen weight is under 2040kg.

Same rules apply for the speed limits!

I think you can massage the unladen weight. VW allow for a 90% full fuel tank, a driver weighing 75kg or 90kg, spare wheel, etc etc when working out the unladen weight, by using a weigh bridge and keeping the ticket. In fact I think SVtech can do the same thing officially.
You can strip all those items back legally, and knock nearly 200kg of your unladen, which effectively you can then add to your payload.

Not sure how you can alter the speed limit, other than re-registering you vehicle as a motorhome or a car.

Hmmm getting it wrong by massaging the weights could result in a no mot situation, so imho not worth the grief as this also has an impact on insurance status.. Mot will go off the vehicles capability I.e. 3.2 t, not the vehicle empty weight Anyways...

Hmmm getting it wrong by massaging the weights could result in a no mot situation, so imho not worth the grief as this also has an impact on insurance status.. Mot will go off the vehicles capability I.e. 3.2 t, not the vehicle empty weight Anyways...
Not suggesting take any risks, talk to the experts at SVTech, what they do is 100% legal, I think:confused:

Dual purpose vehicles
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas
See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (Part 1 Regulation 3)for the full definition.

Wooooaaaahhh! This is interesting! So if they weigh less we could contest any come back re commercial speed limits. Let us know how you get on!

Hi @Alan Walsh.. Have you just been served a NIP or have you accepted the 3 points already?
if you are at the NIP stage then personally I would be acknowledging the fact that I was the driver and then I would be enclosing a letter that says you believe that your vehicle qualifies as dual purpose and is therefore subject to car speed limits. Maybe send a couple of photos of the side, back and seats in the back. See how that goes. It may be dropped there and then. If it goes further then drop me a line.
Cheers

I am going to get mine weighed as I have 3 points for a 69mph on a duel carriageway, If I can get it certified as below 2040kg then I should be able to appeal the ticket. Got to be worth a try.
I don't think anyone with 4motion has a hope of getting under 2040kg unladen weight. I have a 150ps Highline Kombi 4motion with the V5 stating mass in service weight as 2233kg so even taking off the driver and fuel amounts does not get it under 2040kg. Even tried taking it to the local weigh bridge with the rear seats removed and almost no diesel in it and it still came out at 2100kg, and that was before I started adding all the soundproofing. Seems like the 4motion is a heavy old piece of kit

Back