MOT: which class?

I don't think anyone with 4motion has a hope of getting under 2040kg unladen weight. I have a 150ps Highline Kombi 4motion with the V5 stating mass in service weight as 2233kg so even taking off the driver and fuel amounts does not get it under 2040kg. Even tried taking it to the local weigh bridge with the rear seats removed and almost no diesel in it and it still came out at 2100kg, and that was before I started adding all the soundproofing. Seems like the 4motion is a heavy old piece of kit
Ah... yep... if it's a 4 motion you might be screwed!

if you are at the NIP stage then personally I would be acknowledging the fact that I was the driver and then I would be enclosing a letter that says you believe that your vehicle qualifies as dual purpose and is therefore subject to car speed limits. Maybe send a couple of photos of the side, back and seats in the back. See how that goes. It may be dropped there and then. If it goes further then drop me a line.
Cheers
Mine was 6 months ago now, I think that ship has sailed:(, I was thinking for future when I look down and am doing 68mph on a duely out of habit. Thanks for the offer of help though, much appreciated.

Mine was 6 months ago now, I think that ship has sailed:(, I was thinking for future when I look down and am doing 68mph on a duely out of habit. Thanks for the offer of help though, much appreciated.
Yeah that ship has long gone. You can appeal a conviction (essentially what a ticket is) BUT I would not recommend it!! The magistrates are unlikley to be impressed and it could get costly.

I have accepted it (not without cursing at the Dealers but ultimately I should have checked!),
My mass in service says 2311Kg, so probably no chance of of getting down to 2040Kg.:(:(:(. I am going to try the local council weigh bridge next week to see what my actual weight is at the moment without tools in.

I have accepted it (not without cursing at the Dealers but ultimately I should have checked!),
My mass in service says 2311Kg, so probably no chance of of getting down to 2040Kg.:(:(:(. I am going to try the local council weigh bridge next week to see what my actual weight is at the moment without tools in.
Fair enough. Just over 250kg is a fair bit to have to lose...

If like me, you are one of those members with one of the first registered T6’s, you’ll shortly be needing to get your van MOT’d for the 1st time.

I haven’t had a vehicle MOT’d for at least 10 years as i’ve not owned one that has seen it’s 3rd birthday for that long.
Equally i’ve never owned a van before and have read various things around the Forum relating to T32’s and MOT requirements.

As a result of all of these things I have done some digging and spoken to a Ministry test station.

A T32 Kombi = class 4 MOT.
This is because despite it being over 3000kg and under 3500kg maximum design weight, it is a dual purpose vehicle, and a dual purpose vehicle is a class 4.

A T32 PV = class 7 MOT
This is because it can’t claim dual purpose as per the above.

Class 7 only applies to T32 derivative of Transporter, as the category is “goods vehicles over 3,000kg up to 3,500kg”.

If you have a T30 your maximum design weight is 3,000kgs therefore class 4 “goods vehicle up to 3,000kg”.

Hope this may assist, and clear a bit of the MOT uncertainty.

Interesting topic, I have a T5.1 t32 that I use for work, class 7 no question. My T6 t32, is a full camper conversion & has been reclassified as a "motor caravan" by the DVLA & an appropriate V5 issued. So when it comes up for MOT, is it class 4 or 7?

Hmm - I have just booked my T32 Kombi in for a service and have booked for a class 7 MOT. I have had a pop top roof and full width rib bed added, no kitchen units or table so not a full camper conversion. It has been sound deadened and carpeted

Mass in service on the V5 is 2118KG.

What MOT should I have and what speed limits do I need to adhere to?? I thought I had worked it all out but I'm now not so sure!!

Last edited:
What's the potential concern / issue with getting a class 7 mot? From what I've read it's essentially the same mot, just something about needing larger ramp for heavier vehicles and checking tyre load rating?

Commercials over 3000kg to 3500kg need class7 MOT.

T32 is rated upto 3200kg.

Same test though asaik

Getting an MOT

My T32 Kombi has been MOT'd as a class 4 for the last couple of years, originally no conversion, then converted. Not 4 motion either. MOT class will make no difference to speed limits, its whether its M1 or N1 on your log book that counts

Mot’d twice, and my T32 kombi has gone through both of them as class 4.

Back