MOT: which class?

If you tell the MOT tester that the vehicle is a motor caravan & not used for carrying goods, it will be tested as class 4.
If you were pulled by the Police or had an accident requiring an insurance claim with ‘goods’ onboard with a Class 4 MOT I’m guessing you are not compliant with the law.
I’ve already heard of cases of the Police prosecuting tradesmen driving on ’social and domestic’ insurance.

If you tell the MOT tester that the vehicle is a motor caravan & not used for carrying goods, it will be tested as class 4.
That depends on the MOT tester and their interpretation of the rules. What is the clear definition for this purpose I wonder? The guy at the council just said to me that it's because it's "obviously not a van any more" which is true in my case but in others this could be far from clear cut.

If you were pulled by the Police or had an accident requiring an insurance claim with ‘goods’ onboard with a Class 4 MOT I’m guessing you are not compliant with the law.
I’ve already heard of cases of the Police prosecuting tradesmen driving on ’social and domestic’ insurance.
And quite rightly too. But my post related to motor caravans. My T32 conversion is tested as class 4. If I “cheated” and subsequently carried goods, then on my head be it.

That depends on the MOT tester and their interpretation of the rules. What is the clear definition for this purpose I wonder? The guy at the council just said to me that it's because it's "obviously not a van any more" which is true in my case but in others this could be far from clear cut.
See the statement from VOSA included in the motor homes link on my post. The tester has to test the vehicle “as presented”.MH MOT.JPG

Last edited:
Well the van sailed through its first MOT (Class 7) with no issues at all despite being overdue by about 6 weeks. This was on me as I hadn't realised the MOT was due when I bought the van back in September. As far as I can tell, being tested as class 7 is only really a disadvantage due to a small increase in cost but mostly down to it limiting the number of test stations you can use. Fortunately I found a garage literally round the corner from me that squeezed me in during their lunch break so class 7 isn't really an issue for me. Super helpful and knowledgeable and happy to recommend if you are looking for a helpful garage in the Emsworth (PO10) area. They (and many other stations) are flat out as the result of the COVID measures last year that allowed people to delay tests means everyone is compressed in to the next few months. They were very clear on the rules in terms of it had to be tested as class 7, but totally appreciated that the grey around what I could do to make it qualify as a class 4 (i.e. adding weight in the form of a bed, sink etc)... On the plus side, it's the only TSi SWB T6 they have ever seen and the only issue was a tweak to the headlight alignment.

Thanks for the help from this forum. Everyday is a school day.

That's not my understanding, the Halfords quote is not complete. Some T32 kombis are class 4 because they meet the requirement to be a Dual Purpose Vehicle (same old story as speed limits). If the windows and seats are in the right place AND the unladen weight is under 2040kg they will be dual purpose vehicles and hence class 4. Some factory T32 Kombis are under 2040kg unladen some are over 2040kg unladen; depends on the spec and model, this is why it is so confusing. It is further confusing as many MOT stations don't understand the dual purpose vehicle exemption. Plus, if mistakenly tested as class 4 first time around instead of class 7 (or vice versa) it will always be tested as the class it was tested as first time regardless of whether it was a mistake or not. It is actually very straightforward for an unconverted T32 kombi - some are class 4 some are class 7.

You can't join those two unrelated things together in that way. It is perfectly legal to carry goods around in any class 4 vehicle presuming of course that you have the correct 'business' insurance for that vehicle.

My unladen weight is 2090kg (on the V5) so I guess class 7 is correct for my van.
Unladen or mass in service?
My V5 states a Mass in Service of 2118kg which is under 2000 kg unladen (75kg driver and 75% fuel load iirc). This is for a LWB Highline Kombi manual gearbox. The 4Mo DSG can go above the limit but I think most others do scrape in under 2040 kg.

Re-awakening a nearly-dead thread here, but I just got off the phone with DVSA (on Telephone: 0300 123 9000) and the chap was very clear that my T6 150ps T32 DSG Kombi (pop-up converted last year, hasn't been reclassified or anything) is (and always was) a dual-purpose vehicle and as such could be Class 4 tested "as presented" no matter that it has previously been put through as Class 7. The problem was its MOT history shows that it was first (and second) tested as a class 7. Anyway, he said that if the garage had trouble recording it as having had a class 4 test they should call in (and follow "option 1" then "option 2") and the DVSA would walk them through resolving it. Fingers crossed for next Tuesday when it's booked in for a Class 4! The defining characteristics of "Dual purpose vehicle" are summarised here: Car-derived vans and dual purpose vehicles (with a link to the full legislative detail ..)!

Hmm, interesting.
I've always thought of my van (full camper) as being dual purpose, but when you read the full legislation I'm not so sure.
My Reimo 3000 bed is technically a second row of seats, but they're not permanent as you can remove them if you wanted to.
Also, as a full camper I wouldn't say that it was designed to carry goods either.

TBH you can (without tools) remove the second row of seats in an unconverted Kombi (though I'd advise a second pair of hands and strong arms...) if you wanted to.

Hmm, interesting.
I've always thought of my van (full camper) as being dual purpose, but when you read the full legislation I'm not so sure.
My Reimo 3000 bed is technically a second row of seats, but they're not permanent as you can remove them if you wanted to.
Also, as a full camper I wouldn't say that it was designed to carry goods either.
I was under the impression that if a van presented as a camper then Class 4 MOT and car speed limits apply, regardless of whether it meets dual-purpose criteria. Have I got that wrong?

I was under the impression that if a van presented as a camper then Class 4 MOT and car speed limits apply, regardless of whether it meets dual-purpose criteria. Have I got that wrong?
Correct as long as it’s under 3030kg unladen IIRC.

Reactions: Bav

Yes, I think you're right.

Yes, I think you're right.
It was a while back I read the actual legislation - I don't think it quite clarifies the distinction between "on the V5" and "with reference to the road traffic act" (for speed limits and MOT class) - well, in point of fact, I don't think it references the V5 at all. Camper "re-classification" (post-conversion) by the DVSA is not the same as "presenting to the MOT tester"....

Camper "re-classification" (post-conversion) by the DVSA is not the same as "presenting to the MOT tester"....
Correct - how a van is classified on the V5 is not relevant when determining if it presents as a camper. Unfortunately, speed cameras often use the V5 classification when issuing automated fines, but these can be successfully challenged if the van meets the criteria for a camper (and, of course, if you weren't exceeding car speed limits).

So where on the MOT certificate does it say what type of MOT in went in for previously. My MOT is due on the 26th and Im confused as to what I should be taking it for class 4 or 7. Its a 2016 Kombi and the log book says in "category"its N1

Correct as long as it’s under 3030kg unladen IIRC.
it says 2040 kg on the govt website - or did i mis understand ?
is that in relation to campers ?
mine is a t6 150 swb (kombi, not camper), weighed empty it was 2020 kg.
i took it to a class 7 mot garage but it went through as a class 4.

it says 2040 kg on the govt website - or did i mis understand ?
is that in relation to campers ?
mine is a t6 150 swb (kombi, not camper), weighed empty it was 2020 kg.
i took it to a class 7 mot garage but it went through as a class 4.
Yes, the 3030kg is the max unladen weight for "presenting as a camper".

Back