MOT: which class?

I have a T32 that is a PV on the V5 but in real life is fully converted. It’s been tested as class 7 previously.
In June I took it to the local HGV garage (out of warranty so no more dealer trips) and when I collected it he said he’d tested it as class 4 as it’s obviously a camper not a panel van and charged me £10 less too.

I have a T32 that is a PV on the V5 but in real life is fully converted. It’s been tested as class 7 previously.
In June I took it to the local HGV garage (out of warranty so no more dealer trips) and when I collected it he said he’d tested it as class 4 as it’s obviously a camper not a panel van and charged me £10 less too.
I'd read previously on here that once a vehicle has been tested under Class 7, then it will always be tested as a Class 7, but, clearly, from your experience that's not true.

Also, kudos to the tester for having some gumption and being honest.

I'd read previously on here that once a vehicle has been tested under Class 7, then it will always be tested as a Class 7, but, clearly, from your experience that's not true.

That was my understanding too. But see post #73. I suspect that this is due to the MOT system now being online based. When the tester puts in the Reg number the system automatically presents the tester with the correct test schedule for the vehicle, based on the previous test. It looks like there’s a workaround to re-categorise the class of MOT for a given vehicle. Knowing the DVLA, It’s probably complicated & not something that testers come across every day.

Reactions: Bav

He told me he’d changed it’s MOT category on the DVLA portal. I was expecting a new V5 but that didn’t happen so I guess it’s just an MOT thing.

Reactions: Bav
I took my T32 Kombi for a Class 4 MOT only to be told it needs Class 7 due to Gross weight. Is this what everyone else experiences?
I thought I’d done my research too!
Thanks.

50/50 phone a friend.

As it's a T32 it's over the 3 Ton weight.

So should be class 7.

I've had both class 4 and class 7 on my T32.

The class7 guy said it didn't need to go to class 7 garage, its the same test?

Last MOT was via VW all-in, they sent it to a third party garage for a class7 as apparently there MOT test bay ramps were only rated for 3.0Ton.

So officially class7, but a class4 garage can pass it.

Edit ,- our T32 is a panel van.

My T30 4Motion Kombi, 5 seats, has always been MOT tested as Class 4.
Went to get it tested last month at a different garage because I'd moved to the other side of the country, they tested it as a Class 7, saying that now, when they enter the plate into the computer it says it must be Class 7.
He showed me the VW sticker on the engine bulkhead driver's side that shows the maximum axle weights and the total maximum weight as 3080KG, so over 3 tonnes, hence Class 7, regardless of seats or windows.

My T32 Kombi is class 7 as was my previous van-a vito dualiner (crew cab) with a gvw of 3.1.

My T32 started life as a panel van and was class 7. Took it to a local goods tester to test it and when I went to collect it he said it should be class 4 as it’s a camper now and not commercial and he tested it as a class 4.
Seem to be a lot of variations.
Bottom line is that it makes virtually no difference but costs a fiver more.

Thank you for all your replies.
I tried to say it wasn't a goods van it was a Kombi and used as a camper (pop top + gas hob) but they were adamant it went on Gross weight. What can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my experience Class 7 is no big deal. I don’t think it’s that much more expensive or harder to pass and there’s plenty of places that do class 7

On my Factory T32 4motion SWB Kombi all my previous 3No MOT's have been done as a class 7 as it was just as easy i had a garage local to me anyway, this year that garage had closed but my mate had opened up an MOT centre so it went there, just to be sure he checked with a friend who is an ex MOT garage ministry inspector if it could be done as a class 4, he asked to see photo's of the van and the factory rating plate (3200kg) before giving his verdict which was, no problem changing it to class 4.
I did ask my mate about the MOT ramp and equipment and his set up is rated at 5ton, don't know if this had anything to do with it or not.

If it's a campervan, then it's a class 4 test regardless of weight. Only issue if your equipment can't handle the size and weight.

A 3 ton ramp should be fine with a t32 model, as it is highly unlikely to weigh over that unless you have a few dead bodies too many in the back.

Likewise a kombi t32 model is tested as a class 4. Unfortunately if a station tests as a wrong class, then if caught will have a problem on their hands.

Reactions: DXX
Back