MOT: which class?

Looking like my T32 Kombi will also need a class 7 MOT, I've spoken to both my usual MOT testing stations and neither can do it as a class 4...

For anyone that has a REGISTERED motor caravan (camper conversion) it remains a Class IV. I once uprated a 24' motorhome to 3850kg and that remained a Class IV also.

My T32 Kombi has been MOT'd as a class 4 for the last couple of years, originally no conversion, then converted. Not 4 motion either. MOT class will make no difference to speed limits, its whether its M1 or N1 on your log book that counts

Hi chaps - I just bought a used T32 4Motion - my V5C clearly states N1 - major bummer considering it's for family / leisure use only !

The N1 elements is a piece of EU legislation - I wonder if you could their contest this in a UK court of law if purportedly caught speeding ?

If I was in your position, I think I'd rather see the original as, personally, I wouldn't trust anything that came out of Russia (apart, maybe, from my Planar heater!).

Ok. I'm new here and I am in the class 4 or class 7 quagmire as well. We have T6 T32 Kombi which as is pointed out above is a class 4. My question is: Once we convert to full camper knowing that we are no longer able to have the V5 re-classified as camper, do I loose my dual purpose and therefore making me subject to class 7 regs?

Ok. I'm new here and I am in the class 4 or class 7 quagmire as well. We have T6 T32 Kombi which as is pointed out above is a class 4. My question is: Once we convert to full camper knowing that we are no longer able to have the V5 re-classified as camper, do I loose my dual purpose and therefore making me subject to class 7 regs?
If it’s a camper it’s class 4 anyway regardless of what the V5 says. The vehicle is tested by the tester “as presented” so if you present it as a camper it will go through as class 4. Also, once it has been tested as class 4 (in its Kombi guise) the classification stays with it for life. So once tested as class 4, always tested as class 4.

still a lot of mot’ers arguing the class but defo class for if v5 states motor caravan not sure where you stand if not on v5 cause they will and request to see v5, bloody annoying I can’t test my own have to get mine done next week waiting for the argument already

Ok. I'm new here and I am in the class 4 or class 7 quagmire. We have T6 T32 Kombi which I assumed was subject to the normal MOT. Took the van to my local tyre place yesterday to look into getting some nice alloys fitted. Tyre guy told me I could not because my Kombi is subject to class 7 regs and the tyres on my new 19" alloys would not meet the load requirements - the load on the new tyres would be 105 whereas he's saying for my van I need 107.

Been to 4 MOT centres this morning to to try and get to the bottom of it and 2 are saying she's class 7, 2 are saying regardless of gross weight because she's dual purpose she's class 4.

I need to know what class she is for the purpose of getting the wheels changed - if she is class 7 then is a 105 load tyre not MOT legal. But more importantly - if she is class 4 then once we convert her to full camper knowing that we are no longer able to have the V5 re-classified as camper, do I loose my dual purpose and therefore making me subject to class 7 regs by default?

Can anyone help please? This seems like a total minefield....

TIA

Those tyres will be fine.
Minimum load rating for a T32 is 103.

Many thanks Ali-G. YNWA.

My local tyre guy is telling me I must run commercial tyres rated at 107 to 109.

I want to run 19" rims on 275/40/19 with a load of 105?

Many thanks Ali-G. YNWA.

My local tyre guy is telling me I must run commercial tyres rated at 107 to 109.

I want to run 19" rims on 275/40/19 with a load of 105?

Ask him where it is stated that a commercial vehicle must run 107-109 tyres?
Current thinking is min 103 as this supports the maximum permissible axle weight.

I'd take it to the MOT place that 'correctly' thinks it is a Class 4 as it is dual purpose.

Ask him where it is stated that a commercial vehicle must run 107-109 tyres?
Current thinking is min 103 as this supports the maximum permissible axle weight.

I'd take it to the MOT place that 'correctly' thinks it is a Class 4 as it is dual purpose.

I'm with you and I see no problem with what I want to do under class 4 regs and no reason why it should be a problem under class 7 regs.

I'm still not sure what class it falls into though - I've spoken with 3 VW commercial centres who do MOT's and they have all said she's a class 7?!

As long as you have 103 rated tyres on it should fly through both, for the tyres anyway ;)

If its Class 4, then you could put any tyre on there as long as the tread is ok.... Not recommended mind!

My old t32 kombi went through as a class 4 at the second time of trying. Usual place didn't want to agree that it was dual purpose and said it had to be class 7 which they couldn't do. Only one class 7 place local to me so booked it in, took it down there and they said it would go through as a class 4 so not even testers can agree.

My t32 kombi went through its first mot as a class 4 (which I believe then sets the class for all future mots) however, I had to use a test centre that does class 7 due to the weight limits on most lifts, even though the van wasn’t carrying any load the theoretical max weight would exceed the limits of most class 4 mot stations I spoke to so they couldn’t mot it...

Has anyone had a first MoT performed at a VW Van Centre?
Had an MoT booked for first thing Monday morning but annoyingly got a message this afternoon that they can't test it - I think because it's a T32 and technically it exceeds their lift limit.
So I need to re-book - am thinking of running up to Listers VW Droitwich.
Mine is a T32 Kombi now converted to a camper so am assuming it will be Class 4 as presented.
What is the real implication of Class 4 vs Class 7 though - is it cost, limitations on where it can be tested, or something I'm missing completely?

As far as I know - and the little I know I have learned since I picked up our 2018 T32 factory kombi 2 weeks ago - the only difference is the limitations on where you can get it tested. You need to be sure your tyres are correctly load rated - I don't think they check the wheels. Even the price you can get down to a class 4 price if you shop round. I think the test is essentially the same but for a higher weight vehicle. 50% of the places I tried said they would put it through as class 4 as it is dual purpose. The other 50% said class 7 as it's gross is 3200Kg. Both VW commercial centres I took it to that offer MOT's said class 7 due to gross weight regardless of the dual purpose angle. I went to them with a Kombi though, not a converted camper like yours.

Interesting thread, sorry to rake it over again. For an unconverted T32 Kombi, as best I can tell, it could be class 4 or 7 MOT depending on the exact specification of the van. That is because to qualify as a dual purpose vehicle and hence a class 4 MOT, the unladen weight has to be less than 2040kg. Looking at the 2018 T6 brochure (all weights include 75kg for the driver and 90% full fuel tank) most of the T32 models would just sneak in under 2040kg by the time you take off 75kg for the driver but a few don't. Essentially none of the 4Motion models come under 2040 less 75kg and neither does the 150ps DSG Highline LWB. I suppose some of it may also come down to how bothered the MOT station are to get an accurate unladen weight for the vehicle. Am I correct or have I missed something?

Back